Wireless bluetooth EAR BUDS recommendations

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,938
Reaction score
13,676
The LG tone free fp9. Sounds balanced with a slightly warm signature in the lower mids/upper bass region which makes vocals sound natural. Soundstage has good width and depth. Extremely comfortable and the buds are small and sleek. ANC is not as good as the Sony xm4, but the excellent fit and passive isolation blocks out most external noise. Passthrough is loud enough but sounds a bit metallic. Touch and holding the buds cycle between ANC and passthrough modes, but doesn't cycle to ANC/passthrough off, which is a bummer. To turn off ANC/passthrough, it can only be done in the app. Speaking of the app, it offers various presets and 2 custom EQ, and the ability to customise the touch controls, including volume control.

2iCi3fT.jpg


The case also acts as a Bluetooth transmitter. It works pretty well and is straightforward to use, just flip the switch at the side of the case. The case doesn't have wireless charging. The size of the case is a tad thicker and wider than the current Samsung square case design.

GhqeV2N.jpg
 

dreamaurora

Master Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2001
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
861
Hello, I will like to check if marshall TWS is a good buy if I listen to rock music (guns n roses, Aerosmith etc)?

Not sure about Marshall, but rock music tends to favor TWS with more treble and mid emphasis like those by Audio Technica. I have a Audio Technica CKR7TW and it is my daily commuting earpiece, really excellent for classical and metal music (I listen to a lot of BabyMetal and Passcode).
 

dreamaurora

Master Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2001
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
861
I get what you mean but for me the difference between a $100 and $300 TWS is the sum of it's features and it greatly affects my day to day usage and enjoyment of my music and ease of use.

I guess to each their own.

I got quite a lot of TWS. I have a couple of premium ones (ATH-CKR7W and Mavin Air-X) and then a bunch other cheaper ones like Sudio Niva, Jays m-seven. Wife has a Jabra Elite 3 and used to have Elite 65t Active. Sound quality for premium ones is definitely a step up compared to cheaper ones; better clarity and instrument separation.

But I have to say that thanks to stiff competition the newer ones are offering pretty good sound quality for the money. I am very surprised at the sound quality of Jabra Elite 3 that my wife uses, and I also just auditioned the new Jabra Elite 4 Active. I remembered auditioning Earfun Pro a few months ago and I was also impressed. For below $150 you really can get very good sound quality compared to a few years ago. These newer TWS totally blew those past generations ones like Sudio Niva and 65t out of the water. Not as refined and precise as those $300+ RRP ones, but still very much competent and enjoyable.

On a side note, I've just ordered Klipsch T5-ii Sports from Amazon to replace my Mavin. It's selling for $141 SGD now. Hope it's good.
 

dreamaurora

Master Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2001
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
861
i didnt trade in. i went to challenger and they told me no trade in needed and its $128 hahahha

I was deliberating between this and Klipsch T5 ii Sports. In the end went with the Klipsch coz it’s just $13 more. But I never auditioned the Klipsch coz lazy to go down to TC Acoustic, so don’t know how it compares in sound quality.
 

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
32,164
Reaction score
762
The LG tone free fp9. Sounds balanced with a slightly warm signature in the lower mids/upper bass region which makes vocals sound natural. Soundstage has good width and depth. Extremely comfortable and the buds are small and sleek. ANC is not as good as the Sony xm4, but the excellent fit and passive isolation blocks out most external noise. Passthrough is loud enough but sounds a bit metallic. Touch and holding the buds cycle between ANC and passthrough modes, but doesn't cycle to ANC/passthrough off, which is a bummer. To turn off ANC/passthrough, it can only be done in the app. Speaking of the app, it offers various presets and 2 custom EQ, and the ability to customise the touch controls, including volume control.

2iCi3fT.jpg


The case also acts as a Bluetooth transmitter. It works pretty well and is straightforward to use, just flip the switch at the side of the case. The case doesn't have wireless charging. The size of the case is a tad thicker and wider than the current Samsung square case design.

GhqeV2N.jpg
Is this the one which can wire connect to any device and then stream BT???
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,938
Reaction score
13,676
Is this the one which can wire connect to any device and then stream BT???
Yup this is the one that can be wired from any device's headphone jack to the charging case, then the charging case will act as a bluetooth transmitter to the wireless earbuds. The other brand which got this feature is b&w pi7 but that model the battery life is much shorter and expensive. The LG tone free fp9 is a much better alternative.
 

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
Yup this is the one that can be wired from any device's headphone jack to the charging case, then the charging case will act as a bluetooth transmitter to the wireless earbuds. The other brand which got this feature is b&w pi7 but that model the battery life is much shorter and expensive. The LG tone free fp9 is a much better alternative.
Cheaper alternative definitely is LG. However if you want absolute best sound quality definitely Pi7. Dual driver and Aptx HD.
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,938
Reaction score
13,676
Cheaper alternative definitely is LG. However if you want absolute best sound quality definitely Pi7. Dual driver and Aptx HD.
Dual driver don't necessary mean better sound quality. Would prefer LDAC over aptx hd. Codec also needs to see if it's implemented well on both the device and buds, and the tuning. I've buds on AAC that sounds better than aptx.
 

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
Dual driver don't necessary mean better sound quality. Would prefer LDAC over aptx hd. Codec also needs to see if it's implemented well on both the device and buds, and the tuning. I've buds on AAC that sounds better than aptx.
Tried Sony LDAC and did not find it special. The Pi7 is the best sounding i have tried so far. Second on the line is Gemini and Sony is third. I still have the Pi7 and Gemini and listened to them at length. Sold Sony after 5 days. Lol.
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,938
Reaction score
13,676
Tried Sony LDAC and did not find it special. The Pi7 is the best sounding i have tried so far. Second on the line is Gemini and Sony is third. I still have the Pi7 and Gemini and listened to them at length. Sold Sony after 5 days. Lol.
I have Sony and technics az60. LDAC resolves details better in the highs like hi hats and cymbals. Most buds just tune the highs brighter to cover the shortfall of resolution, while buds with LDAC tends to resolve highs more effortlessly. Like the Sony which is supposed to be a pair of dark sounding pair of buds, but the resolution in highs is excellent despite the sound signature not being a bright one.
 

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
I have Sony and technics az60. LDAC resolves details better in the highs like hi hats and cymbals. Most buds just tune the highs brighter to cover the shortfall of resolution, while buds with LDAC tends to resolve highs more effortlessly. Like the Sony which is supposed to be a pair of dark sounding pair of buds, but the resolution in highs is excellent despite the sound signature not being a bright one.
Agreed that Sony is dark sounding. Very consumer friendly. Most people will liked it. Is a excellent complete package no doubt. However after closer comparison to Pi7. Pi7 still have better details and it is so smooth. That is how good Pi7 is.
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,938
Reaction score
13,676
Agreed that Sony is dark sounding. Very consumer friendly. Most people will liked it. Is a excellent complete package no doubt. However after closer comparison to Pi7. Pi7 still have better details and it is so smooth. That is how good Pi7 is.
The pi7 unfortunately has a few deal breakers for me, like lack of volume control. And the short battery life is a concern for me as well. If I don't need the bluetooth transmitter, the pi7 wouldn't be in my consideration.
 

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
The pi7 unfortunately has a few deal breakers for me, like lack of volume control. And the short battery life is a concern for me as well. If I don't need the bluetooth transmitter, the pi7 wouldn't be in my consideration.
Get the Pi7 only for the sound quality and noise cancellation. One of the few that does not change the sound signature in ANC mode. The Sony volume control can be assigned but you lose other controls. The complete package i agreed is XM4. I do liked something that is more exclusive and not so crowd favorite. 😅
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,938
Reaction score
13,676
Get the Pi7 only for the sound quality and noise cancellation. One of the few that does not change the sound signature in ANC mode. The Sony volume control can be assigned but you lose other controls. The complete package i agreed is XM4. I do liked something that is more exclusive and not so crowd favorite. 😅
Actually nowadays most tws earbuds don't change the sound signature when ANC is active already, unlike initially when tws earbuds just came out and turning on ANC resulted in a bass boost. For me currently, LG tone free fp9 is the best all rounder for me.
 

musicsg_com

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
852
Reaction score
21
I just completed my review of the LG FP9 and I agree with @DigDub that it is excellent for its value. Audio quality wise it's not the best, I still like AZ60 for its details and clarity but ultimately I go back to AZ70 for its even more detailed balance sound. Again it depends on your listening preference - bass, treble, or neutral. FP9 offers Meridian HSP out-of-head tuning which I thought makes listening a bit more fun. I ran it through some of my tracks and enjoyed it, but not all tracks work, as usual. I also like FP9 wear comfort, the tips exert less pressure on my in-ears.

LG-Tone-Free-FP9_5.jpg


There is so much to cover on what I have experienced, like how intuitive it feels, it's in the link below.
https://musicphotolife.com/2022/01/lg-tone-fp9-review/
 

peaceheart

Banned
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
106,436
Reaction score
27,637
I just completed my review of the LG FP9 and I agree with
@DigDub
that it is excellent for its value. Audio quality wise it's not the best, I still like
AZ60
for its details and clarity but ultimately I go back to AZ70 for its even more detailed balance sound. Again it depends on your listening preference - bass, treble, or neutral. FP9 offers Meridian HSP out-of-head tuning which I thought makes listening a bit more fun. I ran it through some of my tracks and enjoyed it, but not all tracks work, as usual. I also like FP9 wear comfort, the tips exert less pressure on my in-ears.
LG-Tone-Free-FP9_5.jpg

There is so much to cover on what I have experienced, like how intuitive it feels, it's in the link below.
https://musicphotolife.com/2022/01/lg-tone-fp9-review/

Very nice website
 

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
32,164
Reaction score
762
Wanna share my recent review of the baseus Encok W04 Pro wireless earphones and whether is it the Best Alternative for Apple Airpods

In the past few months, I have tested quite a few wireless earbuds from Baseus, namely, WM01, W03 and I will be re-doing a review on the WM01 plus *SPOILER ALERT* haha! And now it is the W04 Pro. Other than that, I also have other products from Baseus, such as charging cable, cable organisers, USB port adapters.

And I must say that I have been pretty impressed with the build quality and reliability of their products.

Now, the W04 Pro retails for S$25 or S$35 on Lazada Singapore, depending whether you want the Pro or Non-Pro.
Pro comes with USB-C & wireless charging, while the Non-Pro comes with just USB-C port

So I have been testing the W04 Pro for technically speaking one day, if we don’t include the need to charge them the night before. But before you go out and hit that “BUY” button, I specially highlighted the Top 3 things you should consider first.

For microphone tests, feel free to check out my video and go to the later half.

Basic features
  • Dimensions: (L) 45mm x (W) 23mm x (H) 56mm
  • Weight: Charging case: 32g. Earbuds: 6g
  • Touch controls on earphone head.
  • Earhone: Up to 5 hours. Charging case: Up to 15 hours.
  • USB-C port, Wireless Charging (Pro only)
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • 13mm Dynamic driver
  • IP54 water & dust proof rating.

#1: Battery Life
  • Let’s talk about the 1st major thing to consider about the W04 Pro and that is BATTERY LIFE
  • The battery sizes of both casing and the earbuds are 400mAh and 37mAh respectively.
  • The company claimed that the earbuds can last Up to 5 hours on a single charge
  • The casing can provide an additional 15 hours, giving the user a total of 20 hours.

  • On my testing, the earphones lasted around 5.5 hours on music at 100% volume.
  • Talktime on the W04 Pro was around 5 hours as well
  • For mixed usage, it lasted 4 hours (3-hour Music 100% and 1 hours Talktime)

  • The case was able to provide 3.5 charges to both earphones.
  • The case takes around 1 hr to charge the earbuds 0-100
  • It takes around 1.5 hrs via cable and 3 hrs via wireless charging.
  • Overall, the battery life performance is quite on-par with what the company advertised.

#2 Functionality
  • Now, let’s move on to the 2nd major thing to consider. It’s day-to-day Functionality.
  • Initial BT pairing experience with my Apple iPhone 12 Mini was an absolute delight.
  • Once you open the lid, you will see “Baseus Encok W04 Pro” pop up on the BT profile screen.
  • Tap on it and it only takes 2 seconds to complete pairing.

  • Once you put the earphones on, it is easy to forget you have them on as they feel almost weightless, similar to Apple Airpods.
  • W04 Pro doesn’t trap heat. so I do not feel any ear fatigue even if I wear them for 4 to 5 hours straight.
  • Just like the Apple Airpods, W04 Pro doesn’t go into your ear canals, which is excellent for people who don’t like things going into their ears.

  • The bluetooth connection is very stable. I did not experience any intermittent disconnection.
  • In terms of controls, W04 Pro comes pre-installed with a few touch commands, namely:
  • For music

  • 2x R Play/pause
  • 3x L previous track
  • 3 x R next track

  • For calls
  • 2x L/R Answer or hang up the call
  • Long press L/R reject call

  • Others
  • 2x L Activate Voice Assistant (Google/Siri)

  • The touch controls are very responsive. Since the touch controls are located on the earphone heads, so you don’t need to worry about accidentally skipping a track or ending a call if you grab the stem to make some adjustments.
  • Too bad Baseus did not include any single tap for vol control.
  • For those of you who want more control, the Baseus app do not support W04 Pro.

  • When it comes to gyming, working out, jogging, the IP54 water & dust proof rating is really handy. As this means that you don’t need to worry about some water and dust damaging your earphones if they drop out.
  • But seriously, Will they drop out? Well, they didn’t move at all when I was jogging. But, I won’t really recommend them for workouts or exercises which have wide and sudden movements
  • If you still want, I will strongly recommend you to get earhooks or earwings.


#3 Sound quality
  • Now, Moving on to the 3rd major thing to consider is Sound quality.
  • The W04 Pro uses 13mm drivers. It supports SBC and AAC.
  • During my listening, the lack of proper seal and fit, means I can hear the music and all the outside noises like it’s nobody’s business. And this has a direct impact on the sound enjoyment level. It is fine at home or in quiet places such as library or an empty cafe. But its difficult, if you are in a bus or train or noisy environment.
  • Good thing is that the volume output is loud thanks to the big 13mm drivers.
  • The company claimed it was supplemented by a high-elastic PU composite diaphragm which can restore delicate vocal, instrumental music and a solid surging drumbeat.
  • Sounds fancy right? But is that the case in the Real World?
  • Vocals are clear
  • But no surging drumbeats and definitely little to no bass.
  • Overall, music quality is only so-so.
  • When it comes to watching videos through Youtube and Netflix. there is almost no sound delay.
  • For gaming, there is some slight Sound effect delay. But i feel it is still ok for casual gaming.


Mic quality
  • For microphone tests, feel free to check out my video and go to the later half to hear the Mic quality of these earphones. Remember to put on your headphones.


Final Verdict
  • Are they worth it? Should you buy the Baseus W04 Pro or get something else? Well, putting aside the only major drawback is that it lacks the sound quality of the Airpods, I personally feel the W04 Pro is a far cheaper alternative to the AirPods for casual listening or watching videos privately, and people who don’t want things sticking into their ears.
  • The microphone quality is also loud and clear enough for calls and video conferencing.
  • If you don’t need the wireless charging feature, you can save a further S$10 :)


 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top