Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cokiee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
0
How do you tell? Althought Im thinking below SGD300 should be corrected grain as well..

harbouring a guess really, from sheen and the way the leather seems to fold rather than crease. That said, thundermarch is right - very hard to tell from photos. Do note that price however is not a good measure :)
 

brightside

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
1
Why don't u order Loake 1880 from Robinson shoes online this weekend with the 20% discount coupon. Original price 180 UKP (less VAT), thus free shipping. Less 20% 144 UKP. Depending on the exchange rate u are charged, only S$255, and u get calf leather instead of polished corrected grain, plus half size 9.5 which might suits you better.

Thanks for the suggestion! Initially wanted to get online too. But i think for my first pair, just for the sake of fitting and peace of mind, I decided to buy locally. For subsequent pairs, i might get em online once I'm more familiar with fitting and the different brands/looks available.

Corrected grain leather has a thick opaque topcoat / paint-like layer that's been used after heavy buffing of the grain surface to cover up obvious imperfections.
This topcoat gives a very artificial, plastic-like sheen / appearance.
On close observation, you will also note that none of the typical surface features of full grain leather (ie, normal hide texture, hair follicle openings, even vein shadows) will be seen. The surface is quite flat and feature-less.
I'm sorry as I am not familiar enough with Loake's offerings to know which lines are CG and which are FG, and based on superficial observations of your photos, I can't be absolutely certain.
I'm sure though, that the 1880 line is FG.

Thanks! The pair i got were these - http://www.loake.co.uk/byrange/l1/260.html

Just bought them today at $239 :) Pretty happy with the purchase. Im a UK9! Tried the 8 and i couldnt even put my foot in.... haha.
 

confidante

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Thanks..

I would like to enquire if I should get the Loake Strands in Burgundy or Mahogany.

Which colour is more flexible?
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Thanks..

I would like to enquire if I should get the Loake Strands in Burgundy or Mahogany.

Which colour is more flexible?

Both are decent. Depends on what you prefer. If this is your 1st pair of shoes, then go for Mahogany. Otherwise if you are looking for something different from your other pairs then Burgundy.
 

confidante

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Both are decent. Depends on what you prefer. If this is your 1st pair of shoes, then go for Mahogany. Otherwise if you are looking for something different from your other pairs then Burgundy.

Hi! It would be my 2nd pair. Want to get 1 more for rotation and expand my collection.

For reference first pair is a black Aldwych.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Burgundy is supposed to be very versatile. And indeed it is.
It complements both grey and navy trousers. But I increasingly shy away from louder colors or reddish colors these days.
Very dark burgundy can work.
But I find interesting shades of brown much more palatable.
 
Last edited:

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Hi! It would be my 2nd pair. Want to get 1 more for rotation and expand my collection.

For reference first pair is a black Aldwych.

I would personally go for brown for my 2nd pair but honestly, either would be great
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
So Antonio hasn't increased his prices yet.
Have you placed your order?
You got the Equites and the suede chukka right?

Yup those 2. Placed liao.

Keep going back and forth on the split toes, but Antonio informed me he can only do 2 pairs in 1 shipping, so suan le, next time then get.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Yup those 2. Placed liao.

Keep going back and forth on the split toes, but Antonio informed me he can only do 2 pairs in 1 shipping, so suan le, next time then get.

Nice man.
The Equites is the ultimate brown captoe I think.
I went with the Optio and Centurion, and another 2 Argentum HW MTOs.....just can't wait.
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Nice man.
The Equites is the ultimate brown captoe I think.
I went with the Optio and Centurion, and another 2 Argentum HW MTOs.....just can't wait.

You are damn hardcore. Lol. Thought I saw something about your gf making noise?

What makeups you went with for the HW ones? Those don't have promo pricing right?
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
You are damn hardcore. Lol. Thought I saw something about your gf making noise?

What makeups you went with for the HW ones? Those don't have promo pricing right?

I'll cross the bridge when I come to it. Lol.

The HW ones are both wholecuts. One is an oxford shoe patterned after the GG Gable, the other is an oxford style wholecut ankle boot.
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Hi! It would be my 2nd pair. Want to get 1 more for rotation and expand my collection.

For reference first pair is a black Aldwych.

if it's your 1st brown pair I second going for the mahogany... but as Tony Stark says... "Is it too much to ask for both?"
 

confidante

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Thanks all for the recommendations! :s12:

Next qn that comes to mind is that.. I have been reading that shoes should be snug and no heel slip on initial wear.

What does "snug" mean?
 
Last edited:

Darknight55

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2002
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Thanks all for the recommendations! :s12:

Next qn that comes to mind is that.. I have been reading that shoes should be snug and no heel slip on initial wear.

What does "snug" mean?

No slipping (too much room for toes to move around), no tightness (toe compression). The minor details on comfort will depend on yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top