Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Went with Antonio. The split toes have to wait since I decided to get brown captoe oxfords as well.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Is there an added benefit to having a true split toe? Or is it ultimately a bit of a shoemaker's showcase of skill?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 3W using GAGT

I had asked a similar question before on one of the threads on SF.
Apparently, the "norwegian split toe" design originally arose because of difficulties encountered with the pattern drafting for an apron derby. Initial designs had given rise to overlapping at the facings and thus, to overcome it, the piece encompassing the toe and facings (this excludes the vamp and tongue piece) was split at the toe, and so 2 separate pieces of leather could be used.
Then the question arose as to how to join these 2 pieces.
The best and strongest method to do this is a round closed stitch (eg, antonio, EG dover).
It's technically difficult and if done well, yes, is a showcase of skill.
Right now (but don't ask me how, I'm not sure), perhaps due to modifications in pattern making, the apron derby can be made with one piece of leather for the toe / facings piece. Thus, without the need for a seam, some makers opt to add the decorative skin stitch purely for aesthetic purposes.
So, to the first part of your question, yes, it was ultimately born out of necessity.
And to the second part, yes again, because if done well, it IS a showcase of skill.
 

terras14

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
The 20% after getting their 1880 model will fall below 150gbp which if added on the shipping will be around 10% only.
I winder if orderjng 2 pairs will attract gst if buying from robinson?
 

arthur5011

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2001
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
The 20% after getting their 1880 model will fall below 150gbp which if added on the shipping will be around 10% only.
I winder if orderjng 2 pairs will attract gst if buying from robinson?

I think is not counted that way. For 1880 model, after discount should be 179+- which entitle for free shipping but because of delivery to SG it will further deduct the VAT which come down to 140+

But if you take 2 1880 in 1 order. I think you will definitely have to pay GST as it will more than 400sgd
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
The 20% after getting their 1880 model will fall below 150gbp which if added on the shipping will be around 10% only.
I winder if orderjng 2 pairs will attract gst if buying from robinson?

If they deliver via royal mail, you'll most likely not be hit, at whatever price.
 

cokiee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
0
I had asked a similar question before on one of the threads on SF.
Apparently, the "norwegian split toe" design originally arose because of difficulties encountered with the pattern drafting for an apron derby. Initial designs had given rise to overlapping at the facings and thus, to overcome it, the piece encompassing the toe and facings (this excludes the vamp and tongue piece) was split at the toe, and so 2 separate pieces of leather could be used.
Then the question arose as to how to join these 2 pieces.
The best and strongest method to do this is a round closed stitch (eg, antonio, EG dover).
It's technically difficult and if done well, yes, is a showcase of skill.
Right now (but don't ask me how, I'm not sure), perhaps due to modifications in pattern making, the apron derby can be made with one piece of leather for the toe / facings piece. Thus, without the need for a seam, some makers opt to add the decorative skin stitch purely for aesthetic purposes.
So, to the first part of your question, yes, it was ultimately born out of necessity.
And to the second part, yes again, because if done well, it IS a showcase of skill.


Ah thanks for the information! Which means really, in today's scenario there's no necessity.

Appreciate it!

Sent from Xiaomi MI 3W using GAGT
 

RayeAng

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
0
If they deliver via royal mail, you'll most likely not be hit, at whatever price.

Order the 2 pairs on 2 separate day if it is above 150pounds. They only consider the original cost of the shoes when giving free shipping. Hence, even after discount it falls below 150 pounds u still get free shipping
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Order the 2 pairs on 2 separate day if it is above 150pounds. They only consider the original cost of the shoes when giving free shipping. Hence, even after discount it falls below 150 pounds u still get free shipping

I'm actually not the one interested in buying. My original post was just a bit of information for another forum member.
 

Shiro MS08th

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
2

RayeAng

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
0
If comparing to Loake capital last, wider/narrow or what others to take note?

And...most importantly how's the quality? Might be interested to get it with the 20% sale. (Or I will just get a Barker cherry colour boots, but I think that's not the handgrade series though)

I felt barker is narrower. For a Loake 10.5uk I will need 11uk for barker.If u convert the size to Eu, barker 10.5uk = 44.5. For Loake 10.5uk = 45.

I did not know barker have handgrade....
 

terras14

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
I'm actually not the one interested in buying. My original post was just a bit of information for another forum member.

Yes TM was being informative for my question. If u know TM, he will not be keen in loake now. 10 yrs ago maybe? Haha. It is meant as a compliment TM and thanks for the info. But dont think we can choose royal or fedex
 

terras14

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
I think is not counted that way. For 1880 model, after discount should be 179+- which entitle for free shipping but because of delivery to SG it will further deduct the VAT which come down to 140+

But if you take 2 1880 in 1 order. I think you will definitely have to pay GST as it will more than 400sgd

Thanks Arthur
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top