Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiro MS08th

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
2

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Yes TM was being informative for my question. If u know TM, he will not be keen in loake now. 10 yrs ago maybe? Haha. It is meant as a compliment TM and thanks for the info. But dont think we can choose royal or fedex

Haha.
Actually, 10 years ago, I knew nothing of shoes.
Couldn't afford a good pair either. Was still trying to get through uni at the time.
 

brightside

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
1
Hello! I went to Metro today @ Centerpoint. They have 20% off bluetag items (seems like majority of shoes are entitled for 20%).

I tried a pair of Loake L1's, black oxford toe caps.

I tried a size 9F, quite fitting, but 10 is too big.

Can anyone advise on the fit?

Pics below -
goQfAQN.jpg

fIzoHoT.jpg

ITZw1DI.jpg


This is going for $299, but with the 20% its going for $239 :) I think i might just take the plunge.

Only thing is, the sole is made of rubber, despite being Goodyear Welted. That's fine right?
 
Last edited:

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Hello! I went to Metro today @ Centerpoint. They have 20% off bluetag items (seems like majority of shoes are entitled for 20%).

I tried a pair of Loake L1's, black oxford toe caps.

I tried a size 9F, quite fitting, but 10 is too big.

Can anyone advise on the fit?

This is going for $299, but with the 20% its going for $239 :) I think i might just take the plunge.

Only thing is, the sole is made of rubber, despite being Goodyear Welted. That's fine right?

You need to lace up both shoes properly to judge the fit better. There seems to be a little gape around the topline but that could be due to the laces being undone.

Goodyear welting refers to the process that joins the insole, uppers and the welt. It has no bearing on the material of the outsole.
So the outsole can be rubber or leather.
 

brightside

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
1
You need to lace up both shoes properly to judge the fit better. There seems to be a little gape around the topline but that could be due to the laces being undone.

Goodyear welting refers to the process that joins the insole, uppers and the welt. It has no bearing on the material of the outsole.
So the outsole can be rubber or leather.

Thanks for responding! If i lace up fully, how should the shoe feel? Is it normal if it is abit stiff and difficult to walk?

Also, should I buy shoe-trees for this pair? Kiwi/Shoe polish/Mink Oil needed?
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Thanks for responding! If i lace up fully, how should the shoe feel? Is it normal if it is abit stiff and difficult to walk?

Also, should I buy shoe-trees for this pair? Kiwi/Shoe polish/Mink Oil needed?

The shoe should feel snug, and there shouldn't be any immediate hot spots especially over your small toe.
The facings should come together with an approximate 1cm gap at the top while feeling only slight pressure but NO pain at the top of your instep.
When you walk, there should be no noticeable heel slip.
Some stiffness on initial wear is fairly normal.
Immediately comfortable shoes out of the box are rarer.
Shoe creams are the most important. Most people (myself included) use Saphir.
 

brightside

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
1
The shoe should feel snug, and there shouldn't be any immediate hot spots especially over your small toe.
The facings should come together with an approximate 1cm gap at the top while feeling only slight pressure but NO pain at the top of your instep.
When you walk, there should be no noticeable heel slip.
Some stiffness on initial wear is fairly normal.
Immediately comfortable shoes out of the box are rarer.
Shoe creams are the most important. Most people (myself included) use Saphir.

Cheers buddy, thanks so much for the advice!

Any opinion on Loake L1's? Understand that they're not 1880s... but for a first pair of working shoes, I figured it'd be a good investment.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Cheers buddy, thanks so much for the advice!

Any opinion on Loake L1's? Understand that they're not 1880s... but for a first pair of working shoes, I figured it'd be a good investment.

Well, I have no first hand experience with Loake L1.
But at that price, as long are the uppers are decent and there are no major defects that you note, I think you're fine.
 

cokiee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
0
Cheers buddy, thanks so much for the advice!

Any opinion on Loake L1's? Understand that they're not 1880s... but for a first pair of working shoes, I figured it'd be a good investment.
Well, I have no first hand experience with Loake L1.
But at that price, as long are the uppers are decent and there are no major defects that you note, I think you're fine.

Those look like corrected grain, and if they are, then don't spend money on expensive polishes methinks. Kiwi is as good as anything here.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 3W using GAGT
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
EU sizing (Vass) runs differently, very differently from UK / US sizing.
The difference between an 8 and 8.5 is different from the difference between a 42 and 42.5.
The differences in between sizes are smaller. And consequently, means you are more likely to find a size that suits you better.
Moreover, in between the U, F, K, S lasts etc .... there is absolutely no sizing consensus for Vass.
I strongly advise trying them on before any attempt at purchase.
 

Daniel.Y

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
731
Reaction score
0
how's their sizing compared to loake capital last?

I take uk 7.5 on the capital last, 41.5 on the vass F last.

More details on the different lasts comparison on the website

http://www.vass-shoes.com/en/howtoorder
 

brightside

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
1
Those look like corrected grain, and if they are, then don't spend money on expensive polishes methinks. Kiwi is as good as anything here.

How do you tell? Althought Im thinking below SGD300 should be corrected grain as well..
 

jonleelk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
97
Cheers buddy, thanks so much for the advice!

Any opinion on Loake L1's? Understand that they're not 1880s... but for a first pair of working shoes, I figured it'd be a good investment.

Why don't u order Loake 1880 from Robinson shoes online this weekend with the 20% discount coupon. Original price 180 UKP (less VAT), thus free shipping. Less 20% 144 UKP. Depending on the exchange rate u are charged, only S$255, and u get calf leather instead of polished corrected grain, plus half size 9.5 which might suits you better.
 
Last edited:

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
How do you tell? Althought Im thinking below SGD300 should be corrected grain as well..

Corrected grain leather has a thick opaque topcoat / paint-like layer that's been used after heavy buffing of the grain surface to cover up obvious imperfections.
This topcoat gives a very artificial, plastic-like sheen / appearance.
On close observation, you will also note that none of the typical surface features of full grain leather (ie, normal hide texture, hair follicle openings, even vein shadows) will be seen. The surface is quite flat and feature-less.
I'm sorry as I am not familiar enough with Loake's offerings to know which lines are CG and which are FG, and based on superficial observations of your photos, I can't be absolutely certain.
I'm sure though, that the 1880 line is FG.
 
Last edited:

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
By the way, guys, if anyone is interested, I'll probably be letting go of quite a bit of my shoes.
If there's anything on my IG, that's Goodyear welted, and you're interested in it, drop me a msg. Apart from some with sentimental value, I'll prob be ok with parting ways with it.
Generally most of my shoes are lightly worn and in pretty good condition.
I'm a uk8.5 in most stuff. 9 in some.
 
Last edited:

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
By the way, guys, if anyone is interested, I'll probably be letting go of quite a bit of my shoes.
If there's anything on my IG, that's Goodyear welted, and you're interested in it, drop me a msg. Apart from some with sentimental value, I'll prob be ok with parting ways with it.
Generally most of my shoes are lightly worn and in pretty good condition.
I'm a uk8.5 in most stuff. 9 in some.

Urgh.... Y?!?! Y don't I have the same shoe size as you?? :s13:
 

kumarshyam42

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
By the way, guys, if anyone is interested, I'll probably be letting go of quite a bit of my shoes.
If there's anything on my IG, that's Goodyear welted, and you're interested in it, drop me a msg. Apart from some with sentimental value, I'll prob be ok with parting ways with it.
Generally most of my shoes are lightly worn and in pretty good condition.
I'm a uk8.5 in most stuff. 9 in some.

Cool! Link?
Am UK8, but as they say, if the shoe fits...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top