Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonleelk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
97
Would you be so kind to check for me when collecting if during recrafting they are able to reduce a shoe by 1/2 size? Thanks.

Eh...don't think that is possible for gyw shoes. U can easily email them to ask.
 

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
82,860
Reaction score
7,413
15 years. Very good maintenance regime i suspect.
I heard the older Florsheims are better.

the old Florsheims were comparable to Allen Edmonds,
too bad they gave up the upper niche market

that pair was used for my graduation, job interviews, wedding dinners, ......
stopped wearing them after 7-8 years when I got a new pair Church's


these days, my everyday wear are Johnston & Murphy, Cole Haan and Frye, all from Amazon
got them for around US$100 each pair, don't bother to resole them when they are worn out, just dump into a storage box.
 

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
82,860
Reaction score
7,413
I'm uncertain what you meant by "shortcut solution" but I believe that Ed Et Al offers recrafting services here locally for their shoes at $150 and $180 for others.


the prices are steep

in San Francisco, cheapest cobbler charges only US$30 for resole and afaik, none above US$100
 

striker22

Master Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
7
Yes, it is very costly here. That is why alot of people prefer to vibram or topy the soles. Shipping back to the shoemaker both ways makes it equally costly, if not more and longer downtimes.

Over the years, I get mine done when I travel and pick them up a week later in various city unless it is specified by a certain shoemaker that they will not resole shoes that have been worked on by others.

The reason I asked about resizing is that to me, that bit of added value would make me consider using their services. AE and Alden for example can reduce width and tighten stretched shoes but they do not reduce size.
 

PetiaC

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
0
I think Carmina's shoe creams are just rebranded Saphir, but I could be wrong.

Carmina (the lady with the same name as the brand) says they source from elsewhere, not same as Saphir/Avenir. But I think quality should be more or less the same, all made in France. Never tried or compare before so not conclusive.
 

PetiaC

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
0
11745955_588794101262391_3077244437116828057_n.jpg


Last pair of shoes for this year. One pair per year, each day put $1 in piggy bank.
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
799
the prices are steep

in San Francisco, cheapest cobbler charges only US$30 for resole and afaik, none above US$100

This however, is a recraft, not a simple Resole job. That means new welt, new threads, packing of new cork and new soles

AE recrafts are usd100. B nelson is $125 for JR soles
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
799
Carmina (the lady with the same name as the brand) says they source from elsewhere, not same as Saphir/Avenir. But I think quality should be more or less the same, all made in France. Never tried or compare before so not conclusive.

I realise Carmina's bordo calf seems more reddish burgundy than saphir's purplish burgundy.

Duno if I shld just stick to the saphir or grab a new set of creams at Capitol Piazza lol.
 

zhaohan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
28,056
Reaction score
546
Since you're residing at Serangoon, I would recommend Kips & Kwik located at Junction 8, Bishan.

IIRC, he charges $28 for a pair of Vibram (not Topy) soles while $22 for heels.

The gent is well-mannered and selfless in sharing shoe care maintenance advices. He's particular busy during weekends so it's advisable to visit him during weekdays instead.

Yea 28, just did recently. Very friendly and nice boss
 

TUV2008

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
77,757
Reaction score
28,176
The quote of $150 for patina of non EEA shoes sounds reasonable for me. Thinking of sending my DW for them to do a patina .

I'm uncertain what you meant by "shortcut solution" but I believe that Ed Et Al offers recrafting services here locally for their shoes at $150 and $180 for others.

 

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
Wtf vibram $60 and wait one week.

For that as I've mentioned previously, I would rather visit Kips & Kwik. Hah.

The quote of $150 for patina of non EEA shoes sounds reasonable for me. Thinking of sending my DW for them to do a patina .

Besides Ed Et Al, you may want to consider John from Mason & Smith too. He mentioned that patina starts at $200 (depending on the complexity).
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
799
For that as I've mentioned previously, I would rather visit Kips & Kwik. Hah.



Besides Ed Et Al, you may want to consider John from Mason & Smith too. He mentioned that patina starts at $200 (depending on the complexity).

Yea agree. Though I tend to send my shoes to solemann since he's nearer to Raffles place. Drop at lunch collect after work. And $1 cheaper LOL

But both do good work
 

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
82,860
Reaction score
7,413
Besides Ed Et Al, you may want to consider John from Mason & Smith too. He mentioned that patina starts at $200 (depending on the complexity).

shouldnt patina be developed naturally over time?
 

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
shouldnt patina be developed naturally over time?

My friend, you actually answered your own question.

Paid patina service will transform the entire outlook (shade/tone) of the shoes as this will be performed by an artist/experienced soul. Results are immediate.

Natural patina owing to a certain aging process is developed over time and a beauty itself too. Results are gradual.
 
Last edited:

yanbros

Master Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
2,846
Reaction score
1
Has anyone been to Bangkok lately and see their leather shoes? Those at terminal 21 and siam bootery looks good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top