Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephkjc

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2001
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
7
I think those are his casual shoes guessing from lace colour etc, the playful lacing is probably deliberate

Thats right, for casual so tend to lace it differently from my dress shoes. The 3rd pair came with red and cream coloured laces. Have yet to change to cream before.
 

lucied

Suspended
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
0
Thats right, for casual so tend to lace it differently from my dress shoes. The 3rd pair came with red and cream coloured laces. Have yet to change to cream before.

Should have bought bluchers instead to show more lace. Using balmorals for casual use spoils the look IMO.
 

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,863
Reaction score
720
Some of them GYW, some of them HW...

I believe the most formal black oxford will be the seam across the captoe. Brogueing or medallion will depend on the environment you works for. The general rule applies. The more decoration there are, the less formal it will be...

Well color choice for chukka depend on your general pairing as well... Color choice is up to individual. Navy is a nice color also ;)

Actually the black oxford is my first pair of GYW and being an inexperienced shoe nerd when first started, I opt to go for more decoration since I am paying for the same price... :s13:

Also depend on how the pairing is for what occasion. Although black pair is meant for boardroom meeting, this is not happening to me as I am not in C level yet hehe

I usually wear my black captoe with medallion for interview which I believe is kinda acceptable. And my working environment don't warrant for a strict dress code for shoe unlike in law industries I believe...

I don't have a single pair of black shoes... That said I don't have black pants or suit as well...
Neither do I attend black tie events, save me some money :o
 

alvinquah

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
673
Reaction score
0
I don't have a single pair of black shoes... That said I don't have black pants or suit as well...
Neither do I attend black tie events, save me some money :o

Good for you bro... I will say 90% of the guys here or any working executive will always start with black shoe as their first pair before getting on to other color... That's just the shoe wearing culture here...

Go to any company or even in CBD area, you will see majority of the people are still wearing black. That being say, black is still a good choice, but there are so many other colors to choose from (billion shade of brown, grey, navy, burgundy, green).....
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
I don't have a single pair of black shoes... That said I don't have black pants or suit as well...
Neither do I attend black tie events, save me some money :o
I agree.. No need for black esp for young execs in Singapore as most dress codes are typically casual.. Black shoes for the office deserve to be categorised with black pants..

Everyone makes the mistake of getting them first when you actually don't really need them.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Black shoes are versatile for most people.

So often I see people wearing tan shoes with trousers, shirts and belts that aren't right as an ensemble.
That's a lot worse. Trying too hard and getting it wrong.
 
Last edited:

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Black shoes are versatile for most people.

So often I see people wearing tan shoes with trousers, shirts and belts that aren't right as an ensemble.
That's a lot worse. Trying too hard and getting it wrong.

I agree. Black belt, black pants, black shoes, no brainer in the morning. No need to waste time deciding. You just need to choose your shirt.

Also black shoes easy to take care, and good range of shoe care products. With brown, I still have to find the same shade of cream.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
I agree. Black belt, black pants, black shoes, no brainer in the morning. No need to waste time deciding. You just need to choose your shirt.

Also black shoes easy to take care, and good range of shoe care products. With brown, I still have to find the same shade of cream.
Now that's a combination I haven't worn since my days of waiting tables.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,863
Reaction score
720
Black shoes are versatile for most people.

So often I see people wearing tan shoes with trousers, shirts and belts that aren't right as an ensemble.
That's a lot worse. Trying too hard and getting it wrong.

That could be me, I could never get the exact shade of tan to match my shoes and belt
Eh....watch strap and leather bag need to match also?
Darn it, so many rules...
 

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,863
Reaction score
720
I agree. Black belt, black pants, black shoes, no brainer in the morning. No need to waste time deciding. You just need to choose your shirt.

Also black shoes easy to take care, and good range of shoe care products. With brown, I still have to find the same shade of cream.

Umm... Where's the fun?
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
That could be me, I could never get the exact shade of tan to match my shoes and belt
Eh....watch strap and leather bag need to match also?
Darn it, so many rules...

I don't match everything. I am referring to those who pair charcoal pants with tan colour shoes.
 

basic___

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
6,866
Reaction score
657
Got my first pair of GYW shoes for LLYR!
A Colin style burgundy shoes.. Any tips to preserve the shoe like brushing, polishing or waterproofing it?
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Got my first pair of GYW shoes for LLYR!
A Colin style burgundy shoes.. Any tips to preserve the shoe like brushing, polishing or waterproofing it?

Same page has the same topic you asked in thread. And llyr would usually creame and polish your shoes after you buy it. Didn't they provide any tips?

Get a burgundy shoe cream and shoe wax from saphir if you want. If you totally have no clue, Google or just got back llyr with your pair and they'll maintain it for you. Complimentary.
 

Hir0shi

Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
4
Same page has the same topic you asked in thread. And llyr would usually creame and polish your shoes after you buy it. Didn't they provide any tips?

Get a burgundy shoe cream and shoe wax from saphir if you want. If you totally have no clue, Google or just got back llyr with your pair and they'll maintain it for you. Complimentary.

I also just gotten a pair from LLYR, no polish no anything after I made my purchase. Throughout entire time I was there the sales assistants were only just chatting among each other. I guess business too good for them to care?
 

basic___

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
6,866
Reaction score
657
Same page has the same topic you asked in thread. And llyr would usually creame and polish your shoes after you buy it. Didn't they provide any tips?

Get a burgundy shoe cream and shoe wax from saphir if you want. If you totally have no clue, Google or just got back llyr with your pair and they'll maintain it for you. Complimentary.

Yeah they did provide me with some tips about creaming' and polishing my shoes. They didn't help to creame and polish my shoes after I bought it though..didn't know I can do that. The service is still good though
I only bought Saphir Cream (color of my shoes) but I would still need a shoe wax right? In burgundy color.. In regards to water proofing my shoes, I would need a Saphir shoe conditioner? Pardon for the questions...its my first entry to GYW
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Yeah they did provide me with some tips about creaming' and polishing my shoes. They didn't help to creame and polish my shoes after I bought it though..didn't know I can do that. The service is still good though
I only bought Saphir Cream (color of my shoes) but I would still need a shoe wax right? In burgundy color.. In regards to water proofing my shoes, I would need a Saphir shoe conditioner? Pardon for the questions...its my first entry to GYW
Wax is not necessary. It doesn't condition leather just shines while drying out leather. It also imparts some water resistance to the leather.

Horsehair brush, cream and shoe tree should be sufficient.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Yup. Cream is enough. Will bring out some shine as well after buffing it with horsehair brush.
I only like to wax my shoes to make it slightly splash proof when I travel for work.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
I also just gotten a pair from LLYR, no polish no anything after I made my purchase. Throughout entire time I was there the sales assistants were only just chatting among each other. I guess business too good for them to care?

Hmm.. Sorry to hear about your experience with them mate. I had pretty good customer service from em. Only the girl in cap was more bored to be in store from what I noticed. Otherwise. Nas and Angel were pretty attentive.
 

alvinquah

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
673
Reaction score
0
Yeah they did provide me with some tips about creaming' and polishing my shoes. They didn't help to creame and polish my shoes after I bought it though..didn't know I can do that. The service is still good though
I only bought Saphir Cream (color of my shoes) but I would still need a shoe wax right? In burgundy color.. In regards to water proofing my shoes, I would need a Saphir shoe conditioner? Pardon for the questions...its my first entry to GYW

I've written a guide previously and hope this helps. Congrats on your first gyw!

http://aqatelier.tumblr.com/post/120516369193/part-1-taking-care-of-your-shoe-calf-leather
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top