Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

basic___

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
6,866
Reaction score
657

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Wearing my LLYR dress loafers today.

GOD they are stiff.

Otherwise. Nas and Angel were pretty attentive.
I can vouch that Nas is a friendly guy.

Thanks for the article.very informative indeed. Due to the Singapore weather with the rain and such, is there a need to waterproof your leather with spray? Or just moisturizing and polishing your shoe with cream will be enough?
I think there are 2 schools of thought: either weather-proof your leather and suede shoes, or just wear them in spite of our climate and let the character build up.

I belong to the latter, but I also think a smarter way to approach this is to keep 1 or 2 older, worn-out shoes for rainier days.
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
That could be me, I could never get the exact shade of tan to match my shoes and belt
Eh....watch strap and leather bag need to match also?
Darn it, so many rules...

That's why there are side adjuster pants, bracelet watches n canvas bags! Lol
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
Wearing my LLYR dress loafers today.

GOD they are stiff.

I can vouch that Nas is a friendly guy.


I think there are 2 schools of thought: either weather-proof your leather and suede shoes, or just wear them in spite of our climate and let the character build up.

I belong to the latter, but I also think a smarter way to approach this is to keep 1 or 2 older, worn-out shoes for rainier days.

Fine line between scruffy n character dress shoes lol. Cant use sneaker standards here.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Wearing my LLYR dress loafers today.

GOD they are stiff.

I can vouch that Nas is a friendly guy.


I think there are 2 schools of thought: either weather-proof your leather and suede shoes, or just wear them in spite of our climate and let the character build up.

I belong to the latter, but I also think a smarter way to approach this is to keep 1 or 2 older, worn-out shoes for rainier days.
Thanks for the article.very informative indeed. Due to the Singapore weather with the rain and such, is there a need to waterproof your leather with spray? Or just moisturizing and polishing your shoe with cream will be enough?
Suede needs a waterproofing spray. Grain leather can do with simply wax.

Important thing is to keep a good maintenance regime so that your shoes look well worn in and not simply worn out.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
789
Thanks for the article.very informative indeed. Due to the Singapore weather with the rain and such, is there a need to waterproof your leather with spray? Or just moisturizing and polishing your shoe with cream will be enough?

Dude where were you during NS lol? Our combat boots (esp the old full leather boots) were also grain leather. Chiong through sea, river, rain, mud, oil still ok.

If anything its hard objects that scratch and tear the leather that impairs the lifespan.

so same same, wax (kiwi etc) is sufficient. Condition once in awhile after about 3 weeks of wear

but for suede, its better to apply a hydrophobic coat as its not a grain surface that is facing the environment.
 
Last edited:

alvinquah

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
673
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the article.very informative indeed. Due to the Singapore weather with the rain and such, is there a need to waterproof your leather with spray? Or just moisturizing and polishing your shoe with cream will be enough?

Waterproofing is not necessary for calf leather. If you use saphir rejuventor (contains beeswax and mink oil with waterproofing property) and cream polish (pigment and nutrient), it should be sufficient.
Of course having said that, regular polishing will help to keep the leather more lasting vs unattended care at all....

Suede is recommend to be used with waterproofing spray. For my own experience, spray them once a month should be sufficient. You doesn't need to spray them everytime you go out. And suede is less durable than leather is a myth. See the article by theshoesnob. http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2010/04/suede-shoes-big-misconception.html

For me I will just wear them as if leather leather shoe and ensure that there is a proper suede cleaning session if I really get caught in the rain.
 

Hon Kee

Junior Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hello, any recommendations where I could get repairs for foam mid sole? I believe the term used here is total resole, as it has fully disintegrated/collapsed/dried out. Edetal at $180 is kinda out of my budget though, not sure if they do it in the first place.

I've searched both this thread and the sneakers thread to no avail, but I believe posting here might get some answers. Thanks in advance!
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
How does everyone wear their penny/tassel loafers?

Sockless?

Loafers from Pedro and Cole Haan etc I wear them sockless.

GYW loafers I wear with those socks that don't show up.

Don't ask me why... just feels right that way... :s13:
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
789
Hello, any recommendations where I could get repairs for foam mid sole? I believe the term used here is total resole, as it has fully disintegrated/collapsed/dried out. Edetal at $180 is kinda out of my budget though, not sure if they do it in the first place.

I've searched both this thread and the sneakers thread to no avail, but I believe posting here might get some answers. Thanks in advance!

What kind of shoes are you repairing first? EEA service is mainly focused towards GYW repairs, not much foam involved.

Likely bet locally is Shukey, they do the repair for Red Wing crepe soles. Cut, sand and cement on. Typical of most sneaker construction.

But then again, most sneakers have a built in lifespan by virtue of their synthetic make up, so have to be realistic with how long a pair will last

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
How does everyone wear their penny/tassel loafers?

Sockless?

I wear dress loafers (GYW penny) pretty often for work and it will be with regular socks by virtue of having to adhere to basic work place dress code.

I seldom wear dress loafers outside of work to begin with, but I have experimented with the sockless/sprezzatura look with dress loafers a few times, including with a suit.

For casual loafers (e.g. driving mocs, boat shoes), I think it is unconventional to wear with (exposed) socks!
 

Hon Kee

Junior Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
What kind of shoes are you repairing first? EEA service is mainly focused towards GYW repairs, not much foam involved.

Likely bet locally is Shukey, they do the repair for Red Wing crepe soles. Cut, sand and cement on. Typical of most sneaker construction.

But then again, most sneakers have a built in lifespan by virtue of their synthetic make up, so have to be realistic with how long a pair will last

Thanks for the read! I'll bring my sneakers over to Shukey to see whether what's worth and their quotation.

How about the guys over at Raffles Place and Paragon like the others mentioned? Should I give it a try? Or call before heading down?
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Thanks for the read! I'll bring my sneakers over to Shukey to see whether what's worth and their quotation.

How about the guys over at Raffles Place and Paragon like the others mentioned? Should I give it a try? Or call before heading down?

I think it may be cheaper to just buy new sneakers. People resole because the leather upper is expensive and develops a patina over time. The leather can last longer than the soles. Sneakers use cemented construction, after you fix the midsole and outsole, dunno if the insole and fabric can last.

Cemented outsole easy to replace, not sure about mid sole.
 

EmmanuelWoon

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Fuddy duddy frowns upon "casual" oxfords


Basic shoe care renovatuer once every 3 months and cream once a week. Buy a horseshoe brush.

This is just for upkeep of the leather and not to get spit shine

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

Was at tangs and looking for shoe cream. I can't read a single word on the bottle . It says "Nappa" on the cap. Did I got the correct item
?

Btw, I'm looking for neutral color. So I can use them all on my different color shoes. I hope I'm right ?
 

basic___

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
6,866
Reaction score
657
Waterproofing is not necessary for calf leather. If you use saphir rejuventor (contains beeswax and mink oil with waterproofing property) and cream polish (pigment and nutrient), it should be sufficient.
Of course having said that, regular polishing will help to keep the leather more lasting vs unattended care at all....

Suede is recommend to be used with waterproofing spray. For my own experience, spray them once a month should be sufficient. You doesn't need to spray them everytime you go out. And suede is less durable than leather is a myth. See the article by theshoesnob. http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2010/04/suede-shoes-big-misconception.html

For me I will just wear them as if leather leather shoe and ensure that there is a proper suede cleaning session if I really get caught in the rain.
Thanks a lot! Looks like I have to pick up a Saphir Renju soon

I think I might have bought the wrong color cream for my burgundy shoes. I got dark brown and should've gone for a lighter shade or neutral (they ran out of burgundy color cream at LLYR). :s22::s22:
 
Last edited:

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
789
Was at tangs and looking for shoe cream. I can't read a single word on the bottle . It says "Nappa" on the cap. Did I got the correct item
?

Btw, I'm looking for neutral color. So I can use them all on my different color shoes. I hope I'm right ?

Nappa is a type of super soft leather. Daresay finer than calf and used more for gloves

Why dont u write the full name of the product you got. But shld be fine

Yea neutral Conditioner is fine. For cream though most people prefer the coloured variety to restore colour
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top