Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Hello guys. Young exec here too. Looking for an entry pair, no stranger to gyw shoes. Missed out on the et ed al sales couple weeks(?) back, would Allen Edmonds, meermin or even et ed al be a good entry pair? I'll be wearing on rotation since I'm not required to be on office wear daily.

Yes they are all fine for entry level. I find Loake 1880 range pretty good value for money as well.
 

basic___

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
6,866
Reaction score
657
Hello guys. Young exec here too. Looking for an entry pair, no stranger to gyw shoes. Missed out on the et ed al sales couple weeks(?) back, would Allen Edmonds, meermin or even et ed al be a good entry pair? I'll be wearing on rotation since I'm not required to be on office wear daily.
LLYR is still having their 30% sales I think
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Hello guys. Young exec here too. Looking for an entry pair, no stranger to gyw shoes. Missed out on the et ed al sales couple weeks(?) back, would Allen Edmonds, meermin or even et ed al be a good entry pair? I'll be wearing on rotation since I'm not required to be on office wear daily.

Not sure how much is your budget but can consider Carlos Santos from Skoak (just look at the derbies posted by pwillie a couple pages back!), or Yanko at Lusso if you prefer to be able to see the shoes in the flesh first
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
For me personally it's due to the grip. I walk a lot and because Singapore's weather is quite unpredictable I don't want to slip and fall lah :)

This.

Honestly I've had a lot of near falls with my leather soles. And they are honestly not fun to experience. Lots of places in SG have incredible slippery floors when it's wet. There comes to a point where appreciation of artistry has to give way for function - and this is one of them.
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Leather soles are certainly not any more slippery than any other material. Certainly.

I think that it depends on the varnish finish and how worn the sole is before contact with slippery wet surface. My old bata ambassador was slippery to the max
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
This.

Honestly I've had a lot of near falls with my leather soles. And they are honestly not fun to experience. Lots of places in SG have incredible slippery floors when it's wet. There comes to a point where appreciation of artistry has to give way for function - and this is one of them.

This will always be a controversial topic, especially on this thread!

I would say that leather soles are definitely slippery when brand new but they roughen up pretty quickly with use, and after a few wears will not generally be more slippery than say, rubber soles.

However, IMHO, I think one is likely to get more mileage out of a pair of rubber soles than leather soles, all else equal, and for that reason I choose to affix topy/vibram on my shoes.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
I think that it depends on the varnish finish and how worn the sole is before contact with slippery wet surface. My old bata ambassador was slippery to the max

Any "varnish finish" applied on soles becomes a non factor within the first 20 seconds of walking on first wear. It doesn't take much friction to scuff a leather sole. That's why try-ons should always be done on carpets.
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Any "varnish finish" applied on soles becomes a non factor within the first 20 seconds of walking on first wear. It doesn't take much friction to scuff a leather sole. That's why try-ons should always be done on carpets.

For me I feel that the slippery part is more of the heels than the front, though granted that the metal taps and occasional nails at the tip do contribute to some slippage.

The nails on the heel is what makes the heel slippery for me. Perhaps its the way I walk. The rubber part is perfectly fine but when the leather portion with nails in it hit the ground, there's a higher possibility of slipping, particularly when walking down a slope.

Leather quality also makes a slight difference. If you compare say JR soles versus soles from Meermin, there's an obvious difference in the grip of the shoe.
 

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
10,132
Reaction score
239
Hello guys. Young exec here too. Looking for an entry pair, no stranger to gyw shoes. Missed out on the et ed al sales couple weeks(?) back, would Allen Edmonds, meermin or even et ed al be a good entry pair? I'll be wearing on rotation since I'm not required to be on office wear daily.

Yr most important question shd be, what's my size?
Fit is the most important
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
I found my really old pair of shoes in the storeroom, recall paying almost $300 for them a few years back at Tangs. The brand has faded off so I don't know what brand it is, but all it says on the sole is "Vero Cuoio" and "Made in Italy". Not sure if it's GYW, and whether it's worth resoling. Any advice, based on pics below?

cUeC8K0.jpg


zTCEHas.jpg


cQaYaYr.jpg
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
I found my really old pair of shoes in the storeroom, recall paying almost $300 for them a few years back at Tangs. The brand has faded off so I don't know what brand it is, but all it says on the sole is "Vero Cuoio" and "Made in Italy". Not sure if it's GYW, and whether it's worth resoling. Any advice, based on pics below?

Looks like blake stitched to me. The upper looks ok and frankly I think the sole still looks pretty ok to wear. I don't think you need to resole it.

Unless your lining has given way, otherwise a quick conditioning and polish will make it look great.
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Looks like blake stitched to me. The upper looks ok and frankly I think the sole still looks pretty ok to wear. I don't think you need to resole it.

Unless your lining has given way, otherwise a quick conditioning and polish will make it look great.
Erm actually under the anti-slip adhesive the sole is kind of crumbly already lol. So most prob need to resole which I think costs $180. Not sure if worth it.
 
Last edited:

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Perhaps I should have further qualified -

Agree that soles of other materials would be slippery as well, and the quality/varnish of the leather sole makes a big difference. And I believe the way one walks also makes a difference. Main thing is, if it's too slippery for you, then get a topy done. If you need it, you need it. Don't see a point in insisting on it raw when you need protection. :D Not pretty falling down on your butt with a beautiful shoe.

Personal experience was my EEA which took very long to become anti-slip. I was even slipping on my office carpet! But the Loakes were fine out of the box.
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Reading about the construction on A.Meccariello's website got me thinking, what's everyone's thoughts on gemming in GYW shoes?

Perhaps some anecdotal experience from people who have shoes that are some years old?
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Erm actually under the anti-slip adhesive the sole is kind of crumbly already lol. So most prob need to resole which I think costs $180. Not sure if worth it.

Was the anti slip something that came with the shoes originally or was that slapped on to it?

Better to bring to a cobbler who would be able to better advise you on what is needed to be done. If you need to completely resole, I don't think it's worth it, unless the shoe has sentimental value to you.
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Reading about the construction on A.Meccariello's website got me thinking, what's everyone's thoughts on gemming in GYW shoes?

Perhaps some anecdotal experience from people who have shoes that are some years old?

I haven't had GYW shoes for long enough to know if gemming makes that much of a difference.
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Was the anti slip something that came with the shoes originally or was that slapped on to it?

Better to bring to a cobbler who would be able to better advise you on what is needed to be done. If you need to completely resole, I don't think it's worth it, unless the shoe has sentimental value to you.
Oh I got Tangs to put it on for me the moment I bought it. No sentiment actually lol but I think I'll bring it to Kip and Kwik this weekend maybe, just to see if it really needs to be resoled. Thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top