Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

liuhao

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
0
I think it should be a matter of breaking in the shoes. Because GYW shoes don't have a cushiony sole like sports shoes. I've had to use Hush Puppies recently which are incredibly light and cushiony but compared to my GYW shoes I felt like I wasn't getting good support.

Pull the trigger and take a risk! =D

Ah, we have different problems then. I used to have pretty bad blisters on my left instep area while breaking them in.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT

just pulled my trigger for a pair of black loake downing. chose the simplest design since this is my first order. i used my true size. ordered from pediwear. just below S$400 so i think gst is exempted.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
just pulled my trigger for a pair of black loake downing. chose the simplest design since this is my first order. i used my true size. ordered from pediwear. just below S$400 so i think gst is exempted.
Free shipping? Congrats!

I haven't encountered GST when buying shoes from UK at comparable prices either, although standard shipping is a damn pain.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
 

liuhao

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
0
Free shipping? Congrats!

I haven't encountered GST when buying shoes from UK at comparable prices either, although standard shipping is a damn pain.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT

yes free shipping if choose not to have the free shoes tree. standard shipping will take couple of weeks. but i am no hurry. hehe

if choose faster DHL (eg, from herringshoes), the total cost after shipping fee added will definite exceed S$400, since the shipping fee is 20 pounds. but it also depends on how the shop make declaration. i am not sure about their practice yet...
 

Shiro MS08th

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
2
Just a curious question, does Robinsons Shoes have monthly 20% discount, or only just happen for the month of Sep and Oct? I remember seeing the 20% for a few days at the start of Oct.

If it's regular monthly 20% off for a few days, I might wanna wait till Nov to get the shoes.

Thanks! :D
 

jonleelk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
97
Just a curious question, does Robinsons Shoes have monthly 20% discount, or only just happen for the month of Sep and Oct? I remember seeing the 20% for a few days at the start of Oct.

If it's regular monthly 20% off for a few days, I might wanna wait till Nov to get the shoes.

Thanks! :D

It's quite common , but not every month. If u are not super urgent to get the shoes, I suggest you wait for the next discount.
 

Shiro MS08th

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
2
It's quite common , but not every month. If u are not super urgent to get the shoes, I suggest you wait for the next discount.

Thanks for info, most likely going to wait for next sale then!
Meanwhile just take my time to go test the sizing haha!
 

gairyu

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2010
Messages
344
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I just got myself a pair of meermin. The length and width are both a snug fit.
just that my instep is little high so when I wear the shoe it's tight at the laces and I can only wear the shoes with shoe horn, can't slide my feet in.

Will shoe break in solve this problem?

Another question is that other than saphir any other cheaper shoe care alternative brands?
 

nethdale

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
1,589
Reaction score
109
Hi all, I just got myself a pair of meermin. The length and width are both a snug fit.
just that my instep is little high so when I wear the shoe it's tight at the laces and I can only wear the shoes with shoe horn, can't slide my feet in.

Will shoe break in solve this problem?

Another question is that other than saphir any other cheaper shoe care alternative brands?

Hi,

Congrats on getting a snug fit Meermin. Is it convenient for you to share what is usual size and Meermin's size and which last did you get? Thank you very much.
 

stormcontrol

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2005
Messages
369
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I just got myself a pair of meermin. The length and width are both a snug fit.
just that my instep is little high so when I wear the shoe it's tight at the laces and I can only wear the shoes with shoe horn, can't slide my feet in.

Will shoe break in solve this problem?

Another question is that other than saphir any other cheaper shoe care alternative brands?

Except for the instep, it sounds like you've got youself a pretty good fit overall. If it's an oxford, maybe don't be too particular about closing the vamp?

As for cheaper alternative. Have you forgotten kiwi? ;p
 

gairyu

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2010
Messages
344
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Congrats on getting a snug fit Meermin. Is it convenient for you to share what is usual size and Meermin's size and which last did you get? Thank you very much.

my size is about EU 41 US and UK size unknown haha.

I got myself meermin with balmoral cap toe UK 7 Hiro last.
length and width just nice, just that i feel tightness on the tongue of the shoe.
I read on SF that after breaking in the shoe, the tightness will be better?

As for shoe care products, I have aldo leather conditioner and like 8 cans of kiwi (thanks to saf). Would those products suffice? Or saphir is a better option? Because I read online that shoe creams would nourish + polish compared to kiwi with just polishing effect.

Thanks in advance for clarifications!
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Hi all, I just got myself a pair of meermin. The length and width are both a snug fit.
just that my instep is little high so when I wear the shoe it's tight at the laces and I can only wear the shoes with shoe horn, can't slide my feet in.

Will shoe break in solve this problem?

Another question is that other than saphir any other cheaper shoe care alternative brands?
Wear it for abt 16 wears or so and if breaking in doesn't solve the problem send it for stretching at a cobbler.

Don't buy Aldo products! They're probably repackaged and marked up. I personally use TRG ones. You can find them at Shukey at Far Eas Plaza IIRC.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
 

josephkjc

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2001
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
7
Hi all, I just got myself a pair of meermin. The length and width are both a snug fit.
just that my instep is little high so when I wear the shoe it's tight at the laces and I can only wear the shoes with shoe horn, can't slide my feet in.

Will shoe break in solve this problem?

Another question is that other than saphir any other cheaper shoe care alternative brands?

Carmina at Capitol building sells crème and wax for $15 each. But they don't have an extensive color range
 

bruccancer

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2013
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
While my carmina full brouge is on the way , can anyone advice where is the cheapest source of Saphir products and what I should purchase for my shoe ?
 

xtreamzz

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
3,315
Reaction score
0
Cheapest saphir will be tangs (with member card) or else you can purchase them from llyr in suntec too.

BTW saphir has another line (BDC) of cheaper creams. Saw a Burgundy cream in sale for 15 compared to 25 from MDO.

Another option would be to order Meltonian from Amazon or get someone to bring some back for you.. They have an extensive color range as well

Sent from the Iron Sanctuary using GAGT
 

xtreamzz

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
3,315
Reaction score
0
5B0M9cMl.jpg

Photo contribution to this thead:
Meermin oxfords
Xin-en pants

Sent from the Iron Sanctuary using GAGT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top