Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
I don't feel there is any difference in breaking in a new pair with and without topy. It both hurts like hell as far as I can tell and the advantage of topy 1st is that there is less chance of awkward slips.

The only soles that I have confidence in giving less awkward slips are JR soles.
 

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
If everyone adopted that mentality there wouldn't be this thread!

You don't find a difference when breaking a new shoe in with and without sole protectors?

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
Haha, true true.

But honestly, my undiscerning feet feel absolutely no difference whether I broke in the shoe with or without sole protectors. The breakin process is the same.

The only difference I see is I have to walk a lot more carefully when breaking in shoes without sole protectors.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
We have to be careful on wet tiles. That seems to be the worst surface (IMO).
And Dainite is no protection on that kind of surface (especially marble or polished granite) when wet.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
TBH I actually prefer walking on unrubbered soles despite the occasional slips.

That being said I'm too cheap and lazy to want to send my shoes through the hassle of a resole and thus rubber everything religiously.

Tbh I faintly remember reading off a shoemakers website that rubber soles won't allow the cork bedding to mould to the feet as well as unrubbered ones. Although I'm not sure if it's just hyoerbole because shoemakers seem to be zealously anti rubbers as a whole.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
 

BallGag

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
6
TBH I actually prefer walking on unrubbered soles despite the occasional slips.

That being said I'm too cheap and lazy to want to send my shoes through the hassle of a resole and thus rubber everything religiously.

Tbh I faintly remember reading off a shoemakers website that rubber soles won't allow the cork bedding to mould to the feet as well as unrubbered ones. Although I'm not sure if it's just hyoerbole because shoemakers seem to be zealously anti rubbers as a whole.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT

There would be a lot more shoemakers today if they are really "anti-rubber"
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Think I might have read something from him before.. but ages back.. something to do with the gemming and stuff.

He continues to make hand-welt shoes I believe? In between his SF grumblings :s13:

I see him as an educator, but first and foremost, a top notch shoemaker. He is passionate about his craft and wants to pass it on. He isn't an angry, grumbling old man, by any means.
If people bothered to read his posts, that is.
I've spent the past few months reading what he's written in numerous threads and his knowledge is immense and vast. He talks about WAY MORE than just the problems with GYW and gemming. He is merely EDUCATING, not grumbling. Sure, he's got into arguments, but never unprovoked.
He is also a heck of a shoemaker, he is probably one of the last surviving people who are capable of closing his uppers by hand. And as reference, ALL the Japanese bespoke makers close their uppers with a SEWING MACHINE. I respect him, tremendously.
He is probably one of the last surviving makers who really give a s**t about what he does. He definitely makes better shoes than every English maker there is. For that matter, probably almost ANY maker.
Like LHB has mentioned, he is semi-retired. He isn't obliged to spend all his time on the internet sharing his knowledge, but he does, because once again, he gives a s**t.
 

jack112

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
1,589
Reaction score
0
Any recommandations for a good entry level pair of shoes for a guy starting his first job?

I read through the thread and it seems like Bata Ambassadors are good value for the money.
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
I see him as an educator, but first and foremost, a top notch shoemaker. He is passionate about his craft and wants to pass it on. He isn't an angry, grumbling old man, by any means.
If people bothered to read his posts, that is.
I've spent the past few months reading what he's written in numerous threads and his knowledge is immense and vast. He talks about WAY MORE than just the problems with GYW and gemming. He is merely EDUCATING, not grumbling. Sure, he's got into arguments, but never unprovoked.
He is also a heck of a shoemaker, he is probably one of the last surviving people who are capable of closing his uppers by hand. And as reference, ALL the Japanese bespoke makers close their uppers with a SEWING MACHINE. I respect him, tremendously.
He is probably one of the last surviving makers who really give a s**t about what he does. He definitely makes better shoes than every English maker there is. For that matter, probably almost ANY maker.
Like LHB has mentioned, he is semi-retired. He isn't obliged to spend all his time on the internet sharing his knowledge, but he does, because once again, he gives a s**t.

Thanks for the info dude! I wonder if he has any successor..:s8:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top