NOZXMjg.jpg

gQ4D7wF.jpg

wfgEduP.jpg

6jwnG7D.jpg

sflOZPg.jpg

drH1zCH.jpg

JamesTBD

Reaction score
Hi all the bro here, I need help with leather sole. Do you all add rubber to your leather sole or just leave it? I afraid leave it as leather sole will be very slippy.

acefighter

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all the bro here, I need help with leather sole. Do you all add rubber to your leather sole or just leave it? I afraid leave it as leather sole will be very slippy.

I did a rubber sole add on. Its not as grippy as you think. However while the rest of my shoes gets bashed by the ground, the rubber soles barely suffered a scratch. See what you like. I feel the rubber soles kinda protects the leather because you inevitably have to step on some nasty **** in public washrooms.

acefighter

Master Member
Reaction score
Any bros here able to recommend a place that carries extra wide shoe sizes. Im a 8EE but have been settling with 10D and my shoes feels and looks horrid. Looking to change this once and forever!

wrinklednails

Reaction score

It ultimately boils down to personal preference. If you're unsure I'd say you can try to wear them without the rubber soles first. That being said, there are a number of strong factors to add a front rubber half sole in the context of being in SG:

- Protect the leather against the elements ie wet weather or "some nasty **** in public washrooms" that @acefighter mentioned. It really is quite difficult to air dry out a soaked leather sole.

- Extending the life of the sole. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to find re-welting services in SG and resoling services do come at quite a steep price. When the soles wear out, it is even more costly to send it back to the maker/manufacturer to have it reworked on. It makes a lot of sense to minimize the wear by using a simple and replaceable thin rubber sole (which costs about $20 per pair if done with me). Adding this front half rubber also guards against premature excessive wear at the toe (which affects diff persons to varying degrees depending on gait)

- Whether the rubber sole or original leather sole is more grippy on surfaces is up for debate and subjective. I would say the rubber sole has more grip on smooth surfaces like marble and polished tiles but may not offer significant increase in grip on wet surfaces.

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the sizing of Corgi's dress socks? Their Small is for UK 6-7, and Medium is for UK 7.5-9.

I wear UK 6.5/7 for my dress shoes, and UK 7.5/8 for sneakers. A little concerned if Small might turn out too small...

wiz

Reaction score
I am on small for Corgi fits well. Dress shoes on UK6/6.5/7

Anyone familiar with the sizing of Corgi's dress socks? Their Small is for UK 6-7, and Medium is for UK 7.5-9.

I wear UK 6.5/7 for my dress shoes, and UK 7.5/8 for sneakers. A little concerned if Small might turn out too small...

spencert

Reaction score
Ah cool, how are the lazymans going? Not really my style but they look very nicely finished.

And, yes, more photos on this thread! Here’s a relatively recent acquisition: navy wholecuts with decorative brogueing, a GMTO from Meccariello. Quite distinctive in the light!

WKJoMPu.jpg

By the way, the leather looks to be very soft. So much so that there seems quite a number of creases. What's your take?

nedenow

Reaction score
looking for opinions, would you go for a leather sole and topy after, or to go with a rubber sole eg dainite to begin with?

wiz

Reaction score
Really depends on the style of the shoe. Danite looks better on less formal shoes

looking for opinions, would you go for a leather sole and topy after, or to go with a rubber sole eg dainite to begin with?

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Danite isn't comfortable, sleek or grippy.

Sent from this is a forum bruh, unstick your panties before replying using GAGT

nedenow

Reaction score
Topy is more easily and cheaply replaceable. Danite soles changes the feel of the shoe.

thanks. this is one i’m thinking. maybe topy is the best thing to do.

the part about the feel of the shoe, the closest thing i had was a carmina tomir sole. is tomir or danita similar?

thundermarch

Reaction score
thanks. this is one i’m thinking. maybe topy is the best thing to do.

the part about the feel of the shoe, the closest thing i had was a carmina tomir sole. is tomir or danita similar?

Well, I think that most importantly, you need to consider what are your needs for the shoes you're looking at.

Are you looking for a pair of shoes / boots strictly for wet / monsoon weather, or are you looking at something just for predominantly-dry-but-can-survive-not-too-heavy-a-downpour type of shoe?

A Dainite sole has an entirely rubberised bottom surface and also is typically accompanied by a rubber heel toplift. This is completely impervious to water.

A rubber topy, on the other hand, covers only the forepart of the outsole, but the waist is exposed leather. It would generally be pretty sufficient for rainy days that aren't huge downpours. But water can soak through if you're caught in a thunderstorm.

In terms of the feel and appearance, while a dainite sole is definitely thicker in terms of profile compared to a topy, you can opt for a single dainite sole (where there isn't a full thickness leather midsole between the welt and rubber outsole) as opposed to a double dainite sole. This helps to reduce the bulkiness in the look of the shoe, and also reduce the overall stiffness of a double dainite sole. Generally though, I've had pretty comfortable days even on double dainite soles.

With regards to your question, the Tomir sole is closer in terms of look and functionality, to the topy. As compared to dainite.

In terms of "grip", I find both the Tomir and Dainite more or less equivalent.

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
I am on small for Corgi fits well. Dress shoes on UK6/6.5/7
On a socks spree. Anyone with comments on the sizing for Viccel? They have UK5.5-6.5, then UK7-7.5. Which would be a better fit? Thanks again.

wrinklednails

Reaction score
Well, I think that most importantly, you need to consider what are your needs for the shoes you're looking at.

Are you looking for a pair of shoes / boots strictly for wet / monsoon weather, or are you looking at something just for predominantly-dry-but-can-survive-not-too-heavy-a-downpour type of shoe?

A Dainite sole has an entirely rubberised bottom surface and also is typically accompanied by a rubber heel toplift. This is completely impervious to water.

A rubber topy, on the other hand, covers only the forepart of the outsole, but the waist is exposed leather. It would generally be pretty sufficient for rainy days that aren't huge downpours. But water can soak through if you're caught in a thunderstorm.

In terms of the feel and appearance, while a dainite sole is definitely thicker in terms of profile compared to a topy, you can opt for a single dainite sole (where there isn't a full thickness leather midsole between the welt and rubber outsole) as opposed to a double dainite sole. This helps to reduce the bulkiness in the look of the shoe, and also reduce the overall stiffness of a double dainite sole. Generally though, I've had pretty comfortable days even on double dainite soles.

With regards to your question, the Tomir sole is closer in terms of look and functionality, to the topy. As compared to dainite.

In terms of "grip", I find both the Tomir and Dainite more or less equivalent.

Thanks @Thundermarch for always providing such informative and balanced responses.

Would just like to add on some small points about the Tomir soles. The Tomir soles are significantly thicker than a front half rubber sole (a.k.a Topy which usually ranges from 1.8-2.2mm). Also the Tomir soles are edge stitched to the welt whereas a front half rubber is stuck onto the original leather sole using a strong adhesive. To replace a worn Tomir sole is to resole the shoe whereas replacing a front half rubber is a much simpler affair.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.