Xiaomi Android TV Box discussion II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
sent you a pm.. should be useful for you.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Thanks for the tip, Charlie, appreciate it. Anyway, a few questions for you experts.

1) I’m currently use my 5Ghz WiFi and I use my Mi Box for streaming sports at the moment. Most likely will expand to movies and TV shows later on once I am more familiar with it. Do you think I need to buy the USB to internet adapter for the Mi Box? I read previous post and it seems like WiFi alone is good enough. I’ve tried watching YouTube and so far okay.

2) Now I have three sets of Netflix and YouTube app- Mi Box, Apple TV, Samsung TV built-in OS. If you were me, which device will you use to stream Netflix/YouTube for best picture/sound quality and no lag. So far I’ve been using it on my Samsung TV with Ethernet cable plugged in and everything is smooth and clear. A case of don’t fix it if it isn’t broken? So would you guys suggest I uninstall Netflix and YouTube from my Mi Box to save space?

3) Lastly, the HDMI cable that came with my Mi Box, is it 4K standard? Should I get a 4K cable or is it overkill? My TV is 65” UHD.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Charlie, appreciate it. Anyway, a few questions for you experts.

1) I’m currently use my 5Ghz WiFi and I use my Mi Box for streaming sports at the moment. Most likely will expand to movies and TV shows later on once I am more familiar with it. Do you think I need to buy the USB to internet adapter for the Mi Box? I read previous post and it seems like WiFi alone is good enough. I’ve tried watching YouTube and so far okay.

2) Now I have three sets of Netflix and YouTube app- Mi Box, Apple TV, Samsung TV built-in OS. If you were me, which device will you use to stream Netflix/YouTube for best picture/sound quality and no lag. So far I’ve been using it on my Samsung TV with Ethernet cable plugged in and everything is smooth and clear. A case of don’t fix it if it isn’t broken? So would you guys suggest I uninstall Netflix and YouTube from my Mi Box to save space?

3) Lastly, the HDMI cable that came with my Mi Box, is it 4K standard? Should I get a 4K cable or is it overkill? My TV is 65” UHD.
1) the 5ghz antenna in the mibox is good enough unless the location where you place the box doesn't have good 5ghz reception.. you can simple download or sideload the speed test app and test it.. it can reach a peak down and upload speed of around 250mbps. at this speed there is no need to get a USB to ethernet adaptor.

2) for this I would say just use whichever is easier for you to access to and serves your needs since all 3 mentioned are equally capable at streaming Netflix and YouTube. but you can't uninstall these two apps on the mibox since both of them are preinstalled apps.

3) the one that came with the box is good enough..

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you don't need to have very high speed for youtube and netflix.

for 4k netflix and youtube, 30Mbps is more than enough.

if you are using only Full HD or 1080p, 10Mbps is sufficient.

install analiti from playstore to find out the wifi speed.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
All right, thank you very much Charlie and Gregory bro, will heed your advice. Won’t be buying any cables and adapters.
RQmQqNs.jpg

Everything is working as expected- one minute slower than MioTV but I cannot complain since it’s free of charge.

bodohboy

Reaction score
All right, thank you very much Charlie and Gregory bro, will heed your advice. Won’t be buying any cables and adapters.
RQmQqNs.jpg

Everything is working as expected- one minute slower than MioTV but I cannot complain since it’s free of charge.

Hi bro what apps are you using? Mind sharing through PM?

syak_88

Reaction score
RQmQqNs.jpg

Bro can share how u watch football? Pm also can. Thx

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RQmQqNs.jpg

bro if you are using the app I pm-ed you.. try not to mindlessly share out in case it gets taken down.. thanks

MinorSage

Reaction score
Assuming i buy the chinese version, can i sideload apps if i have the apk already?

No need to change firmware or jailbreak/root right?

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
bro if you are using the app I pm-ed you.. try not to mindlessly share out in case it gets taken down.. thanks

Noted bro, the sports Apk is from my friend. He got it from some Facebook group I think. I only shared with a few brothers on this forum who PM me.

The one you shared with me I still testing out, haven’t shared with anyone yet. Trying to play around and find some Chinese entertainment for my parents.

Let’s enjoy the Everton Wolves game together!

moron+genius

Reaction score
Just got the mibox 3 and facing this issue:
Mibox is connected to Samsung soundbar hdmi 1 input den arc to tv and when 1st turn on tv shows the mibox output but 2nd turn on tv don’t show mibox anymore. I tried turn on/off power to mibox n press remote on/off button also no output on tv. I have soundbar set at hdmi 1. Hope someone can tell me wat goes wrong. Many thanks.

arctic_silver

Reaction score
I experienced the same problem when I had the mi box 3 a couple of years ago. I did managed to get it to work though but forgot how I did it lol. Overall I find the mi box a bit "temperamental". Sometime it work, sometime it doesn't and hence the reason I decided to switch to the fire stick 4k after it eventually died. The fire stick is in my opinion a much stable product

moron+genius

Reaction score
I experienced the same problem when I had the mi box 3 a couple of years ago. I did managed to get it to work though but forgot how I did it lol. Overall I find the mi box a bit "temperamental". Sometime it work, sometime it doesn't and hence the reason I decided to switch to the fire stick 4k after it eventually died. The fire stick is in my opinion a much stable product
Yes kinda temperamental but managed 2 get the video output now.
Now another problem:
Installed Kodi but how to set hd audio passthru? In Kodi audio setting there’s no setting available to turn on passthru.. any advice pls!

arctic_silver

Reaction score
I followed a tutorial video on YouTube on how to do just that (can't remember which video though). The solution work but one of the most annoying issue is that the setting would sometime reset once u switch off the mi box and u have to go through the setup process all over again

moron+genius

Reaction score
Y does Kodi system info says screen resolution is FHD when mibox3 is set at 4k 24hz?

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I just bought a Mi Box S today from the Xiaomi store. After setting up, I try to go to Settings> Display to change my resolution. But I can only see three options: 1080p, 720p and 480p. How do I enable 4K? My TV is a Samsung 43NU7100 and should support 4K

Zeerus

Reaction score
Hi, im new to xiao mi box. Any recommendation on what app to use?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.