Xiaomi Android TV Box discussion II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I just bought a Mi Box S today from the Xiaomi store. After setting up, I try to go to Settings> Display to change my resolution. But I can only see three options: 1080p, 720p and 480p. How do I enable 4K? My TV is a Samsung 43NU7100 and should support 4K

I recommend to limit it to 1080p even if it allows you to set to 4k.

43" is too small for 4k, you can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p if you are more than 2m from tv.

miltrader

Reaction score
Really glad that I bought the mibox S instead of chromecast.
Connected the mibox audio output to my audio receiver.
Now I can listen to spotify by casting from hp to mibox without the need to turn on tv. :D

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really glad that I bought the mibox S instead of chromecast.
Connected the mibox audio output to my audio receiver.
Now I can listen to spotify by casting from hp to mibox without the need to turn on tv. :D

it will be better if you connect to mibox's optical output. just need to buy a cheap cable which costs only a few dollars.

miltrader

Reaction score
it will be better if you connect to mibox's optical output. just need to buy a cheap cable which costs only a few dollars.
yes thanks, I used a 3.5mm-to-toslink optical cable. :)
Got it for about $4.50 from https://qoo.tn/BaQhgU/Q110484020
This optic cable is kind of fragile though, so gotta handle with care. I'm sure there're other more durable ones.

Realised that the mibox S audio output port is 2in1 type, can use either optic or electric cable.
I tried plugging in normal earphones and it worked.

Passer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does mi box s works with the viu app?

wanted to get viu premium for kdramas but my current box isn't supported.

Download viu via android tv store but when opening the app it says my device isn't supported.

If mi box s can run the viu app i may considering getting one.

miltrader

Reaction score

Download viu via android tv store but when opening the app it says my device isn't supported.

I tried viu free, but the viu tv app from play store didn't work. Not sure if the problem is due to the app or box.

These 2 methods work on mibox s for viu free (can try on your current box):
1) install viu on mobile or tablet, then cast it onto mibox s
or
2) sideload viu tablet app onto mibox s, and control the app using mouse or airmouse.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if you have premium account, you can view the video on mibox via casting.

just run the viu app on handphone, select the video and press the chromecast button.

magicsim

Reaction score
Toggles on Mi TV without playstore

HI ALL,

Need help from all, wonder anyone has any solution to Toggle apk for xiaomi TV?
Thanks in advance for the help.

S.

arctic_silver

Reaction score
I don't think toggle work with any android tv or box atm. Even on my Nvidia shield, I only get a blank screen

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think toggle work with any android tv or box atm. Even on my Nvidia shield, I only get a blank screen

it works, but you are not using the right method.

toogle is designed for phone, it also chromecast-enable, it allows you to cast the video on mibox s, shield or any other android tv.

some tv boxes running mobile android os can run toogle, although it is arkward to use.

arctic_silver

Reaction score
Casting is a different thing. U can cast anything if your device has chromecast built in. I think he's trying to play toggle directly on his xiaomi tv

arctic_silver

Reaction score
My 6 years old samsung smart tv is able to play toggle but when it comes to live shows, it simply doesn't work (it says something like my tv is not authorise to play the content). When that happen, I usually just mirror the content from my phone to my tv

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Casting is a different thing. U can cast anything if your device has chromecast built in. I think he's trying to play toggle directly on his xiaomi tv
mirroring and casting is two different things

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Passer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried viu free, but the viu tv app from play store didn't work. Not sure if the problem is due to the app or box.

These 2 methods work on mibox s for viu free (can try on your current box):
1) install viu on mobile or tablet, then cast it onto mibox s
or
2) sideload viu tablet app onto mibox s, and control the app using mouse or airmouse.

if you have premium account, you can view the video on mibox via casting.

just run the viu app on handphone, select the video and press the chromecast button.
Ok thanks! i guess i need to buy mi tv box s then.

my current android box doesn't support google casting.

for mi box s i guess this is the cheapest currently yeah?

https://www.qoo10.sg/g/552962197

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks! i guess i need to buy mi tv box s then.

my current android box doesn't support google casting.

for mi box s i guess this is the cheapest currently yeah?

https://www.qoo10.sg/g/552962197
yes I posted that same listing not too long ago.. that's the cheapest so far.

but if you can find the previous mibox3 then go for it instead.. faster processor than the mibox s and supports HD audio passthrough.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

netsuAi

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone has issue with tvbanywhere app from androidtv store where after "returning" to the app, the menu/drama icons don't load at all and it seems to be trying to initialize something? (Spinning bar in the middle)

Only reinstalling will fix the issue.

arctic_silver

Reaction score
The mi box 3 and s are basically the same thing. Same processor but the mi box 3 is clock higher (2Ghz if I'm not mistaken). I had the mi box 3 for 2 yrs before it finally died. I replaced it with the fire stick 4k instead of the mi box s because support for the mi box is horrible

arctic_silver

Reaction score
Anyone has issue with tvbanywhere app from androidtv store where after "returning" to the app, the menu/drama icons don't load at all and it seems to be trying to initialize something? (Spinning bar in the middle)

Only reinstalling will fix the issue.

Are u using the mi box s? My shield tv received the pie update last month and some apps either stop working or have issues playing properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.