Xiaomi Mi Max - Part 2

DRAGONGUY

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
0
Here we go - looks like I'll have to flash? I see the white border around the playstore app.

Edit: MIUI Global 8.0 | Stable | 8.0.3.0 (MDBMIDG)

Also tried to add my fingerprint but doesn't seem to work. Boo. Works now, looks like all it was trying to tell me was that there was insufficient finger space to scan.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 3W using GAGT

Just update can already. It's on older global official rom. If you have the feeling of unsafe-ness then just flash completely.
 

DRAGONGUY

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
0
Ah noted, thanks! Using the earlier link that you posted yes?

I had a brief read through - can I ask where I can download the official rom from?

Also, any tips in transferring stuff such as apps and contacts etc?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 3W using GAGT

Ermm ya, generally if you follow my previous guide, you are more or less there.

You can download from en.miui.com, helium is for sd652 sets (aka prime, 64gb or 128gb sets), hydrogen is for sd650 set (32gb sets). Do note, keywords fastboot rom.

You can sync it with google for contacts and should be ok. If not, use contact+.

For apps i think also can use google, but not sure since I always fresh install after flashing. Maybe the rest of the bros here can help on this?

Or you can try mi mover, I personally not tried this.

Cheers.
 
Last edited:

deckcard

Master Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
2,573
Reaction score
2
Just use miui backup and restore for apps/data, it's the closest thing u can get without rooted backup apps. I generally won't restore system data unless less crucial ones like browser history and stuff becos there might be incompatibility after upgrade
 

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,269
Reaction score
2,433
Cokiee,

If you don't want to flash. Just download the zip file (Recovery rom 8.2.1.0). Put it into the Download folder of your Mi Max and then select "Choose update package" from the 3-dots menu in the System Update.

To give yourself a piece of mind, just do a factory reset after updated to 8.2.1.0. :)
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,206
Reaction score
2,669
I have bought 3 xiaomi export sets now. No problems with hardware. Very reliable. But the ROM that comes is modified and not good. For 2 phones there were global ROMs so I could flash them(redmi note 2 and redmi note 3 SD). But another phone redmi note 3 MTK doesnt have global ROM. So I had to flash original China ROM and then using APK install Google apps. But still there are some China specific apps like Mi wallet, yellow pages etc that I cant remove unless I root the device, which I dont want to.

So, that is the only risk of buying export set of Xiaomi. Best is to buy the export set which has global ROM. Or else you will have to become adventurous with the ROM :s13:
 

Cloudi

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
1,130
Reaction score
63
Happy to report that my Mi Max 4/128 is here!

Ordered on 25th and received via Speedpost on 25th - Selected the regular shipping so this comes as quite fast to me; it was stated as arrive by 1st April originally.

My box comes with the phone, Iring and a simple clear silicon case.

Edit: Just opened the box and there's a interesting card that the seller has added. On one side, the card shows the name of the seller, and on the other side it asks that you give them 5 stars and positive reviews, plus gives you a telephone number and email address to contact them at in case there's a problem. The operating hours are also listed.

Edit 2: just realised it also comes with a clear screen protector. Don't know if it'll work tho.

why so fast? I ordered on 24th now the status still in processing....
 

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
23,377
Reaction score
4,314
Finally got my bootloader unlock code from Xiaomi, unlocked the bootloader and tried to flash LineageOS but failed. Wiped system partition and tried to flash stock ROM but also failed (error 7, this shouldn't be happening).

Then tried fastboot mode ROM flash but kept failing. Tried to run flash_all_except_storage.bat manually from Command Prompt, and failed too. But, from the commands which was in the BAT file, I realized the Chinese pretty much fail at software, and the issue was because the ROM files are in a folder with spaces in path, so I moved it to D:\hydrogen_blahblah, rather than D:\My Downloads\hydrogen_blahblah. Reflash again, and it's back alive!

Now to figure out how to get LineageOS loaded on this thing...
 

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
23,377
Reaction score
4,314
Okay I figured out how to install LineageOS liao, have to wipe system, dalvik, data & cache partitions in TWRP, then can flash the LineageOS ROM.

Before:
oSsHldol.png


After:
kpe6Syrl.png


Extra ~4GB of free space! :s22:
 

garychengjw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
24,738
Reaction score
2,285

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
8,692
Reaction score
12
Okay I figured out how to install LineageOS liao, have to wipe system, dalvik, data & cache partitions in TWRP, then can flash the LineageOS ROM.

Before:
oSsHldol.png


After:
kpe6Syrl.png


Extra ~4GB of free space! :s22:
Extra 4GB? MIUI has 25.5GB free whereas the LineageOS has 23.8GB free. The 29.12GB is before deducting the 5.38GB so technically it has 1.7GB lesser lol. MIUI don't take into account the storage used for the OS as the storage space that's why you don't see 29GB.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
 

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
23,377
Reaction score
4,314
Extra 4GB? MIUI has 25.5GB free whereas the LineageOS has 23.8GB free. The 29.12GB is before deducting the 5.38GB so technically it has 1.7GB lesser lol. MIUI don't take into account the storage used for the OS as the storage space that's why you don't see 29GB.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
Actually the ROMs can cheat a bit one la, due to partition resizing. But you're right. However, it's quite worth the trouble to have a "clean" ROM :)

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
 

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,269
Reaction score
2,433
Hmmm... MIUI is still not fast and smooth enough to few of you ahh? Haha!

Few of you are at the very high level liao.. Kekeke.
 

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
8,692
Reaction score
12

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
23,377
Reaction score
4,314

DRAGONGUY

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
0
Hmmm... MIUI is still not fast and smooth enough to few of you ahh? Haha!

Few of you are at the very high level liao.. Kekeke.

Not that is not fast and smooth for default official miui, however slow down a bit by unnecessary junks stuffs, which can be quite irritating sometimes.

Miui to miui comparison.
Xiaomi.eu miui rom operate much smoother than the officials one due to optimized by them. I have used it before, so I can kinda understand the rest of the guys. Besides that, it is based on china rom with global rom features. So simply iron out many things we experience on global.

I might be changing back soon to it though.

Update: Hints. Can use edl mode to flash twrp without unlocking the bootloader.
 
Last edited:

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,269
Reaction score
2,433
Not that is not fast and smooth for default official miui, however slow down a bit by unnecessary junks stuffs, which can be quite irritating sometimes.

Miui to miui comparison.
Xiaomi.eu miui rom operate much smoother than the officials one due to optimized by them. I have used it before, so I can kinda understand the rest of the guys. Besides that, it is based on china rom with global rom features. So simply iron out many things we experience on global.

I might be changing back soon to it though.

Update: Hints. Can use edl mode to flash twrp without unlocking the bootloader.


I see! I have not tried the eu rom yet.

Okay. I will try soon...Let me read thorugh first..
 

cokiee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
0
Ermm ya, generally if you follow my previous guide, you are more or less there.

You can download from en.miui.com, helium is for sd652 sets (aka prime, 64gb or 128gb sets), hydrogen is for sd650 set (32gb sets). Do note, keywords fastboot rom.

You can sync it with google for contacts and should be ok. If not, use contact+.

For apps i think also can use google, but not sure since I always fresh install after flashing. Maybe the rest of the bros here can help on this?

Or you can try mi mover, I personally not tried this.

Cheers.
Just use miui backup and restore for apps/data, it's the closest thing u can get without rooted backup apps. I generally won't restore system data unless less crucial ones like browser history and stuff becos there might be incompatibility after upgrade
Got it, thanks! Will try it out.

Cokiee,

If you don't want to flash. Just download the zip file (Recovery rom 8.2.1.0). Put it into the Download folder of your Mi Max and then select "Choose update package" from the 3-dots menu in the System Update.

To give yourself a piece of mind, just do a factory reset after updated to 8.2.1.0. :)
Actually, it's kinda the reverse. Heh. I do want to flash it out to ensure that it's the phone is clean. Hehe.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 3W using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top