Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I still remember bad old days of analog indoor antennas giving fuzzy and grainy images. :( For digital signal, I believe it's is either we get a perfect image on the screen or nothing at all?

i think should be whether it's pixellated or not pixellated.
for my dvb-t reception, Digital 8 and others all very pixellated as the signal quality is only 30-80% fluctuating.
compare to my hubstation hd reception, all mediacorp channels ch8,u,cna,etc. (upscaled to 1080i) and HD5 are very clear without any pixellation.

seems like the ch 8(HD) test is just an upscale almost the same as what we are watching on hubstation hd.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
ST and SH? Singtel and Starhub? How are they related to T2?

not related to dvb-t2 but related to HD.
all mediacorp HD channels should be available on pay-tv.
eg. starhub ch102 is 5(SD), ch155 is HD5.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

I still remember bad old days of analog indoor antennas giving fuzzy and grainy images. :( For digital signal, I believe it's is either we get a perfect image on the screen or nothing at all?
That is called the cliff effect as shown in the picture below:
schemat_01.gif

At the cliff the pic is pixellated. If the signal is slightly better, you have perfect pic. At the other side, if the signal is slight weaker, you have nothing.

A layman explanation is here:
Cliff effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the technically minded, read this:
Measurements and amplification of DTT (DVB-T) signals

oselgan

Reaction score
No successful scan for any HD mediacorp channel

Hi folks,
In Sengkang, I have been trying to auto-scan for HD mediacorp channels using my new Samsung series 7 LED TV which has the built-in DVB-T2 tuner. The indoor antenna is a cheap one bought from the neighbourhood hardware shop - think it is a passive one, doesn't seem to have any active PCB circuitry for signal boosting. Worst of all, I can't even get any good quality for the existing analogue SD mediacorp channels.

Could the problem related to my cheapo indoor antenna? Any proven indoor antenna to to recommend if it is really the indoor antenna issue? Thanks.

chuppachop

Reaction score
Was tied up...thanks to those who answered the questions on my behalf. :)

MDA requires the SingTel mio TV and Starhub to carry the MediaCorp HD Chs.....hence their testing.

Thanks.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
In Sengkang, I have been trying to auto-scan for HD mediacorp channels using my new Samsung series 7 LED TV which has the built-in DVB-T2 tuner. The indoor antenna is a cheap one bought from the neighbourhood hardware shop - think it is a passive one, doesn't seem to have any active PCB circuitry for signal boosting. Worst of all, I can't even get any good quality for the existing analogue SD mediacorp channels.

Could the problem related to my cheapo indoor antenna? Any proven indoor antenna to to recommend if it is really the indoor antenna issue? Thanks.
Is there any roof top antennae in your block. Did you plug in to the wall outlet socket? You won't get good analogue reception from indoor antenna.

Last edited:

whiteflag

Reaction score
i am getting a new tv. is there anything i should take note of to make sure the tv i get can use this technology next time

petetherock

Reaction score
i am getting a new tv. is there anything i should take note of to make sure the tv i get can use this technology next time
Try reading through this thread. Lots of useful info already posted that will help.

Cheers

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Was tied up...thanks to those who answered the questions on my behalf. :)

MDA requires the SingTel mio TV and Starhub to carry the MediaCorp HD Chs.....hence their testing.

Thanks.
That's the spirit of sharing info and knowledge.

oric1

Reaction score
UHF27 - 522MHz

Channel U(SD) - live
Channel News Asia (SD) - live
okto (SD) - live

UHF29 - 538MHz

Suria (HD) - live
Channel 5 (HD) - live

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live

I connected my Samsung Series 7 LED TV which support both DVB-T2 / C DTV Tuner to the SCV cable wall socket. My HDB block is relatively new (built 23 years ago).

When I did a scan for digital signal, it only show KHz, how come no MHz.

Pardon me, I'm a total noob in such technology. Thanks!

morgankell

Reaction score
sigh... any bros cant receive the dvb t2 signal? lol my pctv nanostick t2 is still receiving the old dvb channels at potong pasir via condo antennae

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I connected my Samsung Series 7 LED TV which support both DVB-T2 / C DTV Tuner to the SCV cable wall socket. My HDB block is relatively new (built 23 years ago).

The scv socket doesn't carry the appropriate signal. You will need to connect your tv directly to an antenna. I DIYed one by simply connecting the wire (the copper wire sticking out of the cable) to a thin metal rod.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

1 Mhz = 1000KHz. For example Chan 38 is 607MHz = 607000KHz. This is what you should see on your tv.You won't see this chan through starhub, though.

To verify what I said, do a manual scan for analogue for chan 5 and you should see 175000KHz which is 175MHz.

The other part of your unsaid question has been answer by congster2.

Edit: You should still be able to receive HD5 on scv point since you have dvb-c. This has been explained by Kiwi8.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
sigh... any bros cant receive the dvb t2 signal? lol my pctv nanostick t2 is still receiving the old dvb channels at potong pasir via condo antennae
Yours is T2? Were you able to receive chan 29 (dig5, dig 8 and dig CNA) when it was used for dvb - t?

It looks like you have confirmed what I have been saying all along - Not all DVB -T2 are the same. :s13::s13:

Any one who has a success story? I would like to hear it. There were posts before but it was not clear whether they were using t2 usb or t2 set top box.

Last edited:

andmic04

Reaction score
Yours is T2? Were you able to receive chan 29 (dig5, dig 8 and dig CNA) when it was used for dvb - t?

It looks like you have confirmed what I have been saying all along - Not all DVB -T2 are the same. :s13::s13:

Any one who has a success story? I would like to hear it. There were posts before but it was not clear whether they were using t2 usb or t2 set top box.

I am one of those using t2 set top box which could not received any DVB-T2 signal at all but achieve 100% signal strength on the current DVB-T.
Not sure if it because of the box or the area issue. btw, I reside in sembawang area.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
I am one of those using t2 set top box which could not received any DVB-T2 signal at all but achieve 100% signal strength on the current DVB-T.
Not sure if it because of the box or the area issue. btw, I reside in sembawang area.
100% signal strength for dvb-t as seen from your tv set or from the set top box?

Uraku Asia

Reaction score

I suspect your DVB-T2 Set top box is older version ( v.1.1.1 or v.1.2.1). To receive local DVB-T2 channels, your DVB-T2 set top box must support v.1.3.1 .

Previously i bought one DVB-T2 V1.2.1, now it can't receive any DVB-T2 Channel. Recently i get a new DVB-T2 v1.3.1 SetTopBox (designed by local company),i can receive all the DVB-T2 & T channels in my reside area (Jurong East) via indoor antenna(No power required).

Be careful, when you buy a DVB-T2 receiver online.

morgankell

Reaction score
well bros, i can receive dvb t perfectly well (the original ch 5hd, ch5 sd, ch 8 and cna).. cant catch any dvb t2 signals; i dont know if its related to the area signal not being activated (i.e. potong pasir has no dvb t2) or my usb stick just cannot make it...

its a haupaugge pctv nanostick t2 (which is sold locally)
Hauppauge Computer Works
anyone has it?

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
I suspect your DVB-T2 Set top box is older version ( v.1.1.1 or v.1.2.1). To receive local DVB-T2 channels, your DVB-T2 set top box must support v.1.3.1 .

Previously i bought one DVB-T2 V1.2.1, now it can't receive any DVB-T2 Channel. Recently i get a new DVB-T2 v1.3.1 SetTopBox (designed by local company),i can receive all the DVB-T2 & T channels in my reside area (Jurong East) via indoor antenna(No power required).

Be careful, when you buy a DVB-T2 receiver online.
Hear, hear...

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
well bros, i can receive dvb t perfectly well (the original ch 5hd, ch5 sd, ch 8 and cna).. cant catch any dvb t2 signals; i dont know if its related to the area signal not being activated (i.e. potong pasir has no dvb t2) or my usb stick just cannot make it...

its a haupaugge pctv nanostick t2 (which is sold locally)
Hauppauge Computer Works
anyone has it?
Uraku Asia has given the explanation. Freeview HD is diffrent from our sg standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.