2018 Macbook Pros launched

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
Help me decide!

This is my first time buying into the apple ecosystem after buying an ipad pro 3 months back. Reason for getting an MBP is because of uni.

I am mainly a business student but i love to do photo editing (LR maybe switching to capture one pro, still learning PS) as a hobby. May or may not be going into video (FCPX).

Have the following options available to me.

1) 13" MBP TB: i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512gb, + applecare: $3,258 (free beats solo 3)

2) 13" MBP TB: i7 quad core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,346 (free beats solo 3)

3) 15" MBP TB base model, from uni roadshow: i7 6 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,326 (nothing free)

4) 15" MBP TB 2017 refurbished: i7 4 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + apple care: $3,159

If I were you I'd take option 3. It's the latest model and the specs are already very good. Free stuffs you might not use or like it so doesn't matter.
 

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
112,649
Reaction score
4,415
Help me decide!

This is my first time buying into the apple ecosystem after buying an ipad pro 3 months back. Reason for getting an MBP is because of uni.

I am mainly a business student but i love to do photo editing (LR maybe switching to capture one pro, still learning PS) as a hobby. May or may not be going into video (FCPX).

Have the following options available to me.

1) 13" MBP TB: i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512gb, + applecare: $3,258 (free beats solo 3)

2) 13" MBP TB: i7 quad core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,346 (free beats solo 3)

3) 15" MBP TB base model, from uni roadshow: i7 6 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,326 (nothing free)

4) 15" MBP TB 2017 refurbished: i7 4 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + apple care: $3,159
if you can't decide. don't buy.

MBP is for people who knows what they need. it is priced so high for a reason.
 

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
112,649
Reaction score
4,415

jermx9

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
6,029
Reaction score
18
Help me decide!

This is my first time buying into the apple ecosystem after buying an ipad pro 3 months back. Reason for getting an MBP is because of uni.

I am mainly a business student but i love to do photo editing (LR maybe switching to capture one pro, still learning PS) as a hobby. May or may not be going into video (FCPX).

Have the following options available to me.

1) 13" MBP TB: i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512gb, + applecare: $3,258 (free beats solo 3)

2) 13" MBP TB: i7 quad core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,346 (free beats solo 3)

3) 15" MBP TB base model, from uni roadshow: i7 6 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,326 (nothing free)

4) 15" MBP TB 2017 refurbished: i7 4 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + apple care: $3,159

Option 3 would be the most viable. But it also boils down to personal preference whether you would want to bring a 15” MBP around. I do get a lot of comments on why I would choose such a big computer and inconvenience to bring around. I’m alright with it.

If you choose a 13”, I would go with option 1 instead. Just my 2 cents
 

Reignxy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2011
Messages
1,615
Reaction score
0
Ordered this morning on Apple education store and picked up from Apple store.
oFRkugV.jpg

My first mac :)

They got check your student card ah?
 

8898108

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2012
Messages
1,110
Reaction score
138
They got check your student card ah?
I’m not a student/teacher
I ordered online using my Cousin’s(a teacher) name and set myself as the pick up person.
They only call me to verify credit card info. Never check student card/staff id etc
 

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
112,649
Reaction score
4,415
2018 13-Inch MacBook Pro With Touch Bar Has Four Full-Speed Thunderbolt 3 Ports
Apple has confirmed that the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is equipped with four full-speed Thunderbolt 3 ports.
2016 and 2017 models of the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar could be configured with sixth- and seventh-generation Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors, which supported up to 12 PCI Express lanes, limiting full speeds to the two left-side Thunderbolt 3 ports, with reduced bandwidth on the right-side ports.
 

yamakazi51

Master Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
4,899
Reaction score
1,235
Help me decide!

This is my first time buying into the apple ecosystem after buying an ipad pro 3 months back. Reason for getting an MBP is because of uni.

I am mainly a business student but i love to do photo editing (LR maybe switching to capture one pro, still learning PS) as a hobby. May or may not be going into video (FCPX).

Have the following options available to me.

1) 13" MBP TB: i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512gb, + applecare: $3,258 (free beats solo 3)

2) 13" MBP TB: i7 quad core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,346 (free beats solo 3)

3) 15" MBP TB base model, from uni roadshow: i7 6 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,326 (nothing free)

4) 15" MBP TB 2017 refurbished: i7 4 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + apple care: $3,159

Personally if I'm a student, will get option 1 then sell the headphone to offset. SSD is non upgradeable anyway, and processor speed is not that critical for student works. Unless we are talking professional who uses the mbp to earn money where faster machine means can earn faster.
 

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
22,623
Reaction score
899
Help me decide!

This is my first time buying into the apple ecosystem after buying an ipad pro 3 months back. Reason for getting an MBP is because of uni.

I am mainly a business student but i love to do photo editing (LR maybe switching to capture one pro, still learning PS) as a hobby. May or may not be going into video (FCPX).

Have the following options available to me.

1) 13" MBP TB: i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512gb, + applecare: $3,258 (free beats solo 3)

2) 13" MBP TB: i7 quad core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,346 (free beats solo 3)

3) 15" MBP TB base model, from uni roadshow: i7 6 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,326 (nothing free)

4) 15" MBP TB 2017 refurbished: i7 4 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + apple care: $3,159

I would go for option 1.

As you are a student, you will be lugging the laptop around often. 13" MBP is lighter and less burden on your back/hands. Option 2 will have faster processing time for your video hobby, BUT the 256GB SSD will fill up very quickly with large video files, so the 512GB will be handy here.
 

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
112,649
Reaction score
4,415

jsoh123

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Does anyone have other macbook prior to MBP 2018? I only have my mail app and safari on, but I could feel my computer radiating quite a bit of heat already.

I'm not sure if its normal as I have never owned a MBP before. The specs of my MBP are as followed: 2.3Ghz quad core, 16gb ram.

Anyone have older MacBook Pro to set as a reference? Is it normal?
 

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
8,712
Reaction score
4
Is it 13” model? I have my old 2015 model. At times quite hot but manageable. I guess the new ones very powerful hence hotter?
 

jsoh123

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
yeah, I was thinking so too. but kinda annoying cos I could feel my palm sweaty from 10 mins of use. and I don't have that usually. Contemplating whether to return it...

Any tips that may cause the overall heat to go down? In terms of system settings.
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Does anyone have other macbook prior to MBP 2018? I only have my mail app and safari on, but I could feel my computer radiating quite a bit of heat already.

I'm not sure if its normal as I have never owned a MBP before. The specs of my MBP are as followed: 2.3Ghz quad core, 16gb ram.

Anyone have older MacBook Pro to set as a reference? Is it normal?

i have the same specs for 2017, not much heat also.. usually just light downloading and safari with outlook app on, seldom got fan noise unless i watching 4k video or streaming videos..
 

rvyne7

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
582
Reaction score
6
Does anyone have other macbook prior to MBP 2018? I only have my mail app and safari on, but I could feel my computer radiating quite a bit of heat already.

I'm not sure if its normal as I have never owned a MBP before. The specs of my MBP are as followed: 2.3Ghz quad core, 16gb ram.

Anyone have older MacBook Pro to set as a reference? Is it normal?

Never encounter heating issue on regular usage of my MBP 13" late 2016 model. The only time I encounter not regular heating thingy was when I tried using eGPU without limiting my cpu to 99% and outdated drivers/software.

someone complaining about that temp too but using bootcamp + eGPU
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2...tation-pro-macos10-13-6-theitsage/#post-40297
 

jsoh123

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hmmm ah I see, probably I will just keep a look out on the reviews of mbp. haha, hopefully it's just some getting used to. :/
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,484
Reaction score
3,163
what does yr activity monitor say? which app with highest power use? which app causing e cpu to b at 100%?
 

Parka

Master Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
3,638
Reaction score
248
Help me decide!

This is my first time buying into the apple ecosystem after buying an ipad pro 3 months back. Reason for getting an MBP is because of uni.

I am mainly a business student but i love to do photo editing (LR maybe switching to capture one pro, still learning PS) as a hobby. May or may not be going into video (FCPX).

Have the following options available to me.

1) 13" MBP TB: i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512gb, + applecare: $3,258 (free beats solo 3)

2) 13" MBP TB: i7 quad core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,346 (free beats solo 3)

3) 15" MBP TB base model, from uni roadshow: i7 6 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + applecare: $3,326 (nothing free)

4) 15" MBP TB 2017 refurbished: i7 4 core, 16gb ram, 256gb, + apple care: $3,159

Option 1. 256gb is not exactly 256gb.
Digital photo files nowadays getting huge. Each file 20MB. 100 photos already 2GB.
When you shoot video, files are even larger.
The processor does not matter as all are more than fast enough for a may-or-may-not-edit-video kind of guy.
 

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
8,712
Reaction score
4
Option 1. 256gb is not exactly 256gb.
Digital photo files nowadays getting huge. Each file 20MB. 100 photos already 2GB.
When you shoot video, files are even larger.
The processor does not matter as all are more than fast enough for a may-or-may-not-edit-video kind of guy.

Actually can point to Nas also for storage. The other possibility is having an external HDD
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top