Air purifier? - Part 2

tcyeric

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
6
I used to suffer from daily sneezing upon waking up in the past due to sensitivity and allergic.

Here’s some of the APs and brands that I have used to have and tried. works for me, at least reduce the occurrence/improve my condition (now more or less I don’t have that issue, but lifestyle and diet plays a role too)
Disclaimer: I not saying the below will sure work for you. Or other brands not listed will not work for you. No hor.

Honeywell (those cylinder type, very old model 17xxx 18xxx)
My very first AP that I bought years ago. Their HEPA filter very big as in very thick. The outer rim will turn black after a relatively long period of usage, the inner rim still remain white. Very solid. But these old models can be noisy. Better hear it yourself at stores see if is acceptable. Otherwise, may want to see their newer models, but I never try before, so cannot comment.

Given / sold to others. Partly also because their filters getting more expensive locally. If not for the noise and expensive filter, I like this. Personal preference only.

Samsung AX40
Bought oversea. Good. I sold off because that time their original filters from those online oversea sellers getting more and more expensive. Unless you got lobang and don’t mind customise filters from Taobao.

Sharp
Plasmacluster technology. Quite good for odour etc. Exact model I cannot remember. Not those small ones. That old model I have sold away also.

XiaoMi Pro
Currently am still using XM Pro for all my bedrooms. Still works well for my case. Old model also. If you are keen on XM, perhaps can consider their newer models instead. Am still using mainly because their filters are affordable online and more sources. Practical for me especially for long run.

Other brands that I have used before were Coway, Hitachi ... getting too long I don’t comment le. I also have Sqair, minimalistic. Currently resides in my storeroom. Not using anymore.

Active APs I’m currently still using daily throughout the night are:
XM Pros for all my bedrooms
XM Pro H for my living hall

I still have one Sharp, newer model and one Novita. For occasional specific usage whenever required. Not exactly for my daily usage. So I don’t comment further here.

Those above APs that I no longer using doesn’t mean they no good or XM is better hor. Not that.

Sometimes people say AP doesn’t work, but they are operating at auto / Low mode, windows open etc. You have to find one that is powerful enough to clean your area, fast. Else you probably won’t see any noticeable difference. Yet at the same time, the noise level is acceptable for you and the filters price are ok for you, especially in long run.

Many many new models, new brands, new APs out there. Take your time to compare. Hopefully you can find one that may somehow help in your condition. Hopefully you will find this useful in one way or another.

Is the XM Pro really that good?
Coming from experience in using a XM 3, I feel that the XM 3 does not seem to do its job very well. On auto mode I have ever only heard the fan speeds pick up only when it can detect joss stick smells, but other smells like say a fart it does not have any effect in terms of air quality score.

i use a fart as an example cause it would be the most common kind of "unpleasant smell" one would face say in the bedroom. I have used a Novita and a Dyson and both have at least detected a change in air quality score or fan speed at least but totally nothing on the XM 3.

Honestly I am considering another AP once the filters of the XM 3 are fully consumed :|
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,278
Reaction score
87
Is the XM Pro really that good?
Coming from experience in using a XM 3, I feel that the XM 3 does not seem to do its job very well. On auto mode I have ever only heard the fan speeds pick up only when it can detect joss stick smells, but other smells like say a fart it does not have any effect in terms of air quality score.

i use a fart as an example cause it would be the most common kind of "unpleasant smell" one would face say in the bedroom. I have used a Novita and a Dyson and both have at least detected a change in air quality score or fan speed at least but totally nothing on the XM 3.

Honestly I am considering another AP once the filters of the XM 3 are fully consumed :|
I don’t use auto mode. Auto mode and night mode literally is “useless” to me. I only use manual favorite mode.

If you don’t find XM3 good, I think probably you may also not find XM Pro suits you. XM Pro is an older model even though is more “powerful” comparatively. Both using the same “size/type” filters - as in the blue/green/purple/grey.

I wouldn’t say XM Pro is that good. Just that is good enough for me especially in long run for the cost. I still stick to XM mainly because of the filter cost and yet still works for me. Of course there are many other “better” APs out there. 😊
 
Last edited:

mindgamey

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
150
Is the XM Pro really that good?
Coming from experience in using a XM 3, I feel that the XM 3 does not seem to do its job very well. On auto mode I have ever only heard the fan speeds pick up only when it can detect joss stick smells, but other smells like say a fart it does not have any effect in terms of air quality score.

i use a fart as an example cause it would be the most common kind of "unpleasant smell" one would face say in the bedroom. I have used a Novita and a Dyson and both have at least detected a change in air quality score or fan speed at least but totally nothing on the XM 3.

Honestly I am considering another AP once the filters of the XM 3 are fully consumed :|
You dont use Auto mode because typical set a high threshold before it will kick up the speed. By high threshold I mean the air quality has to be as bad as those we got during haze season, 200 - 300 PSI sort of air pollution.

As lucky177 said, set the speed which is sufficient to keep pollutant down (using the built-in meter as a guide), or follow me, I use favourite mode and set it a the highest speed I can bear and still fall asleep.

I like the recent XM models because using favourite mode, you can set the speed at very fine granularity.

Other brands have fixed speed, and sometimes, speed 1 is too low, speed 2 is too loud, you wish there is speed 1.5.

Auto mode and night mode is useless, unless your room is really air-tight (which you will eventually suffocate or die from CO2 poisoning)
 

tcyeric

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
6
fair points about auto mode, :| guess i will find a good speed/noise level for night time.

am looking probably for one which has better detection /reaction to changes in smell etc i suppose.

on a general concensus, i understand that sharp is on the pricier side of things but how good are they for APs though?
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,278
Reaction score
87
Sharp Plasmacluster technology is good, I find it quite effective for odour if that’s what you looking for.

If I not wrong, higher end models such as their J80-E, I think can buy and replace the “ionizer” unit IZ-C90ME inside once reached the lifespan.



Lower end models dunno. Dun think so. Maybe I wrong.
 
Last edited:

mindgamey

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
150
Sharp Plasmacluster technology is good, I find it quite effective for odour if that’s what you looking for.

If I not wrong, higher end models such as their J80-E, I think can buy and replace the “ionizer” unit IZ-C90ME inside once reached the lifespan.



Lower end models dunno. Dun think so. Maybe I wrong.

Apart from price, you will run into issue getting replacement filters.

I have a Sharp KC A50 for about 8 years, around the 5th year mark I started to find it difficult to get replacement via retail.

Right now it's very difficult to find online even unless you ok with third party custom filters.

Original Filters are also not cheap relative to the others we recommended here, easily double the price.

Other than that, it is workhorse, I had my A50 on for 5 days straight (including 16 hours of max speed) during the previous haze season.

Though now, you can hunt a slight hunting noise when in operating, irritating for sleeping room, it has now been relegated to be backup AP.
 

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
61,734
Reaction score
3,578
do anyone knoe where to get Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier?? official from Xiaomi shop
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,278
Reaction score
87
do anyone knoe where to get Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier?? official from Xiaomi shop
Last time I bought my APs from online - Qoo10, Shopee… no specific sellers. Generally I see cheaper pricing and positive reviews as reference. Not from official xiaomi shop.

If you prefer official, maybe go directly to their retail outlets instead of online? Can also on the spot get a feel of the demo set or check…
 

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
61,734
Reaction score
3,578
Last time I bought my APs from online - Qoo10, Shopee… no specific sellers. Generally I see cheaper pricing and positive reviews as reference. Not from official xiaomi shop.

If you prefer official, maybe go directly to their retail outlets instead of online? Can also on the spot get a feel of the demo set or check…
Need local set as I help company buy haha
 

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
61,734
Reaction score
3,578
AC room must get filter or no need?

For myself this time haha
 

Niaoson

Master Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
4,308
Reaction score
6
Any experience using a small portable air purifier? Intuitively feels like it won't have a high enough CADR but wanted to see what the experts here have to say :LOL:
 

PeasantBeing

Master Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
4,491
Reaction score
133
Anybody using the Samsung AX40? Mine encountered a blinking light problem, exactly same as the problem shown in the YouTube video
I tried to reset it by pressing 2nd & 4th buttons, and then 1st and 3rd buttons, didn't work. And then pressing the 2nd & 4th buttons, and then 1st & 2nd buttons, also didn't work.

Such a pity, it is a good air purifier.
 

lasnoblur

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
5,461
Reaction score
798
i am using Novita. I find their customer service is quite unique compared to other brands.
Every year, they would reward past customers by giving out free items such as masks, etc.

Product wise, they are pricer in the market but functionality wise, they are quite decent.
 

babalusan

Member
Joined
May 6, 2013
Messages
199
Reaction score
29
Anyone with sinus and is using sqair care to review? is it good for sinus?
Need to buy one for my 5room hdb but this sqair scare not enough
blast mini might be overkill
every 4hours my neighbour from below pray, causing incense smell and smoke to irritate my sinus and nose....
 

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,559
Reaction score
345
Anyone with sinus and is using sqair care to review? is it good for sinus?
Need to buy one for my 5room hdb but this sqair scare not enough
blast mini might be overkill
every 4hours my neighbour from below pray, causing incense smell and smoke to irritate my sinus and nose....

I have morning sinus in the past until I got me the Sqair. It is very effective imo.
 

encore888

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2021
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
I am using Hitachi ep-pz30j -- very good overall, and there are good third-party replacement air filters on Lazada for $40.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top