Alipay in China

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,386
Reaction score
12,324
Don't know what the transfer limit, but know is more than $1000RMB, just did it, haha.

Good to know that. I also think it should be higher than RMB1000 and below RMB100k, not so sure about the limit as this thingy is never really officially supported.
 

jazzz

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
616
Reaction score
5
Any1 doing topup for Alipay balance (not tour pass)? If yes, can do a small amount transfer 1st to see whether account working and also to confirm $ in balance can use for taobao online payment here.... Thks......
 

runqiang

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2013
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Many of the Street vendors will let you pay by wechat wallet/ Alipay. I have seen this with QR codes on their push cart selling fruits.

But the Alipay you use here to settle taobao, is very different.
To pay in China via Alipay, the only option is to enable tourpass.
If not you got to have China Mobile number and bank acct to pass the verification.

If you use Alipay Tourpass, one problem I encounter is I can’t top up anymore after I have top up ¥2000 even if the balance is low. Seems like tourpass set a overall topup quota.
 

icycokes

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
146
Reaction score
35
Many of the Street vendors will let you pay by wechat wallet/ Alipay. I have seen this with QR codes on their push cart selling fruits.

But the Alipay you use here to settle taobao, is very different.
To pay in China via Alipay, the only option is to enable tourpass.
If not you got to have China Mobile number and bank acct to pass the verification.

If you use Alipay Tourpass, one problem I encounter is I can’t top up anymore after I have top up ¥2000 even if the balance is low. Seems like tourpass set a overall topup quota.

Ditto. Unlike what was reported on other news sites i.e. Alipay allows you to top up with a "reasonable" limit - the upper limit is RMB2K and there's no work around at the moment :(
 

Eddied

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
48,785
Reaction score
184
Just a note to anyone who wants to use alipay only in China, some taxi drivers only have wechat pay so you have to use that or cash. Otherwise, use didi all the way and pay by alipay within the app. Not sure if didi taxi can pay using alipay in the app though.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,386
Reaction score
12,324
Just a note to anyone who wants to use alipay only in China, some taxi drivers only have wechat pay so you have to use that or cash. Otherwise, use didi all the way and pay by alipay within the app. Not sure if didi taxi can pay using alipay in the app though.

By right you can pay by Singapore credit card within Wechat app for Didi.

Me -- Wechat Pay -- Powered by 3rd party operator ----- Ride Haling

This will open up Didi's 微信小程序.

Or you can pay in Didi app.

More info here by Hardwarezone.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-wechat-pay-overseas-credit-cards
 
Last edited:

icycokes

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
146
Reaction score
35
Ditto what xiaofan just said. Didi has no problem adding international credit card so you can use it like Grab.

You'll be charged in HKD through their HK subsidiary. Again, you lose out on the exchange rate.
 

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2000
Messages
37,479
Reaction score
1,561
I topped up 600rmb in tour pass and was asked to register a fingerprint. So does this mean there is a hard limit of 2000y for topup? After you top up this amount you cannot add any more, even after spending the balance?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 7 using GAGT
 

Eddied

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
48,785
Reaction score
184
By right you can pay by Singapore credit card within Wechat app for Didi.

Me -- Wechat Pay -- Powered by 3rd party operator ----- Ride Haling

This will open up Didi's 微信小程序.

Or you can pay in Didi app.

More info here by Hardwarezone.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-wechat-pay-overseas-credit-cards
I took a taxi by the roadside and not through didi, can I still pay using wechat pay? I also took a car arranged by my host who accepts only wechat pay, ended up paying cash :s22:
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,386
Reaction score
12,324
I took a taxi by the roadside and not through didi, can I still pay using wechat pay? I also took a car arranged by my host who accepts only wechat pay, ended up paying cash :s22:

Not able to pay by Wechat Pay with Singapore credit card in that case. Alipay Tourpass should work.

But cash is still accepted.
 

Eddied

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
48,785
Reaction score
184
Not able to pay by Wechat Pay with Singapore credit card in that case. Alipay Tourpass should work.

But cash is still accepted.
Yes the problem I was trying to highlight is that some taxi drivers don't have alipay at all, so better prepare a backup, seems like wechat pay is more dominant
 

lbcben

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2002
Messages
9,087
Reaction score
1,598
I just talked to Customer service. the problem is the tour pass needs your account to be login using a foreign phone number. I login my current alipay account using email address.

Now, I have to create a new alipay account using my phone number. After that the App prompted me to switch the international version.

I tried to top up the tour pass and filing all the information (passport etc). However, after uploading the passport photo, the apps just stop proceeding to the next step:s11:

my existing login is using email, not foreign mobile number, so system prompt "tourpass is for selected user only"
Anyone has any idea, on "how to change my existing email login to login using SG mobile number", so that I can use tourpass?

Thanks.
 

icycokes

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
146
Reaction score
35
After several failed attempts to reload Alipay, it worked just now. This is after the 3rd RMB1K reload. Hope yours work too.
 

icycokes

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
146
Reaction score
35
If anything, I uploaded the first page of my passport within the app for identification verification. Even though now it still shows “unverified” on my profile.
 

Slowdown

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2003
Messages
3,616
Reaction score
886
Have you changed your acct to International?

Me > Setting > Region > International

my existing login is using email, not foreign mobile number, so system prompt "tourpass is for selected user only"
Anyone has any idea, on "how to change my existing email login to login using SG mobile number", so that I can use tourpass?

Thanks.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,386
Reaction score
12,324
Yes the problem I was trying to highlight is that some taxi drivers don't have alipay at all, so better prepare a backup, seems like wechat pay is more dominant

Actually Alipay is more widely used in China than WeChat Pay. But you are right some place may only accept one of them and the local people there will have both Wechat Pay and Alipay anyway.

Cash is a always a good backup.

Ref:
https://themindstudios.com/blog/china-payment-systems-guide/
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top