Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using sg tv box? Laggy, app can't launch etc. Very problematic

Another preloaded box? Where do you buy the box?

In general, do not pay anything above S$100 to unknown brand TV boxes from push carts, Facebook group, etc.

If you really want to buy preloaded box above S$100, then buy Ubox which is more well-known and the company Unblock Tech has managed to survive so far (I do not recommend it but I understand why people buy Ubox).

Last edited:

DesertStrike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another preloaded box? Where do you buy the box?

In general, do not pay anything above S$100 to unknown brand TV boxes from push carts, Facebook group, etc.

If you really want to buy preloaded box above S$100, then buy Ubox which is more well-known and the company Unblock Tech has managed to survive so far (I do not recommend it but I understand why people buy Ubox).

from facebook...
damned... where should i buy from?

DesertStrike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what can i do if they dun refund? can i go police?
i have conversation record, video of the guy who came to install, phone number etc...

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what can i do if they dun refund? can i go police?
i have conversation record, video of the guy who came to install, phone number etc...

I suggest you do that so that they cannot scam the uninitiated.

but don't know whether police want to take up the case.

evo_vi

Reaction score
hi all, thanks to all the experts here for sharing good info on TV boxes.

I need advice on my current problem...

I have been using an old Android box running on Android 6. My TV is not compatible with Digital TV, n is connected to this box via HDMI.

Up to a few days ago, I was happily using this box mainly for:
1) Mewatch - to watch local TV channels since I cannot use Digital TV
2) Viu - to watch dramas
3) the occasional Youtube video

However a few days ago, they forced us to use the latest version of Mewatch, there was an error n I cannot watch local channels live anymore.

I have been reading up, at first I was hoping that by buying a new box would solve my problem, but to my understanding it is not straightforward at all:

A) if I buy a new box with Android TV OS (Google certified)
I can use Google Cast (Chromecast built-in) to cast to my TV, from my Mewatch app on my phone, phone --> TV box --> TV
But I cannot use Viu anymore n I have to pay for Viu Premium to cast the same way as Mewatch.

B) if I buy a new box with Android OS (meaning phone OS)
I cannot do Google Cast, but I can still install Viu app n watch on TV for free without cast. To watch local channels, I have to replace my TV which I plan to do soon (as it is quite old).

May I know is there is a better option than the above 2? Please correct me if my understanding of Option A n B is wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, thanks to all the experts here for sharing good info on TV boxes.

I need advice on my current problem...

I have been using an old Android box running on Android 6. My TV is not compatible with Digital TV, n is connected to this box via HDMI.

Up to a few days ago, I was happily using this box mainly for:
1) Mewatch - to watch local TV channels since I cannot use Digital TV
2) Viu - to watch dramas
3) the occasional Youtube video

However a few days ago, they forced us to use the latest version of Mewatch, there was an error n I cannot watch local channels live anymore.

I have been reading up, at first I was hoping that by buying a new box would solve my problem, but to my understanding it is not straightforward at all:

A) if I buy a new box with Android TV OS (Google certified)
I can use Google Cast (Chromecast built-in) to cast to my TV, from my Mewatch app on my phone, phone --> TV box --> TV
But I cannot use Viu anymore n I have to pay for Viu Premium to cast the same way as Mewatch.

B) if I buy a new box with Android OS (meaning phone OS)
I cannot do Google Cast, but I can still install Viu app n watch on TV for free without cast. To watch local channels, I have to replace my TV which I plan to do soon (as it is quite old).

May I know is there is a better option than the above 2? Please correct me if my understanding of Option A n B is wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

you can buy mibox s for chromecast. you can install many apps for watching drama/movies. there are many free apps available and you can watch korea/hk drama. not necessary to use viu

your "old" box is still working, you can continue to use it for viu. box with android 6 is not really an old box.

if your problem now is you can't watch mediacorp FTA channels, the easier way is to buy a dvb-t2 receiver, should be less than $25.

evo_vi

Reaction score
you can buy mibox s for chromecast. you can install many apps for watching drama/movies. there are many free apps available and you can watch korea/hk drama. not necessary to use viu

your "old" box is still working, you can continue to use it for viu. box with android 6 is not really an old box.

if your problem now is you can't watch mediacorp FTA channels, the easier way is to buy a dvb-t2 receiver, should be less than $25.

Thanks for your advice, Geogory.

Yes, my main problem is I can't watch Mediacorp channels due to new version of Mewatch. Your suggestion to get a DVB-T2 receiver makes sense, as I prefer not to get a new TV for now (may be moving house later this year).

micgoh

Reaction score
Hi I just ordered a Samsung Q60T. Is there any free apps I can download to watch movies and shows or I must buy mibox s?

I also saw someone posted the shopee $2+ antenna instead of the more expensive dvbt2 box. Is the antenna compatible for the Samsung q60t?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi I just ordered a Samsung Q60T. Is there any free apps I can download to watch movies and shows or I must buy mibox s?

I also saw someone posted the shopee $2+ antenna instead of the more expensive dvbt2 box. Is the antenna compatible for the Samsung q60t?

the tv has builtin dvb t2 receiver, so you just need to get an antenna. either a cheap $2 type or more expensive active antenna.

I suggest trying cheap antenna first. if the tv signal in your house is not strong enough, then you need active antenna. I recommend funke dsc550 or dsc 560.

samsung tv has some apps, if you want better apps, buy mibox s.

micgoh

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. May I check if this is the correct one for the cheap $2 type?

https://shopee.sg/product/12694316/1213977818?smtt=0.109970978-1611881633.9

the tv has builtin dvb t2 receiver, so you just need to get an antenna. either a cheap $2 type or more expensive active antenna.

I suggest trying cheap antenna first. if the tv signal in your house is not strong enough, then you need active antenna. I recommend funke dsc550 or dsc 560.

samsung tv has some apps, if you want better apps, buy mibox s.

rerear

Reaction score
how to get around the "Puffin TV Browser requires a subscription"? any other better browser?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not if it can be done? It's always nice to have options. I know some elderly people whom rather browse web on tv than on their mobiles.

we can use our toes to hold spoon, why not many people are doing it? it is nice to have options.

it is harder to browse web on tv compared to using handphone, tablet, notebook or desktop, especially for elderly.

google even remove their best browser - chrome , from the android tv playstore, to make sure that users of android tv have good experience using android tv.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.