Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using it for my android tv, not an android box. Taking into account the system apps which can't be remove there is only half of the 8gb left to install apps. I don't even play around with apps, and i generally try to avoid side-loading stuff. All i have on the internal storage are apps that i need like netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc.

Even 1gb isn't a lot these days, try to install a game and half of that is gone. I also have a mibox which didn't fill up that fast because of less system apps.

whether it is android tv or android box, it is similar (almost the same).

normally there is 5GB internal storage left , it is actually a lot of storage for installation of apps. I can install 50 apps easily.

if you are only using netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc, 5GB should be more than sufficient. you should check whether you have wrongly configure the apps if the space is not suffcient.

If you want to play android games, it is better to buy nvidia shield.

BiggieZee

Reaction score
So from the knowledge i learned, all downloads like movies, apks, game emulators etc shud use external storage n Internal storage only for apps?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So from the knowledge i learned, all downloads like movies, apks, game emulators etc shud use external storage n Internal storage only for apps?

Yes in general if you have a 8GB box or even 16GB box. Download contents should be put in external stroage like external HDD or NAS.

If you have a 32GB/64GB box then probably you can put some of the downloaded contents in the TV box.

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
whether it is android tv or android box, it is similar (almost the same).

normally there is 5GB internal storage left , it is actually a lot of storage for installation of apps. I can install 50 apps easily.

if you are only using netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc, 5GB should be more than sufficient. you should check whether you have wrongly configure the apps if the space is not suffcient.

If you want to play android games, it is better to buy nvidia shield.

You are spot on, i have about 4gb+ internal storage. Besides those standard streaming apps i also have a few others, so about 20+ apps or so. Anyway i did some cleaning up today and free up more space. It now says 1gb available to use. The tvbanywhere's cache alone is over 200mb, don't know what it is doing to take up so much space.

mdax23

Reaction score
Any easy to use movie/video manager or frontend app (except kodi) to organized the movies in your local drive to recommend?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are spot on, i have about 4gb+ internal storage. Besides those standard streaming apps i also have a few others, so about 20+ apps or so. Anyway i did some cleaning up today and free up more space. It now says 1gb available to use. The tvbanywhere's cache alone is over 200mb, don't know what it is doing to take up so much space.
install sdmaid and run once a month.

boonkang

Reaction score
Any easy to use movie/video manager or frontend app (except kodi) to organized the movies in your local drive to recommend?

Plex ??

Start at this link below:
https://www.plex.tv/your-media/
If above link not enough info (for you), Google / search more info on Plex on the Internet.

If you think Plex is what you're looking for -- download & try it.
(If Plex is not what you're looking for, then go Internet & search for something else.)

You already eliminate Kodi, so if Plex is not what you're looking for -- then you've to look for media front end / media management solution(s) other than both Kodi & Plex.. Haha..

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is new, but seems like MeWatch now has a native android tv app. No need to chromecast from phone liao.

mdax23

Reaction score
Plex ??

Start at this link below:
https://www.plex.tv/your-media/
If above link not enough info (for you), Google / search more info on Plex on the Internet.

If you think Plex is what you're looking for -- download & try it.
(If Plex is not what you're looking for, then go Internet & search for something else.)

You already eliminate Kodi, so if Plex is not what you're looking for -- then you've to look for media front end / media management solution(s) other than both Kodi & Plex.. Haha..
Thanks. Will try out Plex.

Kodi too heavyweight, will hang up the whole system. Prefer something lightweight.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is new, but seems like MeWatch now has a native android tv app. No need to chromecast from phone liao.
it is still buggy. e.g you can't go back to mewatch homepage after viewing movies in vod sections.

BiggieZee

Reaction score
I'd bought the shield pro n realised the graphic bit wash out on my Philips tv. Any recommendations or ways on how to adjust it? The tv model is philips 55put6103 with 4k hdr10

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my ublock TV box broke down. Any recommendations for a basic TV box so i can use my subscription wit MyIPTV4k? Thanks.

~sabaisabai~

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Need your expert advice. I was looking to get x96 mini tv box but many version. which one the latest and good?

- x96mini
- x96mini plus
- x96Q
- x96mini 5G

Or are they almost the same?? Thank you

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Need your expert advice. I was looking to get x96 mini tv box but many version. which one the latest and good?

- x96mini
- x96mini plus
- x96Q
- x96mini 5G

Or are they almost the same?? Thank you

It is better not to buy generic no brand boxes like X96. It is much better to buy branded quality box like Mi Box S.

Anyway, X96 Mini was my first TV box buy in early 2018. It is based on the low end Amlogic S905W CPU. It has thermal issues and I will avoid this box now in 2021.

X96Q is based on lower end H313 CPU. I will avoid this box.

X96 Mini Plus and X96 Mini 5G are based on newer generation S905W4 CPU. However the review is poor. So I will avoid them as well.
https://androidpctv.com/review-x96-mini-plus-opinion/

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just tried meWatch on my Mi Box S and it seems to work okay with live TV. I did not check VOD.

And Singtel Cast and Singtel TV GO are still working.

The reports in this forum say that Singtel Cast does not work with Google Chromecast 2020. That is kind of strange.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just tried meWatch on my Mi Box S and it seems to work okay with live TV. I did not check VOD.

And Singtel Cast and Singtel TV GO are still working.

The reports in this forum say that Singtel Cast does not work with Google Chromecast 2020. That is kind of strange.

both live and vod should be working well on mewatch app.

with this app, it is not necessary to buy dvd-t2 set top box for those people without dvd-t2 t2 ready tv.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.