Anyone use TD Ameritrade?

3dfxplayer

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
97
I only mentioned TD had 24/5 service and you miscorrected. Don't have to get mad over a small mistake. You can sugar coat it as ES lite or better CFD if you want, doesn't change the fact that the service has existed for 3 years now.

I'm not mad, just amused that you are making it sound like this "service" is legit or something that any decent trader would even consider using. No trader thats worth a dime will use something like this, theres just zero reason to use it, period.

There is no need to puff up the chest with egoistical claims of time spent trading or having connections. My dad has been trading for 30 years and he still sucks at it and every decent trader has access to multiple platforms and knows how balances their strengths and weaknesses.

Well I consider myself to be pretty successful at trading so I think I know what I'm talking about, whats your track record? Do you even trade? You have an awfully low post count for someone who joined in 2018, its interesting that a ton of those posts is just you shilling for TD. :s22:

And no its not necessary for a decent trader to have access to multiple platforms, I have one backup/alt platform (Lightspeed) and thats more than sufficient. TD is just a non-starter for the extortionate fees they are charging, low frictional cost is key to long term success, this is common knowledge.
Like I have said previous TD's strengths lie in the useability, effective charting/DD research and flat rates for big buys. Doesn't mean TD has to be the main brokerage but they have a great system to utilize that everyone can benefit from.

Nobody cares about these tools when its so costly, there are far cheaper ways to obtain those tools, futures/derivatives cost several times more on TD, and I can buy a million dollars worth of AMZN for less commission on IB so flat rates do not equate to lower cost for "big buys" on TD, its only cheaper if you are buying 50k shares of a low priced stock.
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2020
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Have read previous posts about IB and TDA but think I'll go with the latter for now, still learning and TDA's platform seems easier to grasp.

If anyone has a referral code to share, please PM me. Would be keen to split the referral credit. Thanks.
 

GeneralGaylord

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2018
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I'm not mad, just amused that you are making it sound like this "service" is legit or something that any decent trader would even consider using. No trader thats worth a dime will use something like this, theres just zero reason to use it, period.



Well I consider myself to be pretty successful at trading so I think I know what I'm talking about, whats your track record? Do you even trade? You have an awfully low post count for someone who joined in 2018, its interesting that a ton of those posts is just you shilling for TD. :s22:

And no its not necessary for a decent trader to have access to multiple platforms, I have one backup/alt platform (Lightspeed) and thats more than sufficient. TD is just a non-starter for the extortionate fees they are charging, low frictional cost is key to long term success, this is common knowledge.


Nobody cares about these tools when its so costly, there are far cheaper ways to obtain those tools, futures/derivatives cost several times more on TD, and I can buy a million dollars worth of AMZN for less commission on IB so flat rates do not equate to lower cost for "big buys" on TD, its only cheaper if you are buying 50k shares of a low priced stock.


This market is easy enough to trade, at least the previous weeks. I am several fold my initiate seed with my various brokers, heck even on TD i am up 30% and that account is new.

Personally, I mainly trade on tastyworks for options and ninjatrader for ES. My point for TD is their platform is valuable for DD, which you seem to plainly ignore.

I think everyone should try various platforms themselves and find what suits them best. TD itself offers pretty decent deals for just signing up and there is no downside to trying them and learning. The fact that you are hating so much on them is what is weird.
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2020
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Does live data on ToS only start showing up after you fund your TD account?

Am waiting for my account to be approved at the moment and realize the data I'm seeing on the live ToS platform is 20 mins delayed.
 

juanwj

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Got a question here. Recently got into daytrading and I find IBKR's interface not as optimal as TOS. Now with all these high commission fees and having to fund 3.5k inside, I'm just wondering if there's any other alternative?

Level 2 and charting are the top 2 functions I'm looking for.
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2020
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Got a question here. Recently got into daytrading and I find IBKR's interface not as optimal as TOS. Now with all these high commission fees and having to fund 3.5k inside, I'm just wondering if there's any other alternative?

Level 2 and charting are the top 2 functions I'm looking for.

Am looking to set up my TD account but it's taking forever.
What are you using for charting in the meantime?
 

DukeCS33

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2018
Messages
2,330
Reaction score
7
Got a question here. Recently got into daytrading and I find IBKR's interface not as optimal as TOS. Now with all these high commission fees and having to fund 3.5k inside, I'm just wondering if there's any other alternative?

Level 2 and charting are the top 2 functions I'm looking for.

I use TD for level 2 and charting but IBKR for trading. TD charges a flat rate so if you are doing size, maybe it may be more economical to use TD, otherwise use interactive.
 

3dfxplayer

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
97
This market is easy enough to trade, at least the previous weeks. I am several fold my initiate seed with my various brokers, heck even on TD i am up 30% and that account is new.

Personally, I mainly trade on tastyworks for options and ninjatrader for ES. My point for TD is their platform is valuable for DD, which you seem to plainly ignore.

I think everyone should try various platforms themselves and find what suits them best. TD itself offers pretty decent deals for just signing up and there is no downside to trying them and learning. The fact that you are hating so much on them is what is weird.

I don't "hate" them, I just can't think of any good reason to use them, like I said TD is really only good for trading penny stocks, its just hideously expensive for everything else, as someone who has made a very good living doing this FT for 15 years, I dare say nothing matters more than frictional cost for a trader, frictional cost is the single largest cost of running this business, it makes no sense to pay 5X more for the same thing, it will hurt you badly in the long run. TD has better tools and a more user friendly platform for sure, but its not worth 3-10x more, heck its not even worth 2x more. I can get those tools elsewhere without having to pay thru the nose for them.

Anyway I'm done with this thread, use whatever broker you like, I couldnt care less.
 

3dfxplayer

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
97
I use TD for level 2 and charting but IBKR for trading. TD charges a flat rate so if you are doing size, maybe it may be more economical to use TD, otherwise use interactive.

You are right if "size" refers to number of shares, otherwise its wrong.
 

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
12,241
Reaction score
948
my commission for ibkr this month is $300+ and counting

should switch over to TD instead?

is it because my wallet too big and buy many shares? im on volume tier leh, still so ex
 

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
12,241
Reaction score
948
I use TD for level 2 and charting but IBKR for trading. TD charges a flat rate so if you are doing size, maybe it may be more economical to use TD, otherwise use interactive.

if u do this, do u buy live market data for both?

if not, aint it scary to do market order on delayed price when u switch to ibkr?

tho the market data quite cheap for ibkr, idk how much it cost for TD?

is it ex?

tbh, quite a hassle leh, might lag out computer and lose few seconds where price can change fast unless large cap
 

Converged

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
5,588
Reaction score
382
Is there any fall below fees for tdameritrade

Posted from PCWX using Nokia 3310
 

slowmover

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
5,021
Reaction score
67
ibkr tier rate
<= 300,000 Shares USD 0.0035
300,001 - 3,000,000 Shares USD 0.002
3,000,001 - 20,000,000 Shares USD 0.0015

a 10k shares buy the comm will be around 35 for ibkr.
anything more than 3k shares its better to use tda if in tier 1.
 

Chong526

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Anyone know how to disable the TD authenticator ? I reinstall the app and is wont let me to login already. Any solution?
 

Converged

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
5,588
Reaction score
382
ibkr tier rate
<= 300,000 Shares USD 0.0035
300,001 - 3,000,000 Shares USD 0.002
3,000,001 - 20,000,000 Shares USD 0.0015

a 10k shares buy the comm will be around 35 for ibkr.
anything more than 3k shares its better to use tda if in tier 1.

Can share source?

Posted from PCWX using Nokia 3310
 

jkkkk7

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2014
Messages
141
Reaction score
1
Hi guys,

I am thinking of opening an account with TOS SG. Anybody wanna refer me and we split the referral fee?

Also, is there any tips/hacks to lower the commission fees to ~$5 for stocks and $1.50 for options?

Thanks!
 

Mr. Wood

Banned
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
26,961
Reaction score
5,127
Hi guys,

I am thinking of opening an account with TOS SG. Anybody wanna refer me and we split the referral fee?

Also, is there any tips/hacks to lower the commission fees to ~$5 for stocks and $1.50 for options?

Thanks!

I no referral link. even if I refer, they will only give some trades commissions free, which I will hardly use as I dun trade often. leave the referral fee to another bro /sis :D

but check yr pm. :D
 

pranave2

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I just opened a new account recently, but I noticed that I only received delayed date. I emailed them regarding this, and they stated that I would have to fund 1000USD before they could give me real time data.

Note, I have not funded my TD account before this, and my main reason for using TD Ameritrade is for their research and charting features. I plan to use IBKR for actual trading.

Anyone come across a similar situation before? How did you guys solve it? I am fairly certain that real time data can be gotten for free in TD Ameritrade, or at the very least, with funding of any small amount. Anyone can verify based on experience?
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top