Anyone use TD Ameritrade?

bluechill

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
481
Reaction score
2
hi, I will be registering with TDA for an account, if anyone wants to split the $88 referral can PM me. thanks!

goodbye tastyworks..
 

F1ngolf2012

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
676
0 commission means the platform be very bad for execution speed

Is anyone switching from ibkr to tos because of this? Anything to take note?
I signed up with TOS (before TDA acquisition) more than 10 years ago when they just started their Singapore office because of their best in class trading platform used by professional traders. Though I've not tried many platforms, I still believe they are one of the best around.
 

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
12,241
Reaction score
948
Not a valid assumption, TDA isn't Robinhood. I've used TDA for a couple of trades and they went through perfectly.

Well I would reserve judgement on that til august to see how much their server can handle

If too many ppl switch over and they can't handle the load, then it will be a problem

Heard they have this problem in the US for tos
 

fire001

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2012
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
Me too, i will sign up the account since zero commission, if anyone wants to split the $88 referral can PM me. thanks!
 

Mr. Wood

Banned
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
26,961
Reaction score
5,127
hav been using TOS then TD for a while thou not a frequent trader but their features suits me jus fine. will still be using TD with or without $0 commissions.
but moi concern is it was not too long ago they say $0 not for non-US resident. now why they policy shift and more importantly how they make money? :s22:
via increase bid/ask spread? via dividend handling?

and time for local brokers to step up their game and offerings. :D
 

richardelu

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2016
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, quick question here. I noticed that when I xfer money to IB, it stays in SGD, and when I buy a US stock, I am actually borrowing USD from IB (if i am not mistaken). However in my TD account, I bank xfer SGD in and I saw it auto converts to USD. Am I right to say that TD auto converts SGD to USD, whereas IB keep your deposit in SGD?
 

twkacc

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2016
Messages
43
Reaction score
9
Can i ask the best way to fund TD account with usd?

shuld i convert into usd first? or just use dbs sgd remit and let them convert to usd?


Also, any1 willing to share referral code!
 
Last edited:

F1ngolf2012

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
676
Well I would reserve judgement on that til august to see how much their server can handle

If too many ppl switch over and they can't handle the load, then it will be a problem

Heard they have this problem in the US for tos
A valid concern indeed. I would prefer to pay my current commission to avoid any compromise in order fulfilling and service level standard.

If US TOS is affected, wouldn't this also impact trade transaction outside US or are they using different server?
 

F1ngolf2012

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
676
Can i ask the best way to fund TD account with usd?

shuld i convert into usd first? or just use dbs sgd remit and let them convert to usd?


Also, any1 willing to share referral code!
Please check your PM. Thanks
 

F1ngolf2012

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
676
hav been using TOS then TD for a while thou not a frequent trader but their features suits me jus fine. will still be using TD with or without $0 commissions.
but moi concern is it was not too long ago they say $0 not for non-US resident. now why they policy shift and more importantly how they make money? :s22:
via increase bid/ask spread? via dividend handling?

and time for local brokers to step up their game and offerings. :D
Yup! TDA needs to make margin somewhere. I won't be surprised it would come from the bid/ask spread since this is also transaction based like commission.
 

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
12,241
Reaction score
948
may i ask those who used TD, are there any fees to shorting shares such as locate fees on both large cap and hard to borrow stocks for TD?

anything to note if coming from ibkr background?
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,206
Reaction score
2,669
I believe TD Ameritrade used to provide free market data, if you just funded your account. Now with zero fees and free market data, this becomes a compelling choice. I wonder will guys like Saxo up their game? They are now very expensive in comparison.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top