ANZ Optimum Card is really not as good as you think
First of all, it is not really a "cash rebate" card.
I perceive a "cash rebate" card should be giving you cash rebate automatically on a monthly basis.
ANZ Optimum card, on the other hand, gives you reward points, and you can only convert it manually to cash rebate when you accumulate $50 worth of so-called Optimum$.
Now, the down-side of this card:
1. category "Shopping" ONLY works for merchants in fashion industry. Pretty different from what we perceive "Shopping" is, huh.
2. The cash rebate is only earned per $10 spent. i.e. if you spend $39.90 in a transaction, only the first $30 counts.
3. The "category" you have chosen does NOT automatically roll-over, i.e. if you forget to submit a new category before the beginning of next quarter, you are screwed.
4. The total Optimum$ you can earn in a month is also rounded down. So if you spend hard and earned 0.9 Optimum$ in that month, sorry, you get nothing.
5. The maximum Optimum$ you can earn in EACH transaction is 30. So if you choose travel and think you can earn all 5% of your $1000 plane ticket to Europe, you are wrong. If you think you can earn all 5% of your new $2000 LV purse, you are wrong again. Capped at $30, end of story.
(if you are going to spend more than $600 in one transaction, ask the sales lady nicely to see if she lets you split the amount and swipe your Optimum card twice. I wonder if this would work)
Let's look at a somewhat extreme example:
If you spend this much in a month and you chose "Shopping" :
Popular book 19.90
Meal 28.00
Challenger 39.00
ezlink topup 30.00
Total $116.90
The Optimum$ you will get for each transaction above is 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.3.
Total Optimum$ = ZERO.
Remember? They round DOWN. And shopping in Challenger and Popular does not count as Shopping.
If you have used says Frank card for the above transaction, at least you would get about 40 cents back. Automatically and guaranteed.
And even if you spent a little more and earned a good 20 odd Optimum$, don't forget that you still need to get another 20+ Optimum$ to finally earn your cash rebate back.
Verdict: It will probably still be useful for those who spend a couple hundred per month in dining OR clothes shopping. But if you are looking for better cash rebate in Flight and Hotel you book online, Use OCBC Frank + BOC Shop! card instead. I do not do much groceries shopping, but I think there are better choices on the market, such as Citibank SMRT card or OCBC Plus Card.
On a side note, ANZ does not provide internet banking service for credit card users, nor is its Phone Banking any useful. I once tried to change my phone pin, and I gave up after 15 mins playing in the system.
I am cancelling my Optimum card as soon as I received and converted and spent its 88 Optimum$ welcome rewards.