Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

patcheon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
12,339
Reaction score
5
fs_rs1_29_sa_120_black_3-4.jpg


jin satki, now mountain bike also got upside down suspension fork liao motorcycle. FOr motorcycle, usually only performance/sports motorcycle then have.

Wonder how it performs for mountain bike? Theoretically, performance should be better.

Anybody here uses this?

I am not sure if this design allows mud to be easier sprayed onto the stanchions because it is much much lower than the traditional design and as a result getting scratch easier with the suspension movements? Or it doesn't matter as mud gets sprayed everywhere anyway.:s13::s13::s13:
 
Last edited:

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
I am not sure if this design allows mud to be easier sprayed onto the stanchions because it is much much lower than the traditional design and as a result getting scratch easier with the suspension movements? Or it doesn't matter as mud gets sprayed everywhere anyway.:s13::s13::s13:
From what I read its supposed to make the fork smoother especially for small bumps cuz of the upside down design. The oil can flow down due to gravity and keep the seals lubricated better so it sticks less.

But for normal rider like me I doubt I'll feel the difference.
Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

flame2000

Banned
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
19,713
Reaction score
1,552

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
60,917
Reaction score
18
fs_rs1_29_sa_120_black_3-4.jpg


jin satki, now mountain bike also got upside down suspension fork liao motorcycle. FOr motorcycle, usually only performance/sports motorcycle then have.

Wonder how it performs for mountain bike? Theoretically, performance should be better.

Anybody here uses this?

I think mtbs used to have these kind of forks in the late 90s or early to mid 2000s.. Maybe ask a trusted shop mechanic, or a few, what he thinks about these kind of forks. That way, you'll avoid being confused by marketing talk. :D
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,871
Reaction score
3,141
Quite a few looking to buy bikes. Actually i feel like selling my hardtail mtb then buy another bike, maybe roadbike or foldie

Road bike for speed, foldie for convenience. MTB for trails.

Have your pick.

Most of my cycling friends have at least two types of bikes. e.g. Brompton and road bike, MTB and foldie, or MTB and road bike.
 

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
Is it worth to spend $100 every year to maintain a $800 hardtail mtb?

Any recommendations for someone who is reliable in servicing at good rates? Better still if can provide free pickup / delivery.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
For me I just service myself by watching YouTube videos since its a cheap bike. Damage the components also not too expensive to replace. Nowadays with YouTube, it is easy to learn alot of things. Only those that require specialised tools then I go to lbs to do if needed. So far I haven't damaged any of the components that I have worked on.

As for the fork, I just change when needed. Since my first hardtail came with a cheapo suntour fork, I just by from taobao and change the fork regularly. The fork+shipping around $50 even if ship by air. Lol. Tested and it seems to be genuine and performs even better than the stock one since they got new model every year.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

Narukura

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2013
Messages
2,166
Reaction score
0

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
I think mtbs used to have these kind of forks in the late 90s or early to mid 2000s.. Maybe ask a trusted shop mechanic, or a few, what he thinks about these kind of forks. That way, you'll avoid being confused by marketing talk. :D

No lah I won't buy, too ex Liao and only 120mm travel max.

I'm aiming for fox factory 36 float 160mm rc2. Building up a Santa Cruz nomad 2016. Got it at a good deal in togoparts. $900 off retail price.
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
Is it worth to spend $100 every year to maintain a $800 hardtail mtb?

Any recommendations for someone who is reliable in servicing at good rates? Better still if can provide free pickup / delivery.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

if you wish to prolong the life of your bike, you should maintain it frequently, not once a year. so many DIY videos on youtube, you just need to get the tools for it.
 

movemanism

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
611
Reaction score
0
For me I just service myself by watching YouTube videos since its a cheap bike. Damage the components also not too expensive to replace. Nowadays with YouTube, it is easy to learn alot of things. Only those that require specialised tools then I go to lbs to do if needed. So far I haven't damaged any of the components that I have worked on.

As for the fork, I just change when needed. Since my first hardtail came with a cheapo suntour fork, I just by from taobao and change the fork regularly. The fork+shipping around $50 even if ship by air. Lol. Tested and it seems to be genuine and performs even better than the stock one since they got new model every year.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

Like 1.

I also service my bike DIY. I do have some special tools like bottom bracket tools in case I need to dismantle it. The most frequent service is only clean the bike after use and lubricate the moving parts once in awhile, that's all. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top