erwinrommel
High Supremacy Member
- Joined
- Sep 30, 2007
- Messages
- 27,870
- Reaction score
- 3,141
Hi guys, been reading this thread for quite a while...
I'm contemplating to get a foldie, only foldies due to space constraint...
My past bikes are of urata or lower quality and a current cheap foldie w disc brake from qoo10... I have experienced 2 of my cheap mtb stolen from my voideck...
Just wanna ask erwin and VD, if the 2.8k for brompton is justified? Given the quality and the convenience?
As of now I have no intention to commute with it. I want a foldie for weekly rides exploring, ride to meet up w friends and to be able to run errands w it, like going around neighbourhood, grocery shopping.
Just seeking opinions first![]()
Running errands with a bicycle?
If you really want an all rounder bicycle that is comfortable, go long distance, comfortable but doesn't fold as compact as a brompton, you can try birdy. It rides like a full sized bike. Make no mistake, it uses standard shimano parts and is fast. Easily 32-34kmh... I was struggling to catch up birdy bikes with my 451 wheel tern.
Personally 2.8k for a six speed brompton is somewhat expensive. Try look for second hand brompton. A two speed brompton should suffice if you don't intend to climb slopes. Brompton has a lot of accessories to put stuffs. Normally i have a front carrier bag and a rear rack to carry stuffs. People have toured around the world with brompton. The problem with brompton is that there are numerous proprietary parts, very awkward shifting and most bike mechanics will avoid servicing brompton. But it is super compact and it very portable (easily roll around; great for taking train).
Folded size is 58.5cm high x 56.5cm long x 27cm wide..
This is my brompton tucked under the small compact ikea galant table. I bought it secondhand from a fellow hwz forumner here for $1.2k (6 speed). Great bargain.
There are other contenders like the brompton clone (MIT cycle) and Ori bike. I have personally not ridden these two, so i can't really comment.
This is my 451 wheel tern inside the cupboard. Folded dimension size is about 38 x 82 x 72cm.
Last edited:

, commute to work a few times as well. I somewhat agree with erwin on the proprietary parts, but things have improved somewhat and there are many third party to choose from, so it is still upgradable to a certain extent. 

