CardUp (Do not post or ask for referral code)

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
7,735
Reaction score
1,327
Yeah so I’m surprised people are still talking more about squeezing cashback rather than getting miles.

coz cashback is more straight forward and can see the rebate straight on next statement...

i never use miles card b4, it seems rather confusing... :o
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
Yeah so I’m surprised people are still talking more about squeezing cashback rather than getting miles.

Miles might not be the best for everyone and if it is "free" money, why not?

I'm not charging everything I have and "waste" the extra 2.6% for 1.4 or even 2.4 mpd. But the cashback is more than the 2.6% which makes it free, especially if I cannot meet the cashback spending other than cardup.
 

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
7,735
Reaction score
1,327
Miles might not be the best for everyone and if it is "free" money, why not?

I'm not charging everything I have and "waste" the extra 2.6% for 1.4 or even 2.4 mpd. But the cashback is more than the 2.6% which makes it free, especially if I cannot meet the cashback spending other than cardup.

I called the UOB CSO to understand more about the PRIV miles credit card

local spend $5 = 3.5 uni dollars

8700 uni dollars = $100 cash rebate

so to get $100 cash rebates, i need to spend locally $12428.5 :eek: :s11:
 

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
7,340
Reaction score
427
Miles and cash rebates cater to different people.

For people who use miles or rewards points to convert it will seems lousy.

Miles card should stick with changing of business or first class air tickets

Cash rebates just stick with cash rebates

one should not use miles to see how much u can exchange for cash rebates.



The right comparison should be

U spend $100k assuming u got a 5% cash rebate card u will earn $5,000

Similarly if you spent $100k with DBS wmc u get 400k miles

400k miles allow u to have return tickets to London in SQ business class 2.35 times. If one return biz class ticket is 5k u get to get equivalent of $11,750. If u use UOB PV miles card with $100k spend would get u 240k miles. which is still 1.4x return ticket to London. Still beat the 5k cash rebate

For both scenarios assuming u spend it with the card monthly cap and not one time spending
 
Last edited:

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
7,340
Reaction score
427
For cardup I usually use cash rebate. I see no reason to pay 2.6% for miles. It is like buying miles which I think kinda lame..of course miles lover will bet to differ
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
I called the UOB CSO to understand more about the PRIV miles credit card

local spend $5 = 3.5 uni dollars

8700 uni dollars = $100 cash rebate

so to get $100 cash rebates, i need to spend locally $12428.5 :eek: :s11:

Sorry if I'm not clear, "free" in the sense for rebate cards offering > 2.6% rebates. Especially for payments that do not take credit cards and you'd have to pay for it anyway.

Anyway, this is a miles card and not a rebate card. If you're looking for rebates, then this is the wrong card for you. For a miles card, most people on this forum are fine paying for Citibank PM annual fee, $192.60 for 10k miles, which works out to $0.01926 per mile. So paying extra 2.6% for 2.4mpd works out to $0.010542 per mile, which works out better than the annual fee option.

For cardup I usually use cash rebate. I see no reason to pay 2.6% for miles. It is like buying miles which I think kinda lame..of course miles lover will bet to differ

As per above. Buying miles is fine, as long as the rate is sufficiently low, plus this doesn't consume much of your time. I've used to do mileage runs, which involves buying dirt cheap air tickets that gives miles, then actually flying the flight to get status miles plus redeemable miles, but changes to the program have deemed this not that feasible anymore. With double qualification miles promo, I can be gone (and flying) for one weekend and gain 30 to 40k elite qualification miles as well as redeemable miles.
 

yiron

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2003
Messages
25,111
Reaction score
2,446
For cardup I usually use cash rebate. I see no reason to pay 2.6% for miles. It is like buying miles which I think kinda lame..of course miles lover will bet to differ

Technically, if you factor in the opportunity cost of foregoing cashback by charging to miles card in general spending (e.g. dining, online), it's already akin to buying miles :) at the end of the day, it boils down to how much you value the miles. And miles are illiquid relative to cashback.
 
Last edited:

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
7,340
Reaction score
427
Sorry if I'm not clear, "free" in the sense for rebate cards offering > 2.6% rebates. Especially for payments that do not take credit cards and you'd have to pay for it anyway.

Anyway, this is a miles card and not a rebate card. If you're looking for rebates, then this is the wrong card for you. For a miles card, most people on this forum are fine paying for Citibank PM annual fee, $192.60 for 10k miles, which works out to $0.01926 per mile. So paying extra 2.6% for 2.4mpd works out to $0.010542 per mile, which works out better than the annual fee option.



As per above. Buying miles is fine, as long as the rate is sufficiently low, plus this doesn't consume much of your time. I've used to do mileage runs, which involves buying dirt cheap air tickets that gives miles, then actually flying the flight to get status miles plus redeemable miles, but changes to the program have deemed this not that feasible anymore. With double qualification miles promo, I can be gone (and flying) for one weekend and gain 30 to 40k elite qualification miles as well as redeemable miles.

Wah super effort. I will not do that since I am not a flight lover.

I will only do the miles if i have no other credit card rebates left. Since I still able to change biz class Tix every year I think I don't have to resort to that ba haha

Anyway different people got different liking.so no right and no wrong ba
 

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
7,340
Reaction score
427
Technically, if you factor in the opportunity cost of foregoing cashback by charging to miles card in general spending (e.g. dining, online), it's already akin to buying miles :) at the end of the day, it boils down to how much you value the miles. And miles are illiquid relative to cashback.

Yeah totally agree.. that's why I never use miles card on cardup
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
Wah super effort. I will not do that since I am not a flight lover.

I will only do the miles if i have no other credit card rebates left. Since I still able to change biz class Tix every year I think I don't have to resort to that ba haha

Anyway different people got different liking.so no right and no wrong ba

Yes, there's no right or wrong, just personal preference. Many will disagree with my personal value of $0.01 per mile, since they are paying the Citi PM miles annual for for slightly under $0.02 per mile.
 

Alwaysb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
979
Reaction score
6
Hi all, i read somewhere there's problem using this cardup to pay insurance. Is it true?
 

Alwaysb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
979
Reaction score
6
Mine is AIA. Will there be issue? I saw somewhere someone mentioned insurance company don't recognise because not pay by policy owner

Depends on insurer and type of insurance.
For example, currently CardUp can't pay to NTUC Income.
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
if you know your Insurer's Bank, and Bank Account number, you can add the payment manually, need policy number and amount as supporting for CardUp to process
 

vddgnd

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
25
Mine is AIA. Will there be issue? I saw somewhere someone mentioned insurance company don't recognise because not pay by policy owner

AIA is listed in CardUp list. fill the policy number and name in the Policy Number column when schedule payment.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top