China high speed rail

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,533
Reaction score
4,139
I put it down to the poor Chinese public service attitude. When I register myself at their police station, I get the same attitude. Nobody gives a sh*t about how their service is perceived. One gets to appreciate how public service is so much better here or even in Malaysia or Thailand.
My experience differs though, perhaps I am just lucky. 🤷‍♂️
And probably what @rrr2015 shared, the crowd level is too unbearable to speak nicely and politely.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,024
Reaction score
1,918
My experience differs though, perhaps I am just lucky. 🤷‍♂️
And probably what @rrr2015 shared, the crowd level is too unbearable to speak nicely and politely.

As I mentioned, I get the same treatment in a police station. That was in a small town, and in winter nothing much happens, and I did not interrupt anyone in their noon siesta. I had bad experiences in railway stations big and small, busy or quiet. Particularly galling was at a station when I tried to buy a ticket for the next train. The young staff could not figure out at her sales terminal how to go to the selection for foreign passenger and then "Singaporean". She swore in my face and repeated "zhen ma fan". Her senior came in and was similarly unfamiliar with her work, but at least she did not say anything unpleasant to me. Now that was a quiet station, and it was not my fault that they are untrained for their tasks?

Many local folks do not travel frequently. They procrastinate at the counter and ask simple mundane questions. The poor folks receive poor service as well, deservedly or not, and other people in the queue do not seem to mind the wait.
 

natas

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,241
Reaction score
531
My experience differs though, perhaps I am just lucky. 🤷‍♂️
And probably what @rrr2015 shared, the crowd level is too unbearable to speak nicely and politely.

How to smile n greet thousands a day? :D As long as they get the job done and I board the train. I dun bother whether they greet me with a smile n thank me.

If China is bad then try India. :D
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,533
Reaction score
4,139
As I mentioned, I get the same treatment in a police station. That was in a small town, and in winter nothing much happens, and I did not interrupt anyone in their noon siesta. I had bad experiences in railway stations big and small, busy or quiet. Particularly galling was at a station when I tried to buy a ticket for the next train. The young staff could not figure out at her sales terminal how to go to the selection for foreign passenger and then "Singaporean". She swore in my face and repeated "zhen ma fan". Her senior came in and was similarly unfamiliar with her work, but at least she did not say anything unpleasant to me. Now that was a quiet station, and it was not my fault that they are untrained for their tasks?

Many local folks do not travel frequently. They procrastinate at the counter and ask simple mundane questions. The poor folks receive poor service as well, deservedly or not, and other people in the queue do not seem to mind the wait.
Such experience would have annoyed me too. lol
Though I agree too that I do seen such atittude, but with those that are queue cutters or are not polite from the get go.
I noticed that they will be annoyed but fine thereafter, gotta be a little patient I guess.
How to smile n greet thousands a day? :D As long as they get the job done and I board the train. I dun bother whether they greet me with a smile n thank me.

If China is bad then try India. :D
Yes, same here.
Just do not step on my tail, and I will be fine. Not expecting excellent service, just required to get the job done.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,024
Reaction score
1,918
How to smile n greet thousands a day? :D As long as they get the job done and I board the train. I dun bother whether they greet me with a smile n thank me.

If China is bad then try India. :D
I recall in India, they were not rude to foreigners like me. I noticed at Delhi station there were staff like policemen yielding long rattan sticks which they would use to tap on people who were unruly in the queue. At the Taj Mahal too. LOL.
 

Innocuous*

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
559
Reaction score
262
Public service is relatively well-paying in the provinces and comes with official/unofficial perks. Not to mention their jobs are very secure. Yet these public "servants" lord over the masses with impunity.
Could be cultural difference. They probably got a lot of people that are 不打不行。It could be a necessary evil to manage these people. They might group 海外华侨together with local Chinese. The treatment for foreigners from other races could be different.

Likewise in India, there probably also exist 不打不行 locals, thus the unrespectful treatment to the unruly crowd. In your experience in India, the local policeman might also group overseas Indian together with local indian but treat foreigners of other races differently.
 
Last edited:

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,024
Reaction score
1,918
Could be cultural difference. They probably got a lot of people that are 不打不行。It could be a necessary evil to manage these people. They might group 海外华侨together with local Chinese. The treatment for foreigners from other races could be different.

Likewise in India, there probably also exist 不打不行 locals, thus the unrespectful treatment to the unruly crowd. In your experience in India, the local policeman might also group overseas Indian together with local indian but treat foreigners of other races differently.
There is some truth in your view.

1. It's like, if you don't bang table, you don't get things moving, as the silly Chinese woman thought in the SGH incident. The common people have to be disciplined else they do not understand order or "civilised" behaviour. They have to be brutalised to be civilised, like how some parents teach their kids. LOL.
2. Much to my dismay, there was an episode when I was considered to be a Chinese under 1 Chinese heaven, waiting to be "liberated". It was a dinner where as a guest I was to give a short speech at the table. The host gave a welcome speech about having me as part of a family in a strong and growing China. It was appropriate for me to also stand and thank the hosts and toast everyone. I went on about regarding everyone as part of a big family and sharing the same Chinese culture and kinship with my ancestral land. A bit too far perhaps, when I mentioned that I have some relatives who have sung at least 3 national anthems in their lifetimes (something LKY said before). The next thing, someone at the table quipped that there will be an end to it as China will recover all of these lands. Awkward to me, to speak the least.
 

natas

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,241
Reaction score
531
I recall in India, they were not rude to foreigners like me. I noticed at Delhi station there were staff like policemen yielding long rattan sticks which they would use to tap on people who were unruly in the queue. At the Taj Mahal too. LOL.

Culture, life different applies.... 'When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do'. U dun expect, lion dance, pom pom gers, or red carpet welcoming u to the train station. Why bother how u are treated? Again just as long as u are able to board the train, "who cares".....

In SG, even the cashier dun bother to "Greet n smile" but I am good with it. I won't go "nbzzz, I owe u money?" :D
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,533
Reaction score
4,139
For those of us who grew up in SG, bad customer service shouldn't be too much of a shocker.
There's always been calls to provide better service in SG but never really improved. lol :ROFLMAO:
With China's culture, I think its even harder to have great service for public facing positions.
 

Innocuous*

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
559
Reaction score
262
But china f&b customer service is crazy good I feel. Sg charge you 10% but the service is non existence
Many service staff in SG comes from Msia, China and the Philippines. Normally the better performing will do well in their own country while the non-performing ones who could not compete with the better performing ones would go overseas to seek better opportunities.

Maybe thats why we see Msian and PRC have better service in their own countries than when they work in SG. Not sure about the Philippines as I have never been there.
 
Last edited:

16/8IF

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2023
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,259
Useful to show everyone here how HK people can register accounts.
I think need to treat HK people differently from the rest of the world since the Greater Bay Area consist of HK, Macau and Guangdong region. Furthermore I think China classified , HK, Taiwan and Macau as one group different from the rest of the world ?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,024
Reaction score
1,918
I think need to treat HK people differently from the rest of the world since the Greater Bay Area consist of HK, Macau and Guangdong region. Furthermore I think China classified , HK, Taiwan and Macau as one group different from the rest of the world ?
Exactly. The post does not help us. HK ID number and contact number are considered verifiable.
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,454
Reaction score
342
Hi, I am bringing a 3 year old kid for my upcoming trip. Planning to take 1 x HSR (G) and 1 x night train (D).
I read that children under 6 can take the train for free if the kid does not occupy own seat/bunk. Has anyone actually tried this? Tried to seach on youtube but the vlogs i see for train travel are all for adults.

Do I just turn up at the station with my kid and they will let me in?

Should I choose to buy a ticket for the child, is it possible to do so? I suppose i can try to buy a child ticket and see if it can be used for the 3 year old to get an additional bunk.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top