(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

chromeIT

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
26
thanks. I did consider Anna previously too. it looks nice and simple. I tot I lower my budget to get a sleek Breville else Silvia. But now have to spend 1k (775 EUR) if I want to get ProfitecGo - the blue dial looks nice.

I using a Taobao bought grinder. which I think works. So probably I should get a machine to replace my Dedica.

So what machine do you use?
I have niche zero and Rancilio Silvia Pro X (Incoming)

I seriously doubt your taobao grinder is going to cut it for unpressurized basket. Maybe it might be drinkable if you do a darker roast and pressurized basket. The notion is that grinder $$$$ machine $$

Being a dumbass myself, i never tasted espresso before. It was always a milk-based or long black kind and i never drank raw straight out of the machine espresso. Only then I realised how I was missing out HAHAHA

If your budget now is Silvia range, Anna is probably the easiest to get into this hobby. But with a little bit of hassle you can get a set deal from ESP that has grinder + espresso RANCILIO SILVIA V6 + EUREKA MINGNON MANUALE SET @ 641 euro. Making the grinder only 100euro more. Eureka Manule is very capable grinder albeit the dial control and slightly more than average exchange ground. Always remember to request for discount code on ESP.
 
Last edited:

linusz

Master Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
3,031
Reaction score
107
I have niche zero and Rancilio Silvia Pro X (Incoming)

I seriously doubt your taobao grinder is going to cut it for unpressurized basket. Maybe it might be drinkable if you do a darker roast and pressurized basket. The notion is that grinder $$$$ machine $$

Being a dumbass myself, i never tasted espresso before. It was always a milk-based or long black kind and i never drank raw straight out of the machine espresso. Only then I realised how I was missing out HAHAHA

If your budget now is Silvia range, Anna is probably the easiest to get into this hobby. But with a little bit of hassle you can get a set deal from ESP that has grinder + espresso RANCILIO SILVIA V6 + EUREKA MINGNON MANUALE SET @ 641 euro. Making the grinder only 100euro more. Eureka Manule is very capable grinder albeit the dial control and slightly more than average exchange ground. Always remember to request for discount code on ESP.
thanks. ha appreciate it.

I was thinking I want to upgrade the grinder.
I saw manual then tot I want specialita

then the dedica can't make good milk
so I tot I get breville then ur suggestion of profitec go - which I am fairly convinced its better. so that will be about 1100 sgd.

ESP got 10% for eureka grinder. no set with profitec

so thinking I get grinder or machine first (think I sell my dedica - where best to sell? )
else I splurge on both.

ur outlay should be 2k I suppose
 

chromeIT

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
26
so thinking I get grinder or machine first (think I sell my dedica - where best to sell? )
else I splurge on both.
If your are confident that you can sell your device then just buy it at one go to save on the shipping cost. Carousel will be your best bet, sold my grinder there too. You will be surprised at how many coffee hobbyist are over there.

ur outlay should be 2k I suppose
Its actually less than that, just shy of 2k and should be here tmr! ESP is amazing, they shipped 2 hours after my order I placed (evening).
 

zyklon86

Banned
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
5,612
Reaction score
3,834
For espressocoffeeshop, you need to try adding to cart and check the shipping fee. Sometimes it cost more to ship machine and grinder together. Note fedex charge $21 for gst handling, per order. Then there is also credit card 3.2% foreign transaction fee. Use trust card to siam that.

If you make large milk drink, try getting heat exchanger for the steam consistency.

If you intent to buy accessories, definitely get 58mm. Otherwise, other sizes make the same coffee.
 

compuser

Banned
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
4,494
Reaction score
1,646
I remember someone sent back to Italy and it cost him nearly $1k shipping or something.
Espresso machines are like cars, you will need maintenance eventually, no matter how well you thought you kept it maintained. The gaskets in the machine will eventually harden and malfunction.

If you are doing milk drinks, a heat exchanger with a large boiler is your best bet. Heat exchanger boiler concept still maintains at using one big boiler, it's a boiler in a boiler design. Only one heating element and set of sensors are required. Fewer points of failure compared to double boilers. :o
 

chromeIT

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
26
A tip for shipping back to the manufacturer, you can try your luck and request to use their business/cooperate account to issue you the prepaid label then issue you a invoice. It will be much cheaper than shipping it yourself.

Additionally, over at home barista, many recommend using Dr. Pavlis water receipt which removes the need for scaling.

Do note that heat exchanger machines tend to superheat water resulting in super hot water (flashpoint). Cooling flush is always needed and temperature control tends to be in the +-1+-2 range as the heating element is controlling the steam boiler. Mara X does a good job in this department! Do be aware of the longer heating time similarly to a E61 due to the bigger boiler.

Also note that HX is a more complex machine compared to DB but with fewer parts.
 

woodlander

Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
119
Reaction score
1
for a beginner but enjoying different coffee person, will Breville Barista Express BE870 good enough? I read and watch some review, this model low breakdown rate and good to use.
:)
 

chromeIT

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
26
for a beginner but enjoying different coffee person, will Breville Barista Express BE870 good enough? I read and watch some review, this model low breakdown rate and good to use.
:)
Yes enough, get a WDT to solve the clumping issue. Good luck on reparability and cleaning.
 

chromeIT

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
26
Just an update on my ESP silvia pro x for those interested.

The package comes from UPS, took about 2.5 days. Item was double-boxed and well packed.

However, noticed some problem out of the box. See below pictures for reference.
Before:

After:


Followed clive's coffee guide on the teardown and identified the problem.

Happy buy :)
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Different class?

25kg vs 18kg
A 100 years old brand versus a 10-15 years?

This infatuation for PID reminds me of something when I was at SIGEP in Rimini. There was this interesting event where they let trained professionals test coffee with slight difference in temperature. Even WBC barista champions couldn't accurately identify the difference.

In the end, most of the guests somehow concludes that flow rate > pressure > temperature(few degree variation) in terms of influencing the taste of the coffee. I think many home baristas take the process too hard.
 
Last edited:

compuser

Banned
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
4,494
Reaction score
1,646
If judge solely by function and price, the best deals are in China liao.
Triple PID, triple boiler at less than $800 also have! :o

Can also find hundreds of listings of cheap lelits in Taobao. :o
 
Last edited:

chromeIT

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
101
Reaction score
26
Saw Fine Coffee Company adjusted the full fledge E61 Magica/Mitica selling at $1799/$1899.
Good deal leh, don't know last for how long.
But why though? I had a long and hard debate for a few days selecting many different HXs and DBs at $2000 price range and ultimately ended up with DBs. Primarily for its temperature stability and rather simpler design especially useful during eventual troubleshooting in the future.

I believe HX exist to bridge the gap of E61 type dual machine which not typically designed for home-barista uses. The main selling point primarily is the price compared to more expensive DB. Coming to 2023, DB prices have dropped, E61 group head is getting more and more dated. Moving forward, thermoblock machine like the Ascaso Steel Duo should set the stone for a fast and efficient setup.
 
Last edited:

compuser

Banned
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
4,494
Reaction score
1,646
I used to own brewtus DB.
Now Bezzera BZ10.

Before start up 1 hour.
Now, 15 minutes. :s13:

The 2 heating elements fried on my brewtus and no point repairing anymore. :(
 

zyklon86

Banned
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
5,612
Reaction score
3,834
Different class?

25kg vs 18kg
A 100 years old brand versus a 10-15 years?

This infatuation for PID reminds me of something when I was at SIGEP in Rimini. There was this interesting event where they let trained professionals test coffee with slight difference in temperature. Even WBC barista champions couldn't accurately identify the difference.

In the end, most of the guests somehow concludes that flow rate > pressure > temperature(few degree variation) in terms of influencing the taste of the coffee. I think many home baristas take the process too hard.

Lol, judge espresso machine by weight and brand age. Kum gong buy decent de1 which is super light weight right?

Like that might as well buy la spaziale, 28kg for $1900, dual boiler. One technician assembles one machine from start to finish for la spaziale.

PID is for temp consistency. If no use, you won't see your bezzera selling magica pid.
 

zyklon86

Banned
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
5,612
Reaction score
3,834
If judge solely by function and price, the best deals are in China liao.
Triple PID, triple boiler at less than $800 also have! :o

Can also find hundreds of listings of cheap lelits in Taobao. :o

Some Chinese machine actually uses the same components as Italian machines.

These espresso machine manufacturers are just assembling off the shelf parts, like the solenoids and of course, the super common ulka pump.

Cannot judge by price, need to judge by scace.

Btw, lelit is made in Italy, just dealer mark up in Singapore. In Italy, can get the machine for 30% cheaper than in Singapore. Same for Bezzera, in Europe also very cheap if you ask them to DHL for you.
 
Last edited:

zyklon86

Banned
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
5,612
Reaction score
3,834
But why though? I had a long and hard debate for a few days selecting many different HXs and DBs at $2000 price range and ultimately ended up with DBs. Primarily for its temperature stability and rather simpler design especially useful during eventual troubleshooting in the future.

I believe HX exist to bridge the gap of E61 type dual machine which not typically designed for home-barista uses. The main selling point primarily is the price compared to more expensive DB. Coming to 2023, DB prices have dropped, E61 group head is getting more and more dated. Moving forward, thermoblock machine like the Ascaso Steel Duo should set the stone for a fast and efficient setup.

The drop is just back to pre COVID pricing.

I was eyeing bezzera magical pid or ecm for a long time. Bezzera price was more competitive.

During covid, many people buy machine and out of stock, then they hiked the price, end up not so competitive anymore.

In the end, I bought another machine, directly from Italy. Got risk, but also saved a lot. Was ok to take the risk as these machines are super easy to repair.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top