(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,802
I tried with pan roasting, seem to work.



Taste actually quite decent. :s13:
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
May try roasting since price of roaster is coming down. The nesco one is like usd$140. Still hope to find something in usd$100.

Popcorn air popper cheap but not easy to find right unit. Those right cost like usd$80 used!

Aliexpress sell those Pan roaster at usd$100, too bad I am in states. Those 110v cost usd$200+

I am fearful of over roasting as I love city roast usually, maybe city plus.

maybe try this? hard to decide
HTB1ZOz4LFXXXXbUXXXXq6xXFXXX0.jpg
 
Last edited:

reactan

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Silvia PID kits

Has anyone here installed a PID kit for their Rancilio Silvia? Any recommendations as to which kit to get?
 

mirage86

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
I tried with pan roasting, seem to work.

Taste actually quite decent. :s13:

Old school manual roasting is very fun actually, can see how the green bean changes over time. I have this little contraption which lets me roast about 30-40g over a portable gas burner:
2rqzga1.png


Only problem is it takes a lot of time and effort to roast enough to last a week's consumption :(
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Old school manual roasting is very fun actually, can see how the green bean changes over time. I have this little contraption which lets me roast about 30-40g over a portable gas burner:
2rqzga1.png


Only problem is it takes a lot of time and effort to roast enough to last a week's consumption :(

I love the idea of old school, but the cage will be extremely hot to touch to remove the beans.
30-40g is a pain.. I already think a capacity of 140gm is a pain. :D
 

wusong0901

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
I modded a popcorn maker to roast, inspired by one of the bro in this thread.

Things were done to the popcorn maker:
- Separated the fan and heater circuit so I can control the heater by switching it on/off
- I found it too troublesome and not so easy to control the temp. I built a "lunch box" controller so I can precisely control the wattage of the fan and the heater.
- I felt the "lunch box" control was still a bit tiring to tweak when I have to roast 2-3 batches in a row. I hooked it up with laptop via the TC4C board. Now I can log the graph using Artisan software. Best thing is the roast is now hands-free since I can use the PID function in Artisan to control the roast following a background profile.

Took me a few weekends and a bunch of research to do this (I have no electrical background).

The only limitation I feel now is the batch size, it can do only 150g max/batch due to the heater power.

Cuql3YG.jpg

SzSKgoQ.jpg

H0nu8PN.jpg

j7OhqaR.jpg
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
impressive some serious mod you have here.
Alot of newer air popcorn in the states is under 1200W and alot of ppl reported issues getting it to 2nd crack.

here can easily get something like this. no much review on those.. no idea who these perform
1pcs-free-DHL-SCR-301-Coffee-Roasters-2016-new-listing-manufacturers-wholesale-household-durable-coffee-bean.jpg_640x640.jpg
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,802
If you direct flame it, it will be more inconsistent and higher chance of getting your coffee burnt.

If you want an even shade, just slow roast it like cooking scrambled eggs.
Flavours are more pronounce and complex, in fact I think they are very good. Don't lose to roasted by professional roasting machines. Slow roast is a technique used by roasters.

I'm in touch with this German guy who works for this gourmet roasting company. He told me that if the roast is not even when frying in a pan, the beans of different colors and shades can create a spectrum of flavours which is not necessary a bad thing. His company is using a drum roaster designed and made by themselves, I think it's not rocket science and doable.

The only thing challenging is getting consistency with the pan fry or direct flame method, which can still be mustered with experience.
Remember to be in a well ventilated area or use a fan and blow it out of the window, and better wear a mask.

I also realised that Breadtalk is using Lorin and those kopitiam suppliers are also using probat.
 

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Which machine to get?

Hey gurus,

I'm on the look out for a small single boiler espresso machine. I only drink black so won't bother with the steam wand and stuff… I will only pull about 1 or 2 espressos at a time.

Been looking at Miss Silvia or the Bezzera BZ09 so far...

Any tips, advice or lobangs much appreciated! :s13:
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hey gurus,

I'm on the look out for a small single boiler espresso machine. I only drink black so won't bother with the steam wand and stuff… I will only pull about 1 or 2 espressos at a time.

Been looking at Miss Silvia or the Bezzera BZ09 so far...

Any tips, advice or lobangs much appreciated! :s13:


whats your budget? Rancilio and Bezzera price pretty wide apart iirc.
even U drink espresso U still need a grinder. U have one?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,802
I think there's alot of people trying to dump their single boilers in the second hand market.

I'll put the Bezzera Unica which has a PID in the consideration list too. Many upgrade their Silvia with PID which cost few hundred bucks to stabilise it due to its small boiler and high fluctuation. Besides stabilising, of course you can control the temperature.
 

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
whats your budget? Rancilio and Bezzera price pretty wide apart iirc.
even U drink espresso U still need a grinder. U have one?

Yes I have a grinder. Nothing fancy but gets the job done consistently. Only problem is with the steps which I then compensate with more/less powder depending.... May get a compatible grinder with the machine that I eventually purchase too...

My budget is up to a Bezzera level kinda price of course value for money is important too. I intend for this to be a 10 year investment... :s13:


I think there's alot of people trying to dump their single boilers in the second hand market.

I'll put the Bezzera Unica which has a PID in the consideration list too. Many upgrade their Silvia with PID which cost few hundred bucks to stabilise it due to its small boiler and high fluctuation. Besides stabilising, of course you can control the temperature.

Any idea how long it takes for an E61 to get up to temperature? As in actual real time and not what is stated in the brochure.

It is usually a mad rush in the mornings so may not have the luxury to wait 45minutes for the machine to get ready....
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,802
45mins is for double boilers or big boilers bro.

I don't know, give or take 15 mins should be around there to heat up nicely for such 500ml boiler.

You mentioned consistency, then the bigger boiler and pid should help. Seeing some numbers on the PID may give some confidence too.
Silvia's 300ml imo is probably just on the line to flush and make 2 cups then 5 x backflush for cleaning.
 

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
45mins is for double boilers or big boilers bro.

I don't know, give or take 15 mins should be around there to heat up nicely for such 500ml boiler.

You mentioned consistency, then the bigger boiler and pid should help. Seeing some numbers on the PID may give some confidence too.
Silvia's 300ml imo is probably just on the line to flush and make 2 cups then 5 x backflush for cleaning.

Yes there's also the thing with boiler size... I do 1 espresso (2 if I mess up the first one) so a bigger boiler means water left in it gets reheated the next day... Not sure if that is a good thing..
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,802
If the boiler is Copper, Copper has antimicrobial properties to kill the tiniest virus. Why will you worry unless you are copper sensitive. Copper is found even in plants and part of diet. Used in hospitals air and water pipes.

Those double boilers reboil the same water forever, even worse.
At least heat exchanger use fresher water.

I will worry more about the plastic(BPA or not) leeching used in food packaging than this.
Or worry about leeching from aluminium or brass, and infestation in stainless steel vessels than this.
 

shdwkillr

Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
162
Reaction score
1
Got myself a Rocket Appartamento during the June coffee festival and currently on a non-stop daily practice of espresso making. I don't think I own a decent grinder for espresso based drink, as I am currently rocking on a Baratza Virtuoso. I am currently on a lookout of a decent grinder that can go well with my entry-level Appartamento. Anyone can recommend me a good grinder that is suitable for house use, but hopefully does not take up much space (that's one of the reasons I go with the Appartamento, due to space constraint.), and hopefully with minimal powder retention.

Thanks first. :)
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Got myself a Rocket Appartamento during the June coffee festival and currently on a non-stop daily practice of espresso making. I don't think I own a decent grinder for espresso based drink, as I am currently rocking on a Baratza Virtuoso. I am currently on a lookout of a decent grinder that can go well with my entry-level Appartamento. Anyone can recommend me a good grinder that is suitable for house use, but hopefully does not take up much space (that's one of the reasons I go with the Appartamento, due to space constraint.), and hopefully with minimal powder retention.

Thanks first. :)

perhaps a sette?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top