(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
True can't expect much from $6/250g beans
Buying cheap beans to calibrate the grinder

Cheap doesn't mean not fresh, green beans prices not so high.
Roaster buy green roast and sell u, the markup easily 3-5x of cost
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
15,778
Ya true.

I'm thinking of asking my maid , my idling staffs or office pantry auntie to do the roasting. I use up 2 to 3kg a week.

Which roaster is suitable?
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Coffee is always lucrative.

If you get from source, typically USD4/kg. At some locations, it's as low as US$2.50 per kg

It's a lot more expensive in Australia due to the stringent regulations.
For Singapore, I can see that the margins are pretty thick.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Ya true.

I'm thinking of asking my maid , my idling staffs or office pantry auntie to do the roasting. I use up 2 to 3kg a week.

Which roaster is suitable?

U need something that you can roast at least 1kg each batch.
Cheap Roaster usually need a good hr or 2 to cool down between roast.

I suggest u look at taobao cause mine 110v. I didn't do deep research into these seller or machine
I.e.
http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=19961223870&_from=tw_item&spm=a312a.7929968.0.0.u5f3kW
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Receive my shipment of greens 8lb sample for $65 from eBay

- Brazil
- Colombia Supremo 17/18
- Sumatra Mandheling
- Ethiopia Sidama natural process
- Tanzania peaberry
- Guatemala Coban Finca
- Honduras
- Nicaragua Jinotega
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Saw a pop-up store at Tangs. How is Hook Coffee? Packaging and flavor profiles look nice but havent do any tasting yet.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
hook is not so bad bah. certain blend they have is appealing to me. but they simply have too many choices. quality kinda dropped.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,275
Reaction score
209
After 2 bags of IKEA beans I still haven't got the grind right
Very wet puck caused by tight tamping or too fine grinds
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
15,778
Wet puck don't matter, you are not going to eat it anyway. :o
Use more powder and it will come out like a cookie. :)

I din't even bother with all the techniques of tamping and never had problem. Just make sure it's even and firm enough to empty the pockets of air. :)
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Tester, as you have both BZ13 and Strega. Is it correct to say that the Strega shots feel much fuller with more body compared to BZ13 which can be bright and more "acidic". Perhaps another way to describe is Strega gives you more dark chocolatey taste?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
After 2 bags of IKEA beans I still haven't got the grind right
Very wet puck caused by tight tamping or too fine grinds

What wrong with your shots? Too fast or slow? Uneven distribution?

Wet puck is fine.
Don't add in too much grounds to eliminate wet puck issue. Or else u will fracture the puck when u lock in.
Add enough based on your basket rating.

Try these parameters if u are using stock baskets.
15g dose. 30g brew yield in 30 secs. Maintain this. Vary only the grind size to achieve the set parameters.

Check to see if you add too much grounds and fracture the puck. Lock in the portafilter and then lock it out and examine the puck to see if the shower screen scrapes the puck when u lock in.

Use WDT so that you elimiate distribution problems.

New large grinders have a seasoning period. My HG one took some time to season due to the large burrs. I think a m80 burrs are large commercial class ones too.

Get some good beans now. I guess u have had enough Practise. Old beans can be watery with no crema.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
15,778
Tester, as you have both BZ13 and Strega. Is it correct to say that the Strega shots feel much fuller with more body compared to BZ13 which can be bright and more "acidic". Perhaps another way to describe is Strega gives you more dark chocolatey taste?
Can't compare fairly since I'm using Strega with the smaller BB005 grinder at home and using BZ13 and the bigger Quamar M80E for the office.

I bought a few bags of beans from cafes using those big expensive $30000 pressure profiling espresso machines before and I think the Strega can produce the same taste better than the BZ13.

Strega no need to do backflushing for cleaning =:p
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Can't compare fairly since I'm using Strega with the smaller BB005 grinder at home and using BZ13 and the bigger Quamar M80E for the office.

I bought a few bags of beans from cafes using those big expensive $30000 pressure profiling espresso machines before and I think the Strega can produce the same taste better than the BZ13.

Strega no need to do backflushing for cleaning =:p

Yea, a bit tough to compare that way. Problem with Strega is always the space issue but if I am forking out 2k, I might as well go all the way.

You mentioned BZ13 has more clarity. Does it mean more acidic?

Actually my goal is to match the taste profile in those espresso cafes in Italy. Most of the time I drink double shot with a bit of milk.
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
15,778
Yea, a bit tough to compare that way. Problem with Strega is always the space issue but if I am forking out 2k, I might as well go all the way.

You mentioned BZ13 has more clarity. Does it mean more acidic?

Actually my goal is to match the taste profile in those espresso cafes in Italy. Most of the time I drink double shot with a bit of milk.
What I mentioned was the BZ13's clarity was slightly clearer than the E61 I was trying before my purchase. :o

The Strega is much clearer than both, that's why I got it later for my personal use. :)
It is not necessarily more sour, it's a bit hard to describe, the flavours just taste wider in a positive way.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
What I mentioned was the BZ13's clarity was slightly clearer than the E61 I was trying before my purchase. :o

The Strega is much clearer than both, that's why I got it later for my personal use. :)
It is not necessarily more sour, it's a bit hard to describe, the flavours just taste wider in a positive way.

So in terms of clarity/brighter

Strega > BZ13 > Magica/E61?

Wider taste means your taste buds could sense different notes once the coffee lingers in your mouth? I've tasted a few times like that before at one of hte cafes here. Can't remember which ones.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
15,778
Ya, there are actually many ways to play with the Strega. By default user instruction, releasing the spring upon the first drip, is already very good. :)

You can also do things like releasing the spring earlier, release later, hold back the pressure, etc. That can transform the profile quite vastly. :o
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Ya, there are actually many ways to play with the Strega. By default user instruction, releasing the spring upon the first drip, is already very good. :)

You can also do things like releasing the spring earlier, release later, hold back the pressure, etc. That can transform the profile quite vastly. :o

Thanks. Strega is built like a tank and consumes space like one too.

Any comments on the smaller Elektra Micro Casa? Looks really good too.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top