(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,063
Reaction score
14,822
whenever you guys buy new beans, how do you get the recipe /brew ratio for the beans ?
do you guys usually trial and error ?
just feel bit of wastage this way as usually first few cups would be thrown away.
waste 就 waste, 没有办法的

usually just dose 18g because my portafilter basket is 18g

just try to hit 36g yield in 30s then adjust from there

too sour? grind finer a bit

too bitter? grind coarser a bit

taste ok? don't change anything
 

mamboeidos

Banned
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
17,393
Reaction score
527
dunno y sometimes i grind fine till extract takes 2 mins for 36g while trying to dial in also sour leh....
 

hardwaregone

Banned
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
11,582
Reaction score
2,846
If your extraction can't finish in 30 seconds, that already sounds like a problem.
2 minutes, must be over extracted till the notes are razor sharp and super unpleasant.

Lighter roast are sour, just go for those italian darker roasts.
A darker roast that retains some acidic and fruitiness is well done in my opinion. :o
 

wira

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2000
Messages
5,771
Reaction score
770
any recommendation for cheap and good coffee beans for beginner since going to be doing lots of trial and error and no point getting expensive beans
 

potato13

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
1,279

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,063
Reaction score
14,822
dunno y sometimes i grind fine till extract takes 2 mins for 36g while trying to dial in also sour leh....
120 seconds for 36g like too excessive already

can try grinding coarser and see how the taste is like
 

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,063
Reaction score
14,822
any recommendation for cheap and good coffee beans for beginner since going to be doing lots of trial and error and no point getting expensive beans
tiagong redman/phoon huat beans are quite decent
 

mamboeidos

Banned
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
17,393
Reaction score
527
why i got 2min was becos i am using J-max hand grinder and for espresso they say 120 clicks.....

I tried 125 clicks tool 55 sec....maybe need to go to 130 clicks instead of 120 clicks
 

hardwaregone

Banned
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
11,582
Reaction score
2,846
Their website say italy roasted wor, I read it as roasted in italy, not Italian roast.

Like that fresh meh?

I've been buying different beans in the office and the staff especially the expats still prefer this.

I never had a problem. Crema is nice for the dark roast, no oily beans. Those flowery fruity or honey notes which normally deteriorate the soonest from oxidation are all there.
So what should I be concerned about?

I had more problems with some of the local roasters over consistency. :o
 

wira

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2000
Messages
5,771
Reaction score
770
I've been buying different beans in the office and the staff especially the expats still prefer this.

I never had a problem. Crema is nice for the dark roast, no oily beans. Those flowery fruity or honey notes which normally deteriorate the soonest from oxidation are all there.
So what should I be concerned about?

I had more problems with some of the local roasters over consistency. :o
usually whats the roast date when you purchase it ? like how long since the roast date will it be delivered to you ?
 

hardwaregone

Banned
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
11,582
Reaction score
2,846
usually whats the roast date when you purchase it ? like how long since the roast date will it be delivered to you ?
It only has a best before date.
I no longer chase roast dates with them and I don't think it matters.

Last CNY I found a more than 1 yr old 1kg bag that some fellow chucked behind some Maggi mee in the pantry. Can't find any key difference besides a new batch. :o

My days of chasing all those intelligentsia, Fika Fika, and whatever coffee are over. :o
I think the best nordic roast I had was Fika Fika from Taiwan, but being S$50+ for a 450g pack and most casual drinkers tell me it's just so so, so why waste money and time. :(
 

zyklon86

Banned
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
5,599
Reaction score
3,828
I've been buying different beans in the office and the staff especially the expats still prefer this.

I never had a problem. Crema is nice for the dark roast, no oily beans. Those flowery fruity or honey notes which normally deteriorate the soonest from oxidation are all there.
So what should I be concerned about?

I had more problems with some of the local roasters over consistency. :o

"Expats still prefer this"

Lol. My expats colleagues love Jura and nespresso.

I can tell difference in fresh, 1wk, 1mth beans. Most people can just by looking at the pull.

I find the established local roasters quite consistent. Either consistently good or consistently bad. Some of the online ones...I don't even know if they are mislabeling their beans.
 
Last edited:

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Established brands like Fourty Hands are closing down though.

You can't really tell how good is a shot by looking at the shot.
Back then when I was working with this cafe in the states, working alongside with WBC, we used fresh roast solely for photoshoot. We would wait till it degas a certain number of days else it could get really flat. We always stir the espresso and taste the shot before judging from there.

The problem is it's almost impossible to judge how much beans have degas till the point for our usage. Sometimes it could go off really quickly in the summers. Especially the ones with lighter roasts which have very crema to begin with. Consistency is never easy to control.

Later on, we realised that the average joes don't care anyway.
 

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,063
Reaction score
14,822
why i got 2min was becos i am using J-max hand grinder and for espresso they say 120 clicks.....

I tried 125 clicks tool 55 sec....maybe need to go to 130 clicks instead of 120 clicks
no hard and fast rule

every grinder is different

every bean is different

adjust until you reach 30 seconds, or your desired taste
 

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,063
Reaction score
14,822
Established brands like Fourty Hands are closing down though.

You can't really tell how good is a shot by looking at the shot.
Back then when I was working with this cafe in the states, working alongside with WBC, we used fresh roast solely for photoshoot. We would wait till it degas a certain number of days else it could get really flat. We always stir the espresso and taste the shot before judging from there.

The problem is it's almost impossible to judge how much beans have degas till the point for our usage. Sometimes it could go off really quickly in the summers. Especially the ones with lighter roasts which have very crema to begin with. Consistency is never easy to control.

Later on, we realised that the average joes don't care anyway.
wow you're back
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top