(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
For Silvia, is it better to froth milk first then pull ?

BTW, I think I more or less know the frothing.

How to know the correct viscocity for latte art?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
For Silvia, is it better to froth milk first then pull ?

BTW, I think I more or less know the frothing.

How to know the correct viscocity for latte art?

I used to to brew first then froth. I felt that letting the letting the espresso wait rather than the milk is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Viscousity is up to you really. The important thing integrating the air well so that you don't have 2 separate layers of milk and foam in your pitcher. Otherwise hard to pour latte art. Have to hold back the foam with a spoon while pouring. Anyway if there is to much foam you can always try to make 3D latte art!
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
but isn't frothing 1st faster?
I mean straight after frothing, just run water through the group until you're at brewing temp and you're good to go.
If you brew 1st, you gotta wait longer for the boiler to do its thing b4 there's enough steam power.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
hi guys just chanced upon this thread and I'm looking to buy an espresso machine under 400 bucks. Currently looking at Delonghi ECO 310 is it any good?
Anybody have other recommendations or know where can buy Delonghi ECO 310 cheapest?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
but isn't frothing 1st faster?
I mean straight after frothing, just run water through the group until you're at brewing temp and you're good to go.
If you brew 1st, you gotta wait longer for the boiler to do its thing b4 there's enough steam power.

Yep but the milk may separate just waiting. And with a non pided Silvia need of flush boiler to cool it down and wait until the boiler cycle starts again and wait until the light turns off and count till 2mins (if I remember correctly) to do the "reverse temp surfing". Ahh makes me feeling like taking back my old poor Silvia and giving it the mod it deserves. :o
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Ahh makes me feeling like taking back my old poor Silvia and giving it the mod it deserves. :o

What's in the past should stay in the past.
you should look forward to the future.
BmW3Nxa.jpg

:D:D:D
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
What's in the past should stay in the past.
you should look forward to the future.
BmW3Nxa.jpg

:D:D:D

This is really poison man. I must go jimmy monkey show room to try. I think direct plumb should not be too much problem but counter space is limited. What about you? What is your next poison? :s22:
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Is jimmy monkey the local distributor for slayer?
Have you contacted them for a quotation? I'm guessing in the ballpark of 12k.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Is jimmy monkey the local distributor for slayer?
Have you contacted them for a quotation? I'm guessing in the ballpark of 12k.

Nope not yet too scared of the sticker price. Yes should be more than 12k. My estimate about 15k. JM Is the authorized distributor.

I'm exploring the KVDW speedster too. Using preinfusion but I really don't understand their explanation of their system. Impressively accurate to 0.1 celcius but this might be superfluous. :s13:
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
holy puck 15k....for such an amount, don't you wish they have some sort of instalment plan?

ah yes the speedster....another sexy beast. The workmanship is impeccable. I like its brew lever which is sorta like engaging gears on a car. The review at coffeegeek is certainly most poisonous. another 15k machine i suppose...

or you can just settle for a gs3 at 10k. :D
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
It's starts usd$8.5k here in use, we don't sell it at regular exchange rate here. So it's 12k and up easily. 15k also not unlikely for the most basic unit
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
Yep but the milk may separate just waiting. And with a non pided Silvia need of flush boiler to cool it down and wait until the boiler cycle starts again and wait until the light turns off and count till 2mins (if I remember correctly) to do the "reverse temp surfing". Ahh makes me feeling like taking back my old poor Silvia and giving it the mod it deserves. :o

Mine is PID. SO I guess froth then pull ?
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
Nope not yet too scared of the sticker price. Yes should be more than 12k. My estimate about 15k. JM Is the authorized distributor.

I'm exploring the KVDW speedster too. Using preinfusion but I really don't understand their explanation of their system. Impressively accurate to 0.1 celcius but this might be superfluous. :s13:

You guys hardcore. Don't think I will spend so much and only 1/2 ppl using.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
You guys hardcore. Don't think I will spend so much and only 1/2 ppl using.

I have to agree, I cannot drop usd$9k on a machine.
A grinder costing usd$1k is this and that, usd$9k machine must pair with that kind of grinder? Those usd$3k ones? Filtered grinder to get even size
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
I have to agree, I cannot drop usd$9k on a machine.
A grinder costing usd$1k is this and that, usd$9k machine must pair with that kind of grinder? Those usd$3k ones? Filtered grinder to get even size

One grinder for espresso. One for coarse grind.
Then a good hx machine and Kalita wave for drops. Settle
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
This came in a yesterday. Beans is from 3 different origins and look split roasted. Generally a darker roast then the usual 3rd wave light ones.





Tried it with a 15g dose with a tighter grind. Results are amazing. Dried fruit aromas(blueberry and pine apple) with a smooth creamy dark cocoa finish. Roasted just nice so avoid the burnt aftertaste from overly dark roasts. One of the better espresso blends i've tried. Paid about 9 pounds with shipping.

 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Tiger bro, how much per pack ? shipping how much?

4.5 pounds for 250gms. shipping was around 4 pounds too. Roasted on the 5th and I ordered on the 5th. Came in on the 13th. So about 8-10 days post roast which I feel is just nice to de-gas.

They have international subscriptions but sadly only for japan and other countries. No singapore one yet.

I might try jail break blend with the next order.
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
4.5 pounds for 250gms. shipping was around 4 pounds too. Roasted on the 5th and I ordered on the 5th. Came in on the 13th. So about 8-10 days post roast which I feel is just nice to de-gas.

They have international subscriptions but sadly only for japan and other countries. No singapore one yet.

I might try jail break blend with the next order.

price is OK . a slight premium to taste different types of coffee
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top