Gundam Modeling Official thread - Part 5

Blusttoy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
14,257
Reaction score
1,422
I personally buy the Gundam magazines for the visual Gundam p0rn, seeing the works can inspire you, even if it's something simple like paint scheme and decal placements. Although the ones I got in MY always censor the figurines review [Use some stupid black marker some more], which I don't collect but I would like to see see =:p

What's the kit you're working on Tanyieern? When I see other's DIY can roughly guess what they're working on but yours, so curvy the parts, reminds me of Calamity.
 

tanyieern

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
I personally buy the Gundam magazines for the visual Gundam p0rn, seeing the works can inspire you, even if it's something simple like paint scheme and decal placements. Although the ones I got in MY always censor the figurines review [Use some stupid black marker some more], which I don't collect but I would like to see see =:p

What's the kit you're working on Tanyieern? When I see other's DIY can roughly guess what they're working on but yours, so curvy the parts, reminds me of Calamity.

AEU Enact Custom:D

And i screwed up the paint job. When Assembling, Paint chips off. F**k.
Almost done assembling. Will post some pics when done:D
 

Knightrider3K

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
16,779
Reaction score
6
RG is not a good kit for beginners to try painting coz there are too many parts, and the parts are very small. it is better to start with MG or HG. MG is good coz the parts are well separated, so less masking to do


btw, OG is selling RG zaku for $25
:flash: Which OG? RG green zaku or the red 1?
 

tanyieern

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Hey, any1 knows when the HAW/HAG GSS promotion exactly ends? I am building 3 kits at the same time and worry that if i buy more, no time to finish. considering picking up a RG, and that takes alot of time to build...
 

sliver0503

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
5,578
Reaction score
4
Hey, any1 knows when the HAW/HAG GSS promotion exactly ends? I am building 3 kits at the same time and worry that if i buy more, no time to finish. considering picking up a RG, and that takes alot of time to build...

building 3 kits at the same time...
*thumbs up*
eh.. forgive me for being frank, why not do one kit at a time? slowly build up your modelling skills with one kit after another, then u will see the improvement/progression of each kit after another? not tat cannot do 3 kits at a time, but if you just started out, imho, might be good to do one kit at a time?


rg kits are very nice in details and has high degree of freedom, with painting and nice panel lines, it will look very nice imho
 
Last edited:

tanyieern

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
building 3 kits at the same time...
*thumbs up*
eh.. forgive me for being frank, why not do one kit at a time? slowly build up your modelling skills with one kit after another, then u will see the improvement/progression of each kit after another? not tat cannot do 3 kits at a time, but if you just started out, imho, might be good to do one kit at a time?


rg kits are very nice in details and has high degree of freedom, with painting and nice panel lines, it will look very nice imho
Yea, i agree with you. but June holiday only have 1 month. Not sure whether free after this holiday.So must practice as much as possible.

I ended up building 3 kits at once cos my plans jumbled up. Originally, I had 1 kit, Gundam Rapheal. Initial plan was to try out. So i bought and built the body. Watching videos of gundam models so painted well inspired me. So i decided to paint the Gn claws of my Rapheal. Reading through some forums, I came upon a thread selling model kits at rather low price. To try out, i bought the cheapest one, AEU Enact custom, and decided to learn how to paint. All my pictures previously posted are from this 2 kits. I did a much better job for the Enact compared to the Rapheal. It's unfortunate that i screwed up the paint job, by using wrong type of paint and poor painting skills. Couple more days past, i read another thread selling a Avalanche Exia pretty cheaply. Since I really liked the design of exia, i bought it. Thus i have 3 kits in the works. Got a built freedom today. I want to replicate destruction of freedom. But i need to clean up some poorly done parts from the previous owner.

BLEH, I'm over ambitious.
 
Last edited:

aucheukyan

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2009
Messages
4,643
Reaction score
325
Yea, i agree with you. but June holiday only have 1 month. Not sure whether free after this holiday.So must practice as much as possible.

I ended up building 3 kits at once cos my plans jumbled up. Originally, I had 1 kit, Gundam Rapheal. Initial plan was to try out. So i bought and built the body. Watching videos of gundam models so painted well inspired me. So i decided to paint the Gn claws of my Rapheal. Reading through some forums, I came upon a thread selling model kits at rather low price. To try out, i bought the cheapest one, AEU Enact custom, and decided to learn how to paint. All my pictures previously posted are from this 2 kits. I did a much better job for the Enact compared to the Rapheal. It's unfortunate that i screwed up the paint job, by using wrong type of paint and poor painting skills. Couple more days past, i read another thread selling a Avalanche Exia pretty cheaply. Since I really liked the design of exia, i bought it. Thus i have 3 kits in the works. Got a built freedom today. I want to replicate destruction of freedom. But i need to clean up some poorly done parts from the previous owner.

BLEH, I'm over ambitious.

being frank, yes you are......:s22:

try by doing a good surface prep first, learn to sand of nubs, remove seamlines, flashes, mold line, ejection marks first. Also try to plan out your painting phase at the same time and assemble those parts so that you dont have to do masking, essentially going towards a goal of one colour to one part. Primer on and see your mistakes, then rectify them. After that just spray paint on, handpaint if needed for details and do a simple wash over for panel lines can already.

Dont do many kits cocurrently, do one by one, so that you can see your mistakes in your first kit and try to avoid it in the next. Thats a learning process here, eventually you will get to the point that you can make wonders out of that plain plasticky kit.

If you are free then go read up on colour theories/colour wheel, scale effect of paints, paint types and properties and see how people do up their kits. Sliver has an large amount of WIPs in SGGunplaSociety that you can look through and learn, they are not to the extent of spoonfeeding you, but feel free to ask questions and we will do our best to help you.
 
Last edited:

tarui04

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
64,432
Reaction score
1,782
18861886.jpg


1 of my kits' wip

first time at airbrushing
 

tanyieern

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
May I know what do u mean by poorly done? Haha..

Nubs not properly cut and sanded, Decals are poorly placed, Seam lines are very obvious, Glue stains from the shield, which i suspect is from decals being removed, etc. Essentially, exactly what i did when i first started. Loose parts too.

Some pics:
DSCN0285.jpg
,
DSCN0286.jpg

Lousy pasting of decals.
DSCN0284.jpg

Loose parts,
DSCN0283.jpg

Glue residue
DSCN0281.jpg

Nubs not properly cut and sanded.

BLEH, just realized how bad articulation is in HG.
 
Last edited:

tanyieern

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Random Pic of my half built rapheal.
DSCN0295.jpg


Note that i screwed up the panel lining. I used permanent marker, now cannot erase.
 

cyclonic23

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
1,977
Reaction score
0
Nubs not properly cut and sanded, Decals are poorly placed, Seam lines are very obvious, Glue stains from the shield, which i suspect is from decals being removed, etc. Essentially, exactly what i did when i first started. Loose parts too.

Some pics:
DSCN0285.jpg
,
DSCN0286.jpg

Lousy pasting of decals.
DSCN0284.jpg

Loose parts,
DSCN0283.jpg

Glue residue
DSCN0281.jpg

Nubs not properly cut and sanded.

BLEH, just realized how bad articulation is in HG.

Nubs mark on plastic are nothing compared to resin.
Try getting yourself a resin kit you will know what i mean
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top