INTEL CPUs *OC Benchmark & Discussion*

AlwaysLurking

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2021
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
Purely for gaming no noticeable difference, pick the cheaper option. If your usage include content creation, 3D modelling, render or edit videos get 12700f.

Want to just plug and play pick 12700f, want to tinkle and oc pick 12600k.


If I do pick a 12700f and a b660 board to go with it. I am only able to run 3200cl16 ram right?.
Would that affect performance as compared to a 12600k with a faster ram?.
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580
I read from reddit some user did not managed to run faster rams. Because for b660 the ram overclocking is locked right?.
it is not locked. to be fair, intel only unlocked ram speeds on bx60 boards just 1 gen before, ie b560. that reddit user probably had a motherboard or cpu imc that wasnt up to scratch.
 

AlwaysLurking

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2021
Messages
37
Reaction score
6
it is not locked. to be fair, intel only unlocked ram speeds on bx60 boards just 1 gen before, ie b560. that reddit user probably had a motherboard or cpu imc that wasnt up to scratch.
I see, I probably will go for 3200cl16 just to be save. Initially want to use 3600cl18 but afraid may not be able to run. Thanks anyways.
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,910
Reaction score
3,400
I see, I probably will go for 3200cl16 just to be save. Initially want to use 3600cl18 but afraid may not be able to run. Thanks anyways.
I recycled a pair of old 16x2gb 3600cl18 ram from my old ryzen build for 12700, no problem. But I don't think there is really any noticeable difference between 3600cl18 and 3200cl16.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
I see, I probably will go for 3200cl16 just to be save. Initially want to use 3600cl18 but afraid may not be able to run. Thanks anyways.
Best is to look at the QVL list of the board on the website.
My guess is that you should be able to run 3600CL18.
12th Gen and DDR4 can do 3600 easily. Those on good Z690 boards can push 4000-4133Mhz Gear 1 but this is totally dependent on your board, CPU IMC and Ram.
XMP on 3600C18 should be relatively straight forward.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
If I do pick a 12700f and a b660 board to go with it. I am only able to run 3200cl16 ram right?.
Would that affect performance as compared to a 12600k with a faster ram?.
You generally will have no problems with DDR4 3600 under normal circumstances. Unless either you CPU or board is that bad, that it cannot run DDR4 3600 at Gear 1.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
I recycled a pair of old 16x2gb 3600cl18 ram from my old ryzen build for 12700, no problem. But I don't think there is really any noticeable difference between 3600cl18 and 3200cl16.
For most users, one will only notice the difference when running benchmarks. For some users that run memory bandwidth intensive application, they may also observe some improvements. Otherwise, in day to day usage (including games), it is unlikely that you will notice any improvement since it will always fall into the margin of error.
 

Kairos

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
2,252
Reaction score
63
Intel Raptor Lake Specs Allegedly Exposed: Up To 24 Cores, 32 Threads

Source: tomshardware.com

txKRAdAXbJREqKfHb8cYRV-970-80.png.webp
 

SEvsNK

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
22,599
Reaction score
517
Just a check to those who have overclocked their Alderlake chips.

Have you guys noticed any noticeable gains in games?

Worth the extra heat and power draw?
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,910
Reaction score
3,400
Just a check to those who have overclocked their Alderlake chips.

Have you guys noticed any noticeable gains in games?

Worth the extra heat and power draw?
My Non-k turned off pl counted? :ROFLMAO:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top