iPhone 5 Battery Life

boxedfish

Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
406
Reaction score
12
No clear wrapper. It is a white box, not those selling one. There is a sticker seal at the side and the staff have to slide cut it and open for check. I ask them to open 2 set and finally settle on one that does not have scuffgate or nick issue. End up battery life sux more than the previous defect one. Gan!

guess those are probably rejected ones when people check and reject due to cosmetic defects and so on, then they package in white box for RMA. mine have a little scruffgate issues. i think i better just stick with it and dun RMA.. it's just a phone meant to be used anyway..
 

simcher

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2000
Messages
6,917
Reaction score
6
I realised that if you start the iPhone 5 as a new phone, the battery last longer...

previously i restored my phone from my 4S. the battery life is horrible.... around 6 hours and i'm left with 30%....

now....
Usage: 3 Hours, 18 Minutes
Standby: 10 Hours, 26 Minutes
I'm left with 60% battery life.

mainly imessage, sms, whatsapp, facebook, check emails and alittle web surfing.


the day before....
Usage around 7 hours.
Standby around 24 hours
i'm left with 10% power.
 

sparespares

Master Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
4,148
Reaction score
415
I was having issue with the iPhone 5 battery life since i got it on day 1. Battery could only last ~6hrs with normal usage and i would need to charge it. The battery was found to be hot most of the time too, and data loading was quite laggy.

However, i just realized that i am actually still on 3G network (did not subscribe to 4G) and had the LTE option turned on. As such, I believe the phone kept searching for LTE network only to be denied access. Hence, the heat from the battery and short battery life.

I have turned off that option since yesterday and the battery has seen much improvement. From the charging required every 6 hours, i now only need to charge every 24hrs. Told that to another friend and she also reported similar improvement in battery life.

Hope this helps.
 

iSeezAll

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
1,619
Reaction score
0
No clear wrapper. It is a white box, not those selling one. There is a sticker seal at the side and the staff have to slide cut it and open for check. I ask them to open 2 set and finally settle on one that does not have scuffgate or nick issue. End up battery life sux more than the previous defect one. Gan!

Refurbish set ?
Anyone manage to get a brand new set when they swap ?
 

edm_11

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
598
Reaction score
2
yes.. i think LTE is the juice drainer here.. i off it and see some improvement. alternatively, buy extra charger and keep it charged lo..
 

bryant_16

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
6,012
Reaction score
75
I think can try is that, leave your data connection to off, so only incoming calls and sms. See whether on standby, does your battery still goes down anot..

I guess the battery drainer comes from whatsapp, whenever I start on whatsapp, battery seems to be draining very fast. Safari browsing is alright.
 

kvltic

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
Can't be a refurbished set so early on right?

mine comes in a white box when i RMA. There is not scuff or any marks and it comes in perfect. I dont think they have refurbished ones probably extra stocks just for people who RMA.

They are different from the retail ones. Since even some of the retail ones have scuff marks then are those refurbished? I dont think so. And its just a few days since, how to get a refurbished set so soon?
 
Last edited:

avalondigo

Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
457
Reaction score
0
when you guys say "set as new phone"
what did you actually do?

go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings?
or use itunes to restore factory setting?

then how did you restore your data/apps back to the iphone?
 

comtt74

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
671
Reaction score
6
I suggest that you turn off 4G/LTE at poor coverage area or totally.

Reason is your iphone 5 will keep looking for 4G/LTE as a result the battery will drain faster and it will get hot faster.

For extreme cases, you may want to consider to turn off cellular data too.

Turn LTE and cellular data on only when you need to use data.

Cheers.
 
Last edited:

alibaba136

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
649
Reaction score
0
I turn off LTE during my working hours .. Fabulous ...

Now still 44 % .. After my school :)
 

nokeboi

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
If you charge your phone every night when you sleep till the next morning, usually it will last longer compared to if you just charge until 100%.
 

mirukuboi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
85,405
Reaction score
6,761
I am actually quite impressed with the battery life as compared to my 3GS. But of course I off-ed LTE and use the rest like I would my 3GS.
 

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,530
Reaction score
2
If you charge your phone every night when you sleep till the next morning, usually it will last longer compared to if you just charge until 100%.
Proper term of that is called Trickle Charge. And it doesn't need overnight charging to achieve Trickle a charge effects.
 

elemental

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,072
Reaction score
0
Btw, where do you guys enable/disable the LTE/4G network thing?

I can't seem to find it on my Starhub set?

:s22:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top