[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Eldarchen

Member
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
493
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I'm back !! More questions:

1. Is there a key I can press to auto maximize a page? Be it safari or a program so I don't have to manually resize it every time?

2. My Battery lasts for less than 4h, is there a reason why it differs so much from the apple 8-9h? Its the old 2010 model

3. In Safari, how do I delete a book mark or shift it ard? Apparently, right click doesn't work ....

4. In Safari, how do I open multiple pages which I can see on my dock without stacking, I want like 5 safari open?

5. I previously synced my Iphone with another pc comp but would like to resync it to my mbp but when I try to do so, it says, it would overwrite my iphone with my empty itunes, any ideas on how to keep both the apps and the contacts ?

Thanks !!
 

gnixer

Master Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
4,650
Reaction score
236
recently got myself a ext HDD for macbook but was torn between to format it to fat32 or NTFS. how/what setup do u guys use it for torrents and use for windows also.

in case need to copy the movies out from fat32 format to NTFS, will there be a problem?

have anyone use macfuse before?
 
Last edited:

evolute8

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
9,933
Reaction score
4
recently got myself a ext HDD for macbook but was torn between to format it to fat32 or NTFS. how/what setup do u guys use it for torrents and use for windows also.

in case need to copy the movies out from fat32 format to NTFS, will there be a problem?

have anyone use macfuse before?
format it to exFAT format, can be read and written by both windows and mac
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing the MBP 13inch with 2.7Ghz or the high end MBP 15inch with high res anti glare screen. As of now I'm using thinkpad w510. I'm using adobe products here already e.g. photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, illustrator.

I have some questions in mind though, pardon me if this has been asked many times and repeated again and again.

Mainly I will just use this MBP for programming, web developing and adobe products like photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and so on. I will most probably will not game as I have my thinkpad.

The questions are:

- Is it worth it for me to get this MBP? Or should I stick with windows?
- What other programs that you guys (developer use) to develop PHP and Java?
- How does the graphic performance in this MBP? I'm planning to get the high-res anti glare.
- What benefits do I gain from MBP?
- What is the OWC that you guys have been talking about? Is it a brand or ?
- I assume the normal DDR3 RAM will work here if I were to upgrade it myself yes?
- What other things should I take note of if I were to make the transition?

I have been searching online and quite bit of reading. Don't really have a solid idea yet. As I don't want to waste my money anyhow.

Thanks in advance for all the answers. Hope to get feedback here.
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing the MBP 13inch with 2.7Ghz or the high end MBP 15inch with high res anti glare screen. As of now I'm using thinkpad w510. I'm using adobe products here already e.g. photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, illustrator.

I have some questions in mind though, pardon me if this has been asked many times and repeated again and again.

Mainly I will just use this MBP for programming, web developing and adobe products like photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and so on. I will most probably will not game as I have my thinkpad.

The questions are:

- Is it worth it for me to get this MBP? Or should I stick with windows?
Depends. Are you willing to learn a new OS, purchase new software?
- What other programs that you guys (developer use) to develop PHP and Java?
Dreamweaver and JDK
- How does the graphic performance in this MBP? I'm planning to get the high-res anti glare.
If you're doing graphics, I suggest going for the glossy screen instead
- What benefits do I gain from MBP?
Faster, no crashing, no viruses, no rebooting, etc.. the advantages are endless
- What is the OWC that you guys have been talking about? Is it a brand or ?
Its a brand of high-end SSD, highly recommended if you really want to significantly cut down your loading times
- I assume the normal DDR3 RAM will work here if I were to upgrade it myself yes?
yes
- What other things should I take note of if I were to make the transition?
Backup all your files?

I have been searching online and quite bit of reading. Don't really have a solid idea yet. As I don't want to waste my money anyhow.

Thanks in advance for all the answers. Hope to get feedback here.

See my answers in red.
 

punggolkid

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
1,778
Reaction score
6
This is more of an Intel Processor question.

Currently I'm looking at the Macbook Pro 13"

The difference between the two models is the Intel Chip and its HDD space.

The latter isn't much of a bother. I'm just wondering if a 2.7Ghz i5 Dual-Core and 2.0Ghz i7 Dual-Core has a lot of difference.

is the difference between i5 and i7 noticeable or negligible?

From what I've read, the difference in clock speed and extra L2 cache is negligible. Unless you do intensive work that benefits from these 2. Like heavy video encoding or intensive multi threaded application like programming. Daily web surfing/flash player/office productivity/gaming won't see a diff.
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
See my answers in red.

Hi negativzero, firstly, thank you for the answer. I have a question below.

why do you suggest the glossy screen instead of the high res?

Yes I do not mind learning the new OS and purchasing it, if it is really good.
 

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
3,746
Reaction score
193
Hi Guys,

I will making my mbp purchase after release of LION in Jul. In addition, I will purchase an upgrade of HDD from OWC. I don't get it if LION does not have bootable disk, after I fix in the new HDD on my mbp, how to install LION on a new HDD?

Any advisors?

:s11::s11::s11: Thanks
 

MacWinx

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I will making my mbp purchase after release of LION in Jul. In addition, I will purchase an upgrade of HDD from OWC. I don't get it if LION does not have bootable disk, after I fix in the new HDD on my mbp, how to install LION on a new HDD?

Any advisors?

:s11::s11::s11: Thanks

I believe when you purchase your MBP, it will come with a Mac OSX Lion DVD?
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
Hi negativzero, firstly, thank you for the answer. I have a question below.

why do you suggest the glossy screen instead of the high res?

Yes I do not mind learning the new OS and purchasing it, if it is really good.
If you're a graphic designer, its better to go with a high quality glossy screen, so you have better contrasts and deeper blacks on your laptop screen, which cannot be provided on an antiglare screen.
Hi Guys,

I will making my mbp purchase after release of LION in Jul. In addition, I will purchase an upgrade of HDD from OWC. I don't get it if LION does not have bootable disk, after I fix in the new HDD on my mbp, how to install LION on a new HDD?

Any advisors?

:s11::s11::s11: Thanks
No one knows if lion will come in a bootable cd or not.
 

evolute8

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
9,933
Reaction score
4
Any methods to stream local radio online ?
xinmsn "hear us live" doesn't work on mac
 

evolute8

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
9,933
Reaction score
4

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I'm going to buy the MBP 15inch. Now I understand that there are 2 choices for the high res which is the glossy and anti-glare.

Anyone one using the anti-glare and can compare with the glossy?

Which one is better? Anti-glare or glossy? I'm scare of the reflection happening and I believe epicentre or istudio does not have the 2 comparison ya? Thanks.
 

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
7,250
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I'm going to buy the MBP 15inch. Now I understand that there are 2 choices for the high res which is the glossy and anti-glare.

Anyone one using the anti-glare and can compare with the glossy?

Which one is better? Anti-glare or glossy? I'm scare of the reflection happening and I believe epicentre or istudio does not have the 2 comparison ya? Thanks.

I have the hi-res anti glare. The glossy do have slightly more vibrant colors but the thing is, most of the time I'm looking at my own reflections. This pretty much negates all forms of advantage from a glossy screen.

Definitely the anti-glare over the glossy.
Moreover, the anti-glare comes with a silver trim which is a lot nicer IMO :)
 

nakamoto

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
0
hello. i have a mbp i7 2.0ghz 2011 15 inch. i ran window 7 on parallel and tried playing warcraft 3 on it. the mouse cursor keep lagging though i switch the resolution to 1024x600. any idea what is wrong ?
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Hi Guys,

I'm back !! More questions:

1. Is there a key I can press to auto maximize a page? Be it safari or a program so I don't have to manually resize it every time?

2. My Battery lasts for less than 4h, is there a reason why it differs so much from the apple 8-9h? Its the old 2010 model

3. In Safari, how do I delete a book mark or shift it ard? Apparently, right click doesn't work ....

4. In Safari, how do I open multiple pages which I can see on my dock without stacking, I want like 5 safari open?

5. I previously synced my Iphone with another pc comp but would like to resync it to my mbp but when I try to do so, it says, it would overwrite my iphone with my empty itunes, any ideas on how to keep both the apps and the contacts ?

Thanks !!

1) Use bettertouchtool. You can set the maximize action (& more) via gestures on magic mouse or keys on keyboard.

3) How do you normally bookmark something ? If you drag & drop to the bookmarks bar, you can easily click & drag to shift or right click to remove.

Any methods to stream local radio online ?
xinmsn "hear us live" doesn't work on mac

Mine's working fine on both firefox (4.0.1) and safari (5.0.5).
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
hello. i have a mbp i7 2.0ghz 2011 15 inch. i ran window 7 on parallel and tried playing warcraft 3 on it. the mouse cursor keep lagging though i switch the resolution to 1024x600. any idea what is wrong ?

I guess for best performance you should use bootcamp.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top