[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

guynextdoor80

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
2,288
Reaction score
0
Thanks bro! That means natively the Mac OS can't customize what apps appear in the dock of different desktops.

Then what is the meaning of being able to customize different desktops for different uses? I read this part in the official features list of OS X Lion but dun understand what it means..

"You can now bind an application to a particular space or make it available in all spaces right from the Dock. Press and hold the icon in the Dock and make a selection from the contextual menu."

Sorry if I am asking noobish question, 1st time using Mac OS..:(

Not natively, but you can certainly download this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27841/dock-spaces

I'm not sure if it works with LION though.
 

axiong

Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
257
Reaction score
5
thanks for the reply...

if is motherboard problem, i think it will cost me a boom. haihz...
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Thanks bro! That means natively the Mac OS can't customize what apps appear in the dock of different desktops.

Then what is the meaning of being able to customize different desktops for different uses? I read this part in the official features list of OS X Lion but dun understand what it means..

"You can now bind an application to a particular space or make it available in all spaces right from the Dock. Press and hold the icon in the Dock and make a selection from the contextual menu."

Sorry if I am asking noobish question, 1st time using Mac OS..:(

That means you can set an application to only run in the desktop that you had assigned it to.

E.g. If you had assigned Safari to only run in Desktop 2, its window will only be visible in Desktop 2 though the dock icon may appear in Desktop 1. Clicking on the dock icon in Desktop 1 will bring you to Desktop 2 right away.
 
Last edited:

freeloadx

Master Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
3,232
Reaction score
1
i've just bought a mbp 13" a 2 days back.
i realise when im using it while charging, i can feel occasional static at the palm rest area. izzit normal?
 

addictzz

Senior Member
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
2,490
Reaction score
0
Anybody know the number to call if we have some technical issue with our macbook? My MBP battery is at 80% after a calibration. Its lifecycle is around 50, not even 1000 yet.
 

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
16,053
Reaction score
854
so what is the correct way of uninstalling a program?

cannot just drag to trash?
 

destsy

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
295
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, my Macbook charger die on me last week, my macbook is from year 2007-2008 if i remember correctly. Anyone know where can i get original charger at a better affordable price? what i see in apple store they are selling $120+over.

Once again i thank you guys for spending time reading and replying.
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Sometimes its not about how much space those files occupy, but rather to do a cleaner un-installation though not 100%, esp for instance if you are re-installing or installing a newer version of an app. My concern is those files may contain previous settings and configurations, that may not be desirable.
 
Last edited:

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
They shouldn't cause problems.
If you're installing a newer version of the application you have trashed ages ago, the configuration file wouldn't be used and would probably be overwritten because it's created by an older version of the application.

What I've seen on the board over the years is "I heard that by not removing these configuration files, we might run in to problems in the future" what I haven't heard is users personally facing these issues themselves.
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
They shouldn't cause problems.
If you're installing a newer version of the application you have trashed ages ago, the configuration file wouldn't be used and would probably be overwritten because it's created by an older version of the application.

What I've seen on the board over the years is "I heard that by not removing these configuration files, we might run in to problems in the future" what I haven't heard is users personally facing these issues themselves.

You're not wrong to say that, most average users would do just fine. I'm just pointing out that to do a proper un-installation is more than just moving the .app to the trash. I believe that's the main reason why some apps come with a uninstaller.
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
You're not wrong to say that, most average users would do just fine. I'm just pointing out that to do a proper un-installation is more than just moving the .app to the trash. I believe that's the main reason why some apps come with a uninstaller.

Of course, when an App comes with an uninstaller the user should use it :D
 

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
8,399
Reaction score
36
quick question.. currently got a mid 2009 MBP.. if say i get a new mac mini, and i swop the HDD from my MBP to the mini, will the mini it boot up normally without any problems and with all my files, settings, itunes, etc,.. all intact? I assume that the mini and mbp architecture is different...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top