[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

nuky8181

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
1
Hi,

Helping a friend with his wedding and I will be using another friend Macbook pro to project video during the dinner. Got some q and ans I found so far.

1) How to do a extended display
- Just connect to projector, ensure mirror function is not checked. This will allow extended display.
- Action required Click on Apple logo on top left -> Display preference -> ensure mirror function not checked

2) How to toggle between primary and secondary screen
- Apple logo -> Display preference ->arrangement. Move the white bar to the display I want it as primary display

3) On dinner, after what I do in Q2, I can drag the movie player to the secondary screen. I will have control over the macbook while the secondary screen is playing the video.

However, I need to a power slide after the movie end. Is there a way to switch it instantly to the slide and onto the projector without the guest from seeing any background changes or me dragging the software around?

Thanks
 

d4r3d3vil

Master Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
3,906
Reaction score
0
can anyone help me?

i have a 10.6.7 mid 2010 mbp 13"

i try to load boot camp and it says windows support software not available everytime.

anyone experiencing same problem?
 

creampuff

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
ical

Hi,

Why does my ical start always at 8:08 9:08 or ...:08..
it always end at the 08 behind. It seem irritating.
and anyone successfully change the event duration to 30 mins or 15 mins?
I am unable to click on the minutes of the event. So it always have to start at 8:08am or 9:08...anyone can help?
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
Got a question to ask. I've a 2010 MBP and planning to upgrade my RAM to 8GB from the current 4GB. Was wondering if it's really necessary and if there's any significant difference in terms of speed?

I do photo-editing on Aperture though.
 

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Got a question to ask. I've a 2010 MBP and planning to upgrade my RAM to 8GB from the current 4GB. Was wondering if it's really necessary and if there's any significant difference in terms of speed?

I do photo-editing on Aperture though.

That depends on whether you find that those applications are running fast enough on your current set up.
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
That depends on whether you find that those applications are running fast enough on your current set up.

I've no issues on other apps but when it comes to photo editing, the processing might take a little longer and sometimes i've to keep freeing RAM.
 

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
I've no issues on other apps but when it comes to photo editing, the processing might take a little longer and sometimes i've to keep freeing RAM.

The PROCESSING? Because if you are talking about the processing aspect of the computer, then that's got to do with the chip rather than the RAM.
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
The PROCESSING? Because if you are talking about the processing aspect of the computer, then that's got to do with the chip rather than the RAM.

Maybe i didn't state properly, should say the time taken is slower, but of cos it's RAM aspect.
 

MookieTea

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Hi fellow mac users, I need some help and I figured this is the best place to seek help and advices. :)

My mbp 15 is awfully slow and lag. I don't know what's the cause of it. I dont use it for anything, just surfing the net when im not near the desktop.

Do you guys think upgrading the ram would help?
It's currently running on the stock 4gb ram.

Heres the activity monitor.

Screenshot2012-01-18atPM112230.png


Sometimes the green part will drop to very little.

Any suggestions? :) Thanks!
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
Hi fellow mac users, I need some help and I figured this is the best place to seek help and advices. :)

My mbp 15 is awfully slow and lag. I don't know what's the cause of it. I dont use it for anything, just surfing the net when im not near the desktop.

Do you guys think upgrading the ram would help?
It's currently running on the stock 4gb ram.

Heres the activity monitor.

Screenshot2012-01-18atPM112230.png


Sometimes the green part will drop to very little.

Any suggestions? :) Thanks!

Just upgraded my RAM to 8GB today. Honestly it does improve somewhat but not too significantly.

Now i don't have to worry about having to keep freeing memory when i'm doing my photo-editing.
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Hi fellow mac users, I need some help and I figured this is the best place to seek help and advices. :)

My mbp 15 is awfully slow and lag. I don't know what's the cause of it. I dont use it for anything, just surfing the net when im not near the desktop.

Do you guys think upgrading the ram would help?
It's currently running on the stock 4gb ram.

Heres the activity monitor.

Screenshot2012-01-18atPM112230.png


Sometimes the green part will drop to very little.

Any suggestions? :) Thanks!


You can upgrade your RAM if you want but by right 4Gb for normal user is sufficient.

Another thing you could do is try to repair the disk permission. It might help you solve the lagness.

Or it might be cause by software that is not good. Have you recently installed a new program before the lag happened?
 

MookieTea

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
You can upgrade your RAM if you want but by right 4Gb for normal user is sufficient.

Another thing you could do is try to repair the disk permission. It might help you solve the lagness.

Or it might be cause by software that is not good. Have you recently installed a new program before the lag happened?

No sir. I did not install any new program. Maybe Oynx, but it doesn't help. I try reformatting too. :(

Would i be better off getting a new laptop, or get a new ram? Or to the apple service store?:s11:
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
No sir. I did not install any new program. Maybe Oynx, but it doesn't help. I try reformatting too. :(

Would i be better off getting a new laptop, or get a new ram? Or to the apple service store?:s11:

Upgrade yr RAM as it's a lot cheaper. U can buy yrself and DIY or bring to shops to get it done.
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,225
Reaction score
320
Hi,

Helping a friend with his wedding and I will be using another friend Macbook pro to project video during the dinner. Got some q and ans I found so far.

1) How to do a extended display
- Just connect to projector, ensure mirror function is not checked. This will allow extended display.
- Action required Click on Apple logo on top left -> Display preference -> ensure mirror function not checked

2) How to toggle between primary and secondary screen
- Apple logo -> Display preference ->arrangement. Move the white bar to the display I want it as primary display

3) On dinner, after what I do in Q2, I can drag the movie player to the secondary screen. I will have control over the macbook while the secondary screen is playing the video.

However, I need to a power slide after the movie end. Is there a way to switch it instantly to the slide and onto the projector without the guest from seeing any background changes or me dragging the software around?

Thanks
Make use of spaces.

Hi fellow mac users, I need some help and I figured this is the best place to seek help and advices. :)

My mbp 15 is awfully slow and lag. I don't know what's the cause of it. I dont use it for anything, just surfing the net when im not near the desktop.

Do you guys think upgrading the ram would help?
It's currently running on the stock 4gb ram.

Heres the activity monitor.

Screenshot2012-01-18atPM112230.png


Sometimes the green part will drop to very little.

Any suggestions? :) Thanks!
You don't need a ram upgrade, because you're not hitting swaps yet.
4gig is more than enough for you.

can anyone help me?

i have a 10.6.7 mid 2010 mbp 13"

i try to load boot camp and it says windows support software not available everytime.

anyone experiencing same problem?

Where are you seeing this error?
You might need to re-download your Boot Camp drivers/Installation package from Apple's Website.

Hi,

Why does my ical start always at 8:08 9:08 or ...:08..
it always end at the 08 behind. It seem irritating.
and anyone successfully change the event duration to 30 mins or 15 mins?
I am unable to click on the minutes of the event. So it always have to start at 8:08am or 9:08...anyone can help?

edit the event and change the from and to time?
 
Last edited:

MookieTea

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
You don't need a ram upgrade, because you're not hitting swaps yet.
4gig is more than enough for you.

But activity monitor isnt consistent. Sometimes the free memory section would go to only a tiny portion of that pie chart.
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,225
Reaction score
320
Yes, sometimes it drops to this.
Screen-shot-2010-09-28-at-11.39.47-AM.png


Is it possible to change the hdd and ram myself? :/
For ram i know i can DIY, where can i get the ram? :)
:o :eek: you need moar ram
I always get them from macsales.com or those Hynix ones sorta dont trust other type of rams...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top