[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, need advice from mbp users who have experience with crash-related issues. I have a Mid-2010 15" MBP. Recently it's been having random black-outs about once a day. It has happened when I was in the middle of a word document, cmd+tabbing, anything. There will be a black screen, the fan will still be running, and the only thing I can do is do a reboot by holding on to power button. And today the left fan probably just broke down, since it's making weird noises. Does anyone know what's the issue? Is it graphics-card/HDD related? Or could it be software since I'm still on Lion? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,225
Reaction score
320
Hey guys, need advice from mbp users who have experience with crash-related issues. I have a Mid-2010 15" MBP. Recently it's been having random black-outs about once a day. It has happened when I was in the middle of a word document, cmd+tabbing, anything. There will be a black screen, the fan will still be running, and the only thing I can do is do a reboot by holding on to power button. And today the left fan probably just broke down, since it's making weird noises. Does anyone know what's the issue? Is it graphics-card/HDD related? Or could it be software since I'm still on Lion? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Bring it down to AppleCare and let them have a look.
Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
Bring it down to AppleCare and let them have a look.
Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Thanks for your reply. I've brought it down to the AppleCare at Changi City Point before. Previously the crash occurred whenever I used the 'expose' function. They ran all sorts of diagnostic tests but couldn't detect anything. I couldn't reproduce the problem so they couldn't help me. Now my AppleCare's expired. A diagnostic test costs $86. :( Any alternatives I can seek?
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
Thanks for your reply. I've brought it down to the AppleCare at Changi City Point before. Previously the crash occurred whenever I used the 'expose' function. They ran all sorts of diagnostic tests but couldn't detect anything. I couldn't reproduce the problem so they couldn't help me. Now my AppleCare's expired. A diagnostic test costs $86. :( Any alternatives I can seek?

If it is hardware problem, it will be very hard for anyone besides Apple to help you.
These are the following things that you can do to help yourself.

1) Attempt to replicate the problem, video it down while you are trying. If it is a rare condition, then either you are persistent or you won't have the necessary evidence.
2) Should the crash occur again, take note of the time. Be as accurate as possible, it is not hard to ensure your handphone time and the computer time is in sync by syncing with the NTP. After that, login into the terminal and copy out the following file /var/log/system.log. Post here in the forum and show us 10mins before and after, let us know the time and see if the issue can be identified.
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
If it is hardware problem, it will be very hard for anyone besides Apple to help you.
These are the following things that you can do to help yourself.

1) Attempt to replicate the problem, video it down while you are trying. If it is a rare condition, then either you are persistent or you won't have the necessary evidence.
2) Should the crash occur again, take note of the time. Be as accurate as possible, it is not hard to ensure your handphone time and the computer time is in sync by syncing with the NTP. After that, login into the terminal and copy out the following file /var/log/system.log. Post here in the forum and show us 10mins before and after, let us know the time and see if the issue can be identified.

I will monitor and try to get a log up here in the event of another crash. Thanks for the help! Cheers and tgif.
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
the other day, my MBP (mid-2012) won't switch on. I was extracting some files via BootCamp and since it taking quite awhile, I decided to leave it running. I close the lid and when I woke up, my MBP won't switch on. there's no power even when it's using the AC power, I did the SMC reset and still nothing.

my fiance bought it over to A-Lab and they mentioned that they did a reset of the unit and after which everythimg's ok. They advised that I might have shorted due to the items plugged in the USB port.

Now, my MBP won't switch on again. I was doing data transfer. I lowered the screen light display and keyboard light display and let it do the data transfer. when i woke up, same scenario. the two things that were plugged in the USB ports are the transceiver for my wireless mouse and the External hDD.

any idea what happened and any solution that I can do?
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
If it is hardware problem, it will be very hard for anyone besides Apple to help you.
These are the following things that you can do to help yourself.

1) Attempt to replicate the problem, video it down while you are trying. If it is a rare condition, then either you are persistent or you won't have the necessary evidence.
2) Should the crash occur again, take note of the time. Be as accurate as possible, it is not hard to ensure your handphone time and the computer time is in sync by syncing with the NTP. After that, login into the terminal and copy out the following file /var/log/system.log. Post here in the forum and show us 10mins before and after, let us know the time and see if the issue can be identified.

Hi, I'm trying to extract the log file from my Terminal using the /var/log/system.log but I got permission denied. Can anyone advice? Thank you.
 

AyuReady

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
6,811
Reaction score
3
Saw overseas website said that iMac had been refreshed.

Sg apple store haven't refresh right? Anyone gt clue on when it would be refreshed ?

Thanks.
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
Hi, I'm trying to extract the log file from my Terminal using the /var/log/system.log but I got permission denied. Can anyone advice? Thank you.

Perform this as an administrator user, when requested for password, use your own password.
Code:
sudo cp /var/log/system.log ~/system.log
sudo chmod 0777 ~/system.log

that should copy out the file and also give you access to the copy of system.log in your HOME directory.
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
the other day, my MBP (mid-2012) won't switch on. I was extracting some files via BootCamp and since it taking quite awhile, I decided to leave it running. I close the lid and when I woke up, my MBP won't switch on. there's no power even when it's using the AC power, I did the SMC reset and still nothing.

my fiance bought it over to A-Lab and they mentioned that they did a reset of the unit and after which everythimg's ok. They advised that I might have shorted due to the items plugged in the USB port.

Now, my MBP won't switch on again. I was doing data transfer. I lowered the screen light display and keyboard light display and let it do the data transfer. when i woke up, same scenario. the two things that were plugged in the USB ports are the transceiver for my wireless mouse and the External hDD.

any idea what happened and any solution that I can do?

unplug the wireless mouse and ext HDD, try the SMC and PRAM again. see if the computer boots up normally after that. what i suggest is that go to Energy Saver in System Preferences to change computer sleep to never, make sure 'Put hard disks to sleep whenever possible' is turned off as well.
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, need advice from mbp users who have experience with crash-related issues. I have a Mid-2010 15" MBP. Recently it's been having random black-outs about once a day. It has happened when I was in the middle of a word document, cmd+tabbing, anything. There will be a black screen, the fan will still be running, and the only thing I can do is do a reboot by holding on to power button. And today the left fan probably just broke down, since it's making weird noises. Does anyone know what's the issue? Is it graphics-card/HDD related? Or could it be software since I'm still on Lion? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

This support article talks about the issue you encounter..
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010): Intermittent black screen or loss of video
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
Last edited:

AyuReady

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
6,811
Reaction score
3
Apple Online Store SG has the refreshed iMacs already.

Bro thanks a lot.

Sorry too noob to detect the difference.

Aiming for the lower end 27 inch model and upgrade to fusion drive. Ram I can do it after market right ?

Appreciate advice on the bto option to get

Mainly for basic photo and video editing (occasionally )
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
Bro thanks a lot.

Sorry too noob to detect the difference.

Aiming for the lower end 27 inch model and upgrade to fusion drive. Ram I can do it after market right ?

Appreciate advice on the bto option to get

Mainly for basic photo and video editing (occasionally )
yes, RAM can be aftermarket for 27". i got 2 x 4GB DDR3-1600 from SimplyMac.SG and inserted them myself. Fusion drive is good, and i think 1GB VRAM should be sufficient.
 

AyuReady

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
6,811
Reaction score
3
yes, RAM can be aftermarket for 27". i got 2 x 4GB DDR3-1600 from SimplyMac.SG and inserted them myself. Fusion drive is good, and i think 1GB VRAM should be sufficient.

Thanks a lot!

If I am going to opt An eventual 32 gig ram, will it make sense for me to do the upgrade to two banks of 8 gig so I can add two more at a later phase?

Or will buying 4 banks of 8 gig subsequently and ditching the 2 x 4 gig still be more affordable ?

Lastly, for BTO option any brick and mortar shop offers them ???

Xie xie to all seniors !!!
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
Thanks a lot!

If I am going to opt An eventual 32 gig ram, will it make sense for me to do the upgrade to two banks of 8 gig so I can add two more at a later phase?

Or will buying 4 banks of 8 gig subsequently and ditching the 2 x 4 gig still be more affordable ?

Lastly, for BTO option any brick and mortar shop offers them ???

Xie xie to all seniors !!!

BTO options mostly at AOS, some retailers might have BTO machines such as Multimedia Integrated but availability is really dependent on what they have..

You can do a calculation of how much 4 X 8GB of RAM costs as compared to upgrading from 2 X 4GB to 2 X 8GB, and then buying 2 more sticks of 8GB. That will help you make the decision as to whether to stick with 2 X 4GB first or to upgrade to 2 X 8GB through AOS.
 

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,854
Reaction score
716
Thanks a lot!

If I am going to opt An eventual 32 gig ram, will it make sense for me to do the upgrade to two banks of 8 gig so I can add two more at a later phase?

Or will buying 4 banks of 8 gig subsequently and ditching the 2 x 4 gig still be more affordable ?

Lastly, for BTO option any brick and mortar shop offers them ???

Xie xie to all seniors !!!

BTO from authorised resellers takes a long time, they all told me at least 2 weeks to get it done, i tried a few shops, cos i wanted to get the credit card rebates...
in the end, i ordered online, it took only 4 days to get it delivered
i ordered the 1TB storage with fusion drive; + additional 2 x 8GB ram
 

ahmad0410

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
555
Reaction score
0
Hi guys. I've just bought a Macbook Pro with OS Mountain Lion. Previously using Windows notebook. Most of my stuff are on external WD hard drive formatted to NTFS. Is it safe to continue using the hard drive on my mac?

If not what should I do? Almost 1 TB worth of important photography work. Appreciate all help.

Ask this because I remember the last time, an external hard drive I used on windows, then I attach on a mac, become corrupted and reformatted itself.
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
Hi guys. I've just bought a Macbook Pro with OS Mountain Lion. Previously using Windows notebook. Most of my stuff are on external WD hard drive formatted to NTFS. Is it safe to continue using the hard drive on my mac?

If not what should I do? Almost 1 TB worth of important photography work. Appreciate all help.

Ask this because I remember the last time, an external hard drive I used on windows, then I attach on a mac, become corrupted and reformatted itself.

Outside of Mac or Windows, you are recommended, in my opinion, to get a NAS with at least mirror redundancy to store your 1TB worth of photos. It's not a matter of Windows or Mac. It's a matter of storage reliability.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top