[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Great, thanks for the helpful response! I will call them up. :) think that will eliminate any issues.

p.s: i can buy it while it's still under warranty right? no such thing as not being able to buy cos I've had it for 6 months right?

Yes, you can ONLY buy within the 12 months warranty, anything after that will be rejected.
 

ykeen

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jul 31, 2000
Messages
4,635
Reaction score
128
hello all, i got a new 13" MBA from HK last year and I think I need to get it repaired. No issue since its covered till this year. Thing is, I want to get applecare for it, any other recommended places to get it from apart from the online store?

i know they are pushing to sell APP together with new purchases now instead of the usual buy during last month of coverage. is there any other info i should take note of?

i got mine off dandalon :D

MacBook Air (13-inch,Mid 2013)
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
Estimated Expiration Date: June 17, 2016
Learn about Apple's coverage information for your product.
Covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan
The AppleCare Protection Plan is a unique service and support solution that extends the complimentary coverage of your Apple product.
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
I started posting at #1421 at the LGH thread and it goes on to the next page .. my posts are a bit long so bear with it .. ;)

Hahaha my goodness, i'm curious on their reply, what's the link to this LGH thread? LOL

no matter what computer, be it a mac or windows, isolating Hardware or software is the same. install a fresh OS and nothing else, if issue persists, it's a confirmed HW fault.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,478
Reaction score
3,162
1. how to create global hotkey to launch an app from any place? I tried to use Automator to create a service to launch app, and assign a short key to that service, but it only works in Finder...

2. Safari, how to auto-hide Bookmark bar when clicked a bookmark?

3. Any Safari extension to support quick URL access? something like I can assign letter 'g' to Google search, letter '4d' to Singaporepool 4d result page, then I just type 4d in URL and it will auto complete full URL. Chrome has this feature builtin, not sure if it is available in Safari.

bettertouchtool can create global shortcut hotkeys, gestures n much more.
great piece of free software!
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
I started posting at #1421 at the LGH thread and it goes on to the next page .. my posts are a bit long so bear with it .. ;)

Wow, those are really long posts.
I'm curious, were you just facing slow OS installation?
Or slowness even after a fresh copy of OS installed?
Normal symptoms will be spinning beachball appearing on cursor a lot when u open any applications.

If they cant replicate it, show them those symptoms.

What you can try is calling to AppleCare, informed the advisor that you have a warranty with courts and they have checked and found no issues with the HW. But u are still having performance issue after an erase and installation.

Request them for an exception for an Apple Authorised Service Provider to diagnose the computer - QCD or aLab.

Inform them that if they detect any hardware fault, you will bring it back to courts for neccessary repairs with the report given. So technically this is not a repair exception, just the HW diagnostics.

For this exception, you will need to be transferred to a senior advisor.

Apple is usually kind enough to provide such exception, just be kind to the advisor and return him/her the favour by replying the email survey with a good feedback.
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
Just a short question, I have a MBP 13" Retina, is it a must to apply screen protector? Will the screen be easily scratched? Its my first macbook so trying to keep it as good condition as possible. :D

please do not apply a screen protector to your retina... you will regret it
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
Wow, those are really long posts.
I'm curious, were you just facing slow OS installation?
Or slowness even after a fresh copy of OS installed?
Normal symptoms will be spinning beachball appearing on cursor a lot when u open any applications.

If they cant replicate it, show them those symptoms.

What you can try is calling to AppleCare, informed the advisor that you have a warranty with courts and they have checked and found no issues with the HW. But u are still having performance issue after an erase and installation.

Request them for an exception for an Apple Authorised Service Provider to diagnose the computer - QCD or aLab.

Inform them that if they detect any hardware fault, you will bring it back to courts for neccessary repairs with the report given. So technically this is not a repair exception, just the HW diagnostics.

For this exception, you will need to be transferred to a senior advisor.

Apple is usually kind enough to provide such exception, just be kind to the advisor and return him/her the favour by replying the email survey with a good feedback.

I really think Challenger has no idea how to maintain/repair/diagnose a mac, even AASP has issues
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
Why is majority avoiding SP? I'm not applying it anymore as adviced in the previous post. :s22:

1) it's a beautiful screen on it's own, why stick a plastic on it? Plus it's glass, dirt can be wiped off

2) sticking the plastic might leave some residue which makes it a pain to remove if you choose to remove the plastic
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
please do not apply a screen protector to your retina... you will regret it

Woah almost went to buy and apply for my 6 month old rMBP :s13:

Really no screen protector that doesn't interfere with the clarity of the screen?

Actually come to think of it the only time my finger gets in contact is when there is some airborne stain on it while wiping it down with microfibre cloth..

other than that I don't think we actually get in contact with it a lot like our phones.. so I guess there's nothing really to worry about.

If you're a rugged user then maybe the toughbook is more your style hahah.
 

yawen94

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2012
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
My macbook Pro late 2011 with applecare had white spot on LCD. Do they change the LCD for me?
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
OS installation is slow. even if I managed to install the OS, the laptop still lags. for example, when I log in, it takes a minute or 2 before, I can see the desktop. When I click any of the icons, it takes a while to open. take note that it's a freshly installed OS.

as for the symptoms, I did show it to them and they did say that they'll still look into this.

Wow, those are really long posts.
I'm curious, were you just facing slow OS installation?
Or slowness even after a fresh copy of OS installed?
Normal symptoms will be spinning beachball appearing on cursor a lot when u open any applications.

If they cant replicate it, show them those symptoms.

What you can try is calling to AppleCare, informed the advisor that you have a warranty with courts and they have checked and found no issues with the HW. But u are still having performance issue after an erase and installation.

Request them for an exception for an Apple Authorised Service Provider to diagnose the computer - QCD or aLab.

Inform them that if they detect any hardware fault, you will bring it back to courts for neccessary repairs with the report given. So technically this is not a repair exception, just the HW diagnostics.

For this exception, you will need to be transferred to a senior advisor.

Apple is usually kind enough to provide such exception, just be kind to the advisor and return him/her the favour by replying the email survey with a good feedback.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,478
Reaction score
3,162
OS installation is slow. even if I managed to install the OS, the laptop still lags. for example, when I log in, it takes a minute or 2 before, I can see the desktop. When I click any of the icons, it takes a while to open. take note that it's a freshly installed OS.

as for the symptoms, I did show it to them and they did say that they'll still look into this.

did u check yr hdd? maybe bad sectors. check e hdd s.m.a.r.t attributes also.
 

runningman123

Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
Hi my 2011 MacBook Pro died on me so I decided to buy one new one but which one is more suitable for me?mainly I used it to watch movies online and download movies.
So which retina MacBook Pro 13 inch high end or MacBook Pro 15 inch low end is suitable for me?
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
Hi my 2011 MacBook Pro died on me so I decided to buy one new one but which one is more suitable for me?mainly I used it to watch movies online and download movies.
So which retina MacBook Pro 13 inch high end or MacBook Pro 15 inch low end is suitable for me?

just get an air lar...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top