[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

leeguochen

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2013
Messages
595
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I am staying in singapore, trying to buy an iTunes card specifically for Australia. How can I do it? I tried to register under Australia iTunes for my computer iTunes but the credit card details keeps getting rejected, they said it's not a valid card in Australia even though mine is a visa. Anyone can help?? It's urgent. Thanks. 96229003
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Hi guys, I am staying in singapore, trying to buy an iTunes card specifically for Australia. How can I do it? I tried to register under Australia iTunes for my computer iTunes but the credit card details keeps getting rejected, they said it's not a valid card in Australia even though mine is a visa. Anyone can help?? It's urgent. Thanks. 96229003

Itunes will check where the credit card is issued in. Unless it is issued in Australia, it will be a no go. Your next best option is to buy a Australia iTunes gift card from ebay or similar.
 

StanII

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,712
Reaction score
30
do you guys recommend using a keyboard protector, palm guard, screen protector for rMBP?

Thanks.
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
i don't bother, will just stain your screen. at most a microfibre cloth on the keyboard and that's it
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
do you guys recommend using a keyboard protector, palm guard, screen protector for rMBP?

Thanks.

Your MBP screen is already protected by a layer of glass. It is not required for further protection. I have used my MBP for 5+ years and not a single scratch. I wipe it from time to time using soap and water. I use anything from lint free cloth to tissue paper.

Keyboard protector is not good for the laptop because some of the heat will be dissipated through the keyboard and also the surrounding metal chassis. Those rubber protectors will trap heat.

Palm guard is good to have because from long usage, the dirt on your hands will get trapped on the surface. It is easier to rub away. I have been using moshi one for years and still do not have any visible patches of wear and tear due to friction from the palm. From time to time I will wipe it with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the dirt.
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
Your MBP screen is already protected by a layer of glass. It is not required for further protection. I have used my MBP for 5+ years and not a single scratch. I wipe it from time to time using soap and water. I use anything from lint free cloth to tissue paper.

Keyboard protector is not good for the laptop because some of the heat will be dissipated through the keyboard and also the surrounding metal chassis. Those rubber protectors will trap heat.

Palm guard is good to have because from long usage, the dirt on your hands will get trapped on the surface. It is easier to rub away. I have been using moshi one for years and still do not have any visible patches of wear and tear due to friction from the palm. From time to time I will wipe it with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the dirt.

Just a matter of technicality: On the RMBP, the glass of the display is the LCD itself. There is no additional layer of glass like the older notebooks. I believe this is the same with the MBA too.

Keyboard protector hinders heat dissipation a little. However, if you mind oil on the key caps a lot, and/or your fingers are oily... then not much choice. :) I'm both (mind the oil and fingers are oily...).
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Just a matter of technicality: On the RMBP, the glass of the display is the LCD itself. There is no additional layer of glass like the older notebooks. I believe this is the same with the MBA too.

Keyboard protector hinders heat dissipation a little. However, if you mind oil on the key caps a lot, and/or your fingers are oily... then not much choice. :) I'm both (mind the oil and fingers are oily...).

Yup you are right about the RMBP not having the cover glass. I don't think MBA has any cover glass nor the LCD has glass attached to the elements.

I have been using silicons keyboards in the past and found the heat dissipation issue. So it's up to you guys. If you are constantly working in an air-con environment, it shouldn't be a big issue, if not, it might be.
 

StanII

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,712
Reaction score
30
Thanks guys for the feedback, will consider a radtech cloth to put on the keyboard before I close my screen
 

weird

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys for the feedback, will consider a radtech cloth to put on the keyboard before I close my screen

I have been using Radtech clothes for quite 3-4 years.
Using that to wipe the screen and keyboard every time I use it. Its very nice.

I have also use keyboard protector cos I dont like my keyboard to be "shiny"
 

RazerUser

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Anyone had issues with USB ports not being detected at all? On late 2012 Macbook Pro here 8,2 model

I was quoted 900+ for motherboard replacement with the same stock that gave a lot of other issues in the past...
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Anyone had issues with USB ports not being detected at all? On late 2012 Macbook Pro here 8,2 model

I was quoted 900+ for motherboard replacement with the same stock that gave a lot of other issues in the past...

IMHO, not worth to replace 2yo mobo. you are better off getting a refurbished set.
 

weird

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
0
I noticed that if i surf web on safari and never close it, those website will also appear in my iPhone.

Is it possible to do it with Firefox instead? I dont really like Safari.:s13:
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
I noticed that if i surf web on safari and never close it, those website will also appear in my iPhone.

Is it possible to do it with Firefox instead? I dont really like Safari.:s13:

it sync through iCloud.

for firefox, u can use plug in to sync across desktops like xmark, but not sure for firefox to safari.

on mac, I dun like firefox, it is very slow, i prefer safari or chrome.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
I noticed that if i surf web on safari and never close it, those website will also appear in my iPhone.

Is it possible to do it with Firefox instead? I dont really like Safari.:s13:

Chrome have that feature as well and I use Chrome as my primary browser for my mac, iphone and ipad.

Requires u to sign in to your google account on these devices though.
 

JinYuan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
0
I have been using Radtech clothes for quite 3-4 years.
Using that to wipe the screen and keyboard every time I use it. Its very nice.

I have also use keyboard protector cos I dont like my keyboard to be "shiny"
where can i find Radtech cloth in sg?
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
do you guys recommend using a keyboard protector, palm guard, screen protector for rMBP?

Thanks.

I use cheapo screen protector (from qoo10) and those silicon type keyboard "protector".

Screen protector --> I have kids, so it's a form of protection against their fingers.
Keyboard protector --> in case of spills from kids (kids again?!) and also to add some colours. I don't like typing on those things though...

I also have those hard case protector on the outside to prevent scratches to the surfaces. Everything cheapo qoo10 stuff. :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top