[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
for my case, it was the silicon keyboard protector which made marks on the screen

luckily i have a cheapo screen protector too. =:p
 

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
14,971
Reaction score
1,161
Anyone got a spare Thunderbolt/Mini DISPLAY -> DVI adaptor to SIC for me to try out with my monitor before I buy one? :3



Edit: Anyone confirm that I can actually just return it within 14 days if it does not work?
 
Last edited:

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Anyone got a spare Thunderbolt/Mini DISPLAY -> DVI adaptor to SIC for me to try out with my monitor before I buy one? :3



Edit: Anyone confirm that I can actually just return it within 14 days if it does not work?

you can return if you bought directly from apple website. You have to keep the original packaging and you have to pay for the postage to send it back to them.

what are you worried about? What do you need to try out?
 

LaoJiaoLaoGao

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
7,012
Reaction score
0
Anyone got a spare Thunderbolt/Mini DISPLAY -> DVI adaptor to SIC for me to try out with my monitor before I buy one? :3



Edit: Anyone confirm that I can actually just return it within 14 days if it does not work?

i just bought one from Qoo10. Cheap and good. So far so good. price is around SGD10 with shipping. my believe is that this kind of adaptors no need to buy from apple store. there are sufficient third party items that does the job just as well and at a lower cost.
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
you can return if you bought directly from apple website. You have to keep the original packaging and you have to pay for the postage to send it back to them.

what are you worried about? What do you need to try out?

The return postage is free. They'll send a courier to pick up FOC. I've done that more than once.
 

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
14,971
Reaction score
1,161
you can return if you bought directly from apple website. You have to keep the original packaging and you have to pay for the postage to send it back to them.

what are you worried about? What do you need to try out?

I'm worried that the adaptor does not detect the native resolution of my monitor. i don't want the hassle to deal with such things
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,770
Reaction score
1,339
I'm worried that the adaptor does not detect the native resolution of my monitor. i don't want the hassle to deal with such things

Dude, then you just bring your monitor to the apple store and try it there. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
I'm worried that the adaptor does not detect the native resolution of my monitor. i don't want the hassle to deal with such things


unless you have a monitor with special resolution, this will never be a problem as you are connecting by DVI.

anyways, you can easily "force" your mac to output any resolution you want.

DVI is very old tech, don't worry so much.
 

rookierocky

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
7,358
Reaction score
1
Your MBP screen is already protected by a layer of glass. It is not required for further protection. I have used my MBP for 5+ years and not a single scratch. I wipe it from time to time using soap and water. I use anything from lint free cloth to tissue paper.

Keyboard protector is not good for the laptop because some of the heat will be dissipated through the keyboard and also the surrounding metal chassis. Those rubber protectors will trap heat.

Palm guard is good to have because from long usage, the dirt on your hands will get trapped on the surface. It is easier to rub away. I have been using moshi one for years and still do not have any visible patches of wear and tear due to friction from the palm. From time to time I will wipe it with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the dirt.

the moishi palmguard does it scratches the screen?
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
the moishi palmguard does it scratches the screen?

Never did mine. But I'm not using RMBP, mine Unibody MBP has a larger clearance between the Screen and the keyboard. In all cases, I always use my foam separator that came with the MBP when I close the screen for storage.
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
i just bought one from Qoo10. Cheap and good. So far so good. price is around SGD10 with shipping. my believe is that this kind of adaptors no need to buy from apple store. there are sufficient third party items that does the job just as well and at a lower cost.

haha, same here.
I had to intention to get this adapter and stack another DVI to VGA adaptor (existing asset) together if I ever need VGA. Turns out the VGA portion will not work. Monitor and rMBP detects input / output, but monitor does not display anything. Maybe the 3rd party adaptors left out the VGA connections within (only left the pins outside?).

Just sharing here in case anyone has the same intention. :s13:

The DP mini to DVI works well though. :)
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
The return postage is free. They'll send a courier to pick up FOC. I've done that more than once.

it was years back and they specifically told me to send it back though local post and they given sent the address label to my email.

maybe they see the worth of the items, or maybe they change now. I dunno. anyway, postage for my items not expensive, few bucks only.
 

Bryson

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1,547
Reaction score
0
I'm using the rMBP with 128GB of storage, I have a external HDD 1TB, can I leave it connected to my MBP and use it to extend memory space? Will it spoil the usb hub or anything I should take note? Thank you!
 

aamaterasu

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
41
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a mac air 8gb ram but it would cost 1.4k. The rMBP with 8gb base ram only cost 1.55k which would make it a steal. Previously it was just 4gb base ram so what you would guys suggest?

I was thinking either the min spec mac air refur at 1.1k?

i dont really do programming but I guess a min spec mba is good for day to day usage and some photoshop?
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a mac air 8gb ram but it would cost 1.4k. The rMBP with 8gb base ram only cost 1.55k which would make it a steal. Previously it was just 4gb base ram so what you would guys suggest?

I was thinking either the min spec mac air refur at 1.1k?

i dont really do programming but I guess a min spec mba is good for day to day usage and some photoshop?

I wrote a blog post last year. MacBook Buying Guide | Zit Seng's Blog

Imho, choice between MBA and RMBP may come down to your portability requirements.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a mac air 8gb ram but it would cost 1.4k. The rMBP with 8gb base ram only cost 1.55k which would make it a steal. Previously it was just 4gb base ram so what you would guys suggest?

I was thinking either the min spec mac air refur at 1.1k?

i dont really do programming but I guess a min spec mba is good for day to day usage and some photoshop?

what is day to day usage? surf net? play game?

photoshop how serious? work? play? just adjust colour?

what is more important to you? battery life or CPU power?
 

WindJammer

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
481
Reaction score
2
Hi,
Can anyone confirm how many spatial streams does the rMBP 15" refreshed version has? Only know its using wireless AC.:s22:
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Is there a way to add password protection to individual applications? I know there are paid apps available for this, but are there any free ways?

examples:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/49881/ilock
Mac App Blocker

free way, create a folder in your applications and move the apps you want to lock there and then change the folder permissions. you can hide it or remove all users, when add back need your admin password.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top