[Official] DVB-T2 USB/PCI-E/PCI TV Tuner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,617
Reaction score
194
I now own the following DVB-T2/DVB-C USB sticks, a summary comparison follows:

1. TBS 5220. The most expensive, around USD$50. Under Linux, need to use TBS driver which is not in mainline kernel. Will drop 'dead' sometimes and have to restart OS.

2. Geniatech/Mygica T230. Most stable under Linux and driver in mainline kernel since 3.19. Middle tier price around USD$22.

3. Astrometa version 2. Newest purchase below USD$20. Couldn't get it to work under Linux despite kernel support. BDA driver in Windows 8 and TVR app works fairly well. BDA driver means third party PVR software works. For most people who use Windows OS, this is the obvious choice since it is cheapest and has BDA drivers for DVB-T2 and DVB-C support.

What is the accompany TV app for TBS and Astrometa? And does the software work with any of the 3 TV stick?
 

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
What is the accompany TV app for TBS and Astrometa? And does the software work with any of the 3 TV stick?

Astrometa provide TVR and TBS provide TBSViewer. I only use TVR. TBS 5220 is installed in my tvheadend server so no need for TBSViewer.
 

tanyj82

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
168
Reaction score
21
All expert out there

Needed some help in getting correct receiver. I bought a few non branded receiver but non of them work with kodi. So if you can suggest or recommend on a cheap receive will be good.

I will need the receiver to work with kodi which mean I can view/change channel from kodi and record for it. (so far the one i have does not recognize by kodi :( )
Based on this map http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/ my area is green. Does it mean i can get DVB-T2 signal from starhub scv port ? if not i need to it support DVB-C too. Will need DVB-T2 ready for future proof
Device need to be USB and I am running windows 7/10.
dual channel preferred but optional.
composite input preferred but optional(need to record from mio tv).

Does Geniatech/Mygica T230 or Astrometa version 2 meet my requirement?
i dont mind buying from aliexpress/ebay.
 
Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
2,916
Reaction score
23
All expert out there

Needed some help in getting correct receiver. I bought a few non branded receiver but non of them work with kodi. So if you can suggest or recommend on a cheap receive will be good.

I will need the receiver to work with kodi which mean I can view/change channel from kodi and record for it. (so far the one i have does not recognize by kodi :( )
Based on this map http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/ my area is green. Does it mean i can get DVB-T2 signal from starhub scv port ? if not i need to it support DVB-C too. Will need DVB-T2 ready for future proof
Device need to be USB and I am running windows 7/10.
dual channel preferred but optional.
composite input preferred but optional(need to record from mio tv).

Does Geniatech/Mygica T230 or Astrometa version 2 meet my requirement?
i dont mind buying from aliexpress/ebay.
For digital signal, SCV point only carries dvb-c, no dvb-t2.

To receive dvb-t2 signal, you need an indoor antenna. Depending on your luck, some MATV, eg HDB and condo, also carry dvb-t2 signal.
 

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
Needed some help in getting correct receiver. I bought a few non branded receiver but non of them work with kodi. So if you can suggest or recommend on a cheap receive will be good.

I will need the receiver to work with kodi which mean I can view/change channel from kodi and record for it. (so far the one i have does not recognize by kodi :( )
Based on this map http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/ my area is green. Does it mean i can get DVB-T2 signal from starhub scv port ? if not i need to it support DVB-C too. Will need DVB-T2 ready for future proof
Device need to be USB and I am running windows 7/10.
dual channel preferred but optional.
composite input preferred but optional(need to record from mio tv).

Does Geniatech/Mygica T230 or Astrometa version 2 meet my requirement?

Q: If you already have mio tv, that's digital TV already, why do you need DVB-t2 stick? Unless you plan to terminate mio tv at a later date.
Composite input probably means Astrometa ver 3.

In DVB-T2/DVB-C, 1 single mux carries many channels. 3 mux will cover all Mediacorp DVB-T2 channels. You can watch/record all channels from a single mux so dual channel is covered within the single mux. You'll need more than 1 stick to cover more mux.

Kodi doesn't work directly with any DVB stick, you need a PVR backend like NextPVR or tvheadend to interface with the DVB stick. Kodi PVR client then talks to the PVR backend to allow watching/recording/EPG. What's the brand/model/picture of your no-name DVB stick? Have you installed the Windows drivers for it?
 

tanyj82

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
168
Reaction score
21
Q: If you already have mio tv, that's digital TV already, why do you need DVB-t2 stick? Unless you plan to terminate mio tv at a later date.
Composite input probably means Astrometa ver 3.

In DVB-T2/DVB-C, 1 single mux carries many channels. 3 mux will cover all Mediacorp DVB-T2 channels. You can watch/record all channels from a single mux so dual channel is covered within the single mux. You'll need more than 1 stick to cover more mux.

Kodi doesn't work directly with any DVB stick, you need a PVR backend like NextPVR or tvheadend to interface with the DVB stick. Kodi PVR client then talks to the PVR backend to allow watching/recording/EPG. What's the brand/model/picture of your no-name DVB stick? Have you installed the Windows drivers for it?

Yes, plan to terminate Mio Tv in future date.Moving to Netflix Singapore(Expect to start this year). Also I cannot control the recording channel for Mio Tv. So PVR would be better choice.

So Astrometa ver 3 will cover composite/DVB-C/DVB-T2 should covers eveything i need right. Can buy another stick for second channel in future.

Yes the DVB stick work on its own software but not showing in NextPVR. It as no brand shows so I cant tell.

Thanks for sharing
For digital signal, SCV point only carries dvb-c, no dvb-t2.

To receive dvb-t2 signal, you need an indoor antenna. Depending on your luck, some MATV, eg HDB and condo, also carry dvb-t2 signal.
 

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
Elsewhere in this thread, people have tried Geniatech/Mygica PT360 in Windows and it worked. Russians seem to have figured it out first.

I was curious of the converse: Can Mygica T230 work in Android?
Afterall T230 typically sells at a cheaper price than PT360.

So I tried it, got hold of a micro-USB OTG cable to connect my T230 to my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, installed PadTV HD from Play Store and no errors were reported. Did a channel scan for Singapore and 7 channels showed up. I used the T230's provided antenna for this test.

It worked! EPG and watching TV worked. Will test recording next.

EDIT: Recording worked too
 
Last edited:

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
So Astrometa ver 3 will cover composite/DVB-C/DVB-T2 should covers eveything i need right. Can buy another stick for second channel in future.
liangtam was the one who first tested this version and reported composite-in is available for this stick. He didn't report back on testing this function though.
 

tanyj82

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
168
Reaction score
21
Last edited:

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
Elsewhere in this thread, people have tried Geniatech/Mygica PT360 in Windows and it worked. Russians seem to have figured it out first.

I was curious of the converse: Can Mygica T230 work in Android?
Afterall T230 typically sells at a cheaper price than PT360.

So I tried it, got hold of a micro-USB OTG cable to connect my T230 to my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, installed PadTV HD from Play Store and no errors were reported. Did a channel scan for Singapore and 7 channels showed up. I used the T230's provided antenna for this test.

It worked! EPG and watching TV worked. Will test recording next.

EDIT: Recording worked too

EDIT2: Russians beat me to try this first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoEPSJpuYz0
 

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
Is this consider astrometa ? how to know it's version ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Digi...62,searchweb201560_1,searchweb1451318400_6149

Thanks again

Infact, i prefer Mygica T230. i dont mind left out the composite input.. does Mygica T230 works with kodi ?

This looks like Astrometa ver 2 but cannot confirm until you open up the casing. I only tried Total Media in Windows with T230 and not kodi. My preferred setup is the kodi PVR backend on Linux with T230.
 

kun1he2

Master Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
3,744
Reaction score
182
Anyone encountering bad signal quality with HD5 via Starhub's DVB-C?
All FTA channels on DVB-C looks great except for HD5.

I'm using MyGica T230 with NextPVR.
 

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
Anyone encountering bad signal quality with HD5 via Starhub's DVB-C?
All FTA channels on DVB-C looks great except for HD5.

I'm using MyGica T230 with NextPVR.

No quality issue with HD5, TBS 5220 with tvheadend and kodi client.
 

Sambuca78

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2001
Messages
6,994
Reaction score
478
Elsewhere in this thread, people have tried Geniatech/Mygica PT360 in Windows and it worked. Russians seem to have figured it out first.

I was curious of the converse: Can Mygica T230 work in Android?
Afterall T230 typically sells at a cheaper price than PT360.

So I tried it, got hold of a micro-USB OTG cable to connect my T230 to my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, installed PadTV HD from Play Store and no errors were reported. Did a channel scan for Singapore and 7 channels showed up. I used the T230's provided antenna for this test.

It worked! EPG and watching TV worked. Will test recording next.

EDIT: Recording worked too

I tried PT360 with Asus T100 windows 8/10, but it crashed. :(

Is there any particular window driver to use?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top