[Official] SSD/HDD/RAM queries

Gammarax

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
164
Reaction score
0
Upgrading a Macbook [SSD, RAM, etc.] questions

Hi guys,

I'd just like to know, how easy is it to upgrade Macbook specifications? My friend has a black macbook (limited edition) which she still enjoys using, but I was wondering how it could be sped up.

I'm currently thinking of:

1. Adding more RAM
2. Replacing the HD to a SSD one

Would anyone here have any info on how difficult this will be and about how much it will cost?

Thanks in advance! :)
 

Gammarax

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
164
Reaction score
0
Hi kenny,

Thanks so much for the website! I did my own googling and for some reason that didn't come up, haha.

I'll definitely try this out. On a related question, has anyone encountered fatal problems replacing the HD of a macbook? I don't want to render my friend's macbook unusable by replacing her HD to a SSD one. =))
 

nicky9499

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
2,290
Reaction score
4
Yea bought a laptop from Amazon recently. tracking said "processing at sg custom" for 4 days I dulan call those ICA dogs, end up they detain it cause neh pay tax and they diam diam some more. :mad:
 

coderulez

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
Yea bought a laptop from Amazon recently. tracking said "processing at sg custom" for 4 days I dulan call those ICA dogs, end up they detain it cause neh pay tax and they diam diam some more. :mad:
lol, maybe they wan confiscated ur laptop permanently
 

sevensomerset

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
17,564
Reaction score
125
I have found a supplier for Hynix 2GB sticks, 1333MHz. Anyone interested? Can try to bring in in bulk then will be cheaper. Estimate around US$60/pc.

Edit: shipping included.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

I'm confuse... isn't MacBook use 1066 RAM?
1333 RAM will cause some problem, right? like heat problem....
MacBook can overclock? wats the point to use 1066?
 

blackmamba09

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
643
Reaction score
0
You can get yours at http://www.simplymac.sg/home/?page_id=4&category=1. In the unlikely event of failure, the exchange will be quick too. :)

I haven't had any problems with mine after using it on my previous 13" and current 15". Some people have reported problems with hibernate/sleep mode. Just request that your firmware be flashed to 310. Mine's on 343 but I don't have a problem with that.
 

devilcm3

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
2,337
Reaction score
0
You can get yours at http://www.simplymac.sg/home/?page_id=4&category=1. In the unlikely event of failure, the exchange will be quick too. :)

I haven't had any problems with mine after using it on my previous 13" and current 15". Some people have reported problems with hibernate/sleep mode. Just request that your firmware be flashed to 310. Mine's on 343 but I don't have a problem with that.

is it in SGD or USD?
 

wakao82

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Messages
2,020
Reaction score
0
Contact Kaira?

http://www.strontium.biz/company/distributors.htm

While you're at it, could you do me a favour and check for the latest 2x4GB 1333Mhz ones too, for the latest MBPs? Thanks! =)

/Dan
hey leinad

i juz bought my rams from pk computers ... they are selling $89 for PC1333MHZ rams also.

so 2 should be arnd $178 ... though i dunno will have discount if getting 2 ... but i think u better buy at IT show coz they will allow trade in there ...
 

wakao82

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Messages
2,020
Reaction score
0
hi leinad

if i wan to change my hdd for my mbp, is WD good? and i took a look at my current factory HDD, it has 4 nuts screwed to the 2 sides, that i knw is needed for the replacement hdd ... but it is damm hard to remove ... any idea how to remove them more easily?
 

wakao82

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Messages
2,020
Reaction score
0
For the Unibody MBPs, it is much easier to replace the HDD. My Pre-Unibody 15" MBP had more than 20 screws! However, I've managed to replace the HDD to a WD Black Scorpio 500GB last month!

I suppose you can purchase the items in SLSQ and take your time to replace the items at home. Just slowly and steadily! :)
hey dude, i knw that replacing the hdd requires to replace the 4 nut screws by the side, i tried to unscrew but it seems quite hard, did u manage to replace it?
 

dskjt1050

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
you can replace the SATA drive to SSD right?
wonder how fast my macbook would be with SSD..
 

abuddlah

Banned
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
2,619
Reaction score
0
Macbook Pro RAM

Hey guys, I just bought a Macbook Pro 15inch, I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM to 8GB when my Macbook comes. Just wondering where in Singapore can I get the cheapest and most safe deal?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top