- Joined
- Jan 30, 2023
- Messages
- 6,154
- Reaction score
- 2,974
For those who have signed up, any idea if public IPv4 is assigned, or it's CGNAT? Also any native IPv6?
they are using CGNATFor those who have signed up, any idea if public IPv4 is assigned, or it's CGNAT? Also any native IPv6?
Don't see how hard it is. I was on viewqwest when the ONR broke. Brought it down to exchange then bring home working set to hook up myself and then call them to ensure everything is fine again.
I feel ONT will be easier.





just received an e-mail today from SIMBA
f.y.i. i'm living in Tampines and i do not have a SIMBA mobile plan with them
![]()
contemplating whether to sign-up or not![]()
they never mentioned, because i have yet to make a decision with them.Did they say anything about trial fees or recurring monthly fees? Or zero cost to you?
I also received invitation from SIMBA yesterday, completed the form todayjust received an e-mail today from SIMBA
f.y.i. i'm living in Tampines and i do not have a SIMBA mobile plan with them
![]()
contemplating whether to sign-up or not![]()
For ONT, usually there is nothing to setup. It is a blackbox to the user.
The user will have to set up their own router. Even though the modern day consumer routers (eg: Asus, Netgear, TP-Link and Linksys) are usually very easy to set up, there are many who are scared of setting up their own router and like to have the router provided by the ISP and set up by the ISP during the initial installation.
Thank you for the Other info.Based on some initial test reports, SIMBA is using an ONT with single 2.5G port. It is GPON ONT with download speed up to 2.488 Gbps and upload speed up to 1.244 Gbps.
Real world max speed will probably be around 2.37 Gbps download and 1.18Gbps upload, with a 2.5G capable router. But the inital reports show a bit lower at less than 2Gbps download and 1.1Gbps upload.
Other info:
1) Using CGNAT, no public IPv4 address.
2) No IPv6
3) No digital voice.
You can't do any hosting if you can't obtain a public IP address, such as VPN server, DDNS, game servers, connecting to your QNAP/Synology NASThank you for the Other info.
May I ask what is the impact + or - for points 1 & 2 for existing starhub 1 Gbps user?
Actually for me point 3 is already a showstopper but would still like to understand more about points 1 & 2 if you don't mind educating. Thank you.
Thank you for the Other info.
May I ask what is the impact + or - for points 1 & 2 for existing starhub 1 Gbps user?
Actually for me point 3 is already a showstopper but would still like to understand more about points 1 & 2 if you don't mind educating. Thank you.
I suspect this is connected to the router instead of directly to the ONT or else the speed should be above 2,000 mbps. The other option could be using a lan adapter. I have seen ppl speed (overseas) reaching approx 2,300 mbps download and upload for 2.5GHz.
stated the test was directly connected to the ONT..I suspect this is connected to the router instead of directly to the ONT or else the speed should be above 2,000 mbps. The other option could be using a lan adapter. I have seen ppl speed (overseas) reaching approx 2,300 mbps download and upload for 2.5GHz.
stated the test was directly connected to the ONT..
Just for sharing purposes. I am connecting to the GT-AX6000 router via a AP TPlink wifi6 router (abt $150) and the following are the speed from the web and from the GT-AX 6000 internal speed reading. If I test the direct connection to the ONT, I will be getting abt 940 mbps consistently from the app (open signal). If that is the speed from directly connected to the ONT without using a lan adapter at the pc then I guess Simba will need to fine tune their backend.There is another test report as well -- tested with PC directly connected to the ONT, download about 1.84Gbps and upload at about 1.1Gbps.
This kind of results are probably normal since SIMBA may still need to tune the backend.
The results are also in line with the test results reported by the users of dual 1+1 Gbps plans (M1/Starhub/MyRepublic 2Gbps plan and SingTel 1+1 Gamer bundle) who use dual WAN Load Balancing. Those plans are still much more expensive than S$20 per month.
Another thing, looks like SIMBA is using GPON ONT, so the upload will be limited to 1.244Gbps, half of the download speed limit at 2.488Gbps. Same for those who use the dual 1+1 Gbps plans.