Starhub Giga

Cereal

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
304
Reaction score
4
1. Let’s say I port in my current number from StarHub to giga. In future when I want to leave giga to other telcos, can I port out same number from
Giga to other telcos?
2. Read in Facebook comment that giga! does not support VOLTE. Does it mean I am not able to use WhatsApp call function?
3. Does giga! allow us to set out phone as personal hotspot so that I can connect my laptop to the internet?

Thanks.
 

tek888

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
191
Reaction score
7
1. Let’s say I port in my current number from StarHub to giga. In future when I want to leave giga to other telcos, can I port out same number from
Giga to other telcos?
2. Read in Facebook comment that giga! does not support VOLTE. Does it mean I am not able to use WhatsApp call function?
3. Does giga! allow us to set out phone as personal hotspot so that I can connect my laptop to the internet?

Thanks.

1. Yes

2. Yes...no, u can use WhatsApp call

3. Yes
 

chromehead

Banned
Joined
Oct 11, 2010
Messages
49,705
Reaction score
2,254
duno y my giga keep dropping itself, followed the APN instructions n even factory reset phone already still like that.

tried on my old phone also the same, 4g drop to 3g then to total drop

need to toggle flight mode to reestablish back fast, else for it to find back to 4g will take longer


back then was circles give me consistent 0 data coverage at basements, inside malls generally and certain areas outdoors.. like jurong east bus interchange lol?!

now giga also like that, or is it because i choose $10 plan :s22:
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
duno y my giga keep dropping itself, followed the APN instructions n even factory reset phone already still like that.

tried on my old phone also the same, 4g drop to 3g then to total drop

need to toggle flight mode to reestablish back fast, else for it to find back to 4g will take longer


back then was circles give me consistent 0 data coverage at basements, inside malls generally and certain areas outdoors.. like jurong east bus interchange lol?!

now giga also like that, or is it because i choose $10 plan :s22:

What are the odds that 2 telco have issues versus problem with your phone ?
 

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
19,044
Reaction score
3,676
2. Read in Facebook comment that giga! does not support VOLTE. Does it mean I am not able to use WhatsApp call function?

Thanks.

VoLTE mean you use lte/4g network for phone call instead of 3g. So the cons of no volte is voice not so clear (somebody claim so before) and you cannot surfing internet with 4g speed during your call. To be able to use for volte call, the other party also need to have volte network and phone. Anyway during 3g era nobody have issue with no volte right?

To me is not really big matter for no volte because most of mvno only give limited minutes. You can test the volte call with your phone now by disabling the 4g network and do normal phone call. See if it is acceptable to you.
I rather have robust internet speed and coverage than volte.
 

aphantom

Junior Member
Joined
May 24, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Would like to switch to giga from Singtel

Hey guys i've been thinking of switching over to giga from a Singtel postpaid plan, as i'm very new to this i would like to clarify some things.. thanks in advance

1. I think my contract has ended since the only information i have from the service agreement form is the activation date which is 6th Sept 2018. So i would be able to recontract without informing singtel?

2. I want to take up the $18 40gb popup plan. My next Singtel billing cycle is 15th sept. What is the best step i should take to avoid paying for the 15th sept. Do I make a new number with giga and port in later or opt for the port in now? But does it matter since the delivery of sim card may take awhile (im assuming this)?

Cheers everyone
 

eagleboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
11,746
Reaction score
0
1. You need not require to inform Singtel, will handle by your the provider that you will be porting/signing

2. You can proceed to sign up for the promo and port in at your desire date.

Hey guys i've been thinking of switching over to giga from a Singtel postpaid plan, as i'm very new to this i would like to clarify some things.. thanks in advance

1. I think my contract has ended since the only information i have from the service agreement form is the activation date which is 6th Sept 2018. So i would be able to recontract without informing singtel?

2. I want to take up the $18 40gb popup plan. My next Singtel billing cycle is 15th sept. What is the best step i should take to avoid paying for the 15th sept. Do I make a new number with giga and port in later or opt for the port in now? But does it matter since the delivery of sim card may take awhile (im assuming this)?

Cheers everyone
 

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
19,044
Reaction score
3,676
Hey guys i've been thinking of switching over to giga from a Singtel postpaid plan, as i'm very new to this i would like to clarify some things.. thanks in advance

1. I think my contract has ended since the only information i have from the service agreement form is the activation date which is 6th Sept 2018. So i would be able to recontract without informing singtel?

2. I want to take up the $18 40gb popup plan. My next Singtel billing cycle is 15th sept. What is the best step i should take to avoid paying for the 15th sept. Do I make a new number with giga and port in later or opt for the port in now? But does it matter since the delivery of sim card may take awhile (im assuming this)?

Cheers everyone
Suggest you get the sim only promotion from singtel, it is 20$ with free caller id and 30gb data, 1000min&sms. You can find the secret link from the comparison of sim only plan thread. This plan is only available for recontract customer. Once you port out from singtel, you will not eligible to sign with this price.

Edit: this is the link
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/mobile/eform/simonlyrecontract?utm_source=singtel&utm_medium=2aug_cprecon_edm&utm_campaign=2020_3025https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/mobile/eform/simonlyrecontract?utm_source=singtel&utm_medium=2aug_cprecon_edm&utm_campaign=2020_3025

Singtel still have best overall speed and coverage compare to starhub/giga.
 
Last edited:

aphantom

Junior Member
Joined
May 24, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Reply

Hey thanks for the great suggestion! Seriously considering that now hmm.. I see that the promotion is only for 12 months? Or at least the caller ID is free for 12mths. Would you value this promo over the $18 40gb giga (its a forever plan despite slightly weaker coverage being starhub reception). Or can i expect a similar promo after the 12 mths


Suggest you get the sim only promotion from singtel, it is 20$ with free caller id and 30gb data, 1000min&sms. You can find the secret link from the comparison of sim only plan thread. This plan is only available for recontract customer. Once you port out from singtel, you will not eligible to sign with this price.


Singtel still have best overall speed and coverage compare to starhub/giga.
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
k0RVDhP.jpg


moved from circles
hjgUX6Q.jpg


to giga
mLExBDd.jpg


Didnt know speed was so bad.
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
Erm, shouldnt u use the same app/site to test on both?

same pathetic results
kEzuirg.jpg


Suggest you using Speedtest app instead of running the test via mobile chrome browser for testing.

google results more consistent for me

Wow...your CL previous test results DL speed only achieving 0.35Mbps?? Same location?? :o

the app buggy sometimes first run show slow result. run second time then faster. same location at home
 
Last edited:

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
19,044
Reaction score
3,676
Hey thanks for the great suggestion! Seriously considering that now hmm.. I see that the promotion is only for 12 months? Or at least the caller ID is free for 12mths. Would you value this promo over the $18 40gb giga (its a forever plan despite slightly weaker coverage being starhub reception). Or can i expect a similar promo after the 12 mths
Well nobody know what happen after 12 months, because 5g network will be up by then.
If you happy with singtel coverage, speed, and latency for your usage, you should sign up for the sim only from singtel. Hate to admit, but no doubt singtel network is more superior than starhub/giga. VoLTE from singtel is also bonus point, giga don’t have it. Unless you really need the extra 10gb data offered by giga. What is your avg monthly data usage now?

I wanted to sign for this sim only from singtel, but unable to since i’m not the existing singtel user. That’s why i’m using grid now, same singtel network with less data and talk time.
 

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
for circles life, 20Mbps++ or below is actually the ‘normal’ speed you will get most of the time. I was with them for 9 months so I can confirm.
However, to be fair, the latency is good enough for day to day tasks.

StarHub or Singtel certainly has better coverage and speed than circles life for sure.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top