StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

MarkChenTW

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
0
Tks a lot everyone! I did ask but they said it's star hub issue...Haizzz

Sorry I am really noob abt my IT. I will try to take a snapshot Also. Yellow cable is the one which star hub given to me. Yes, Dlink got guide me to change this n that channel.

Actually juz the signal kept dropping n cannt play game...It somehow disconnected automatically...

well we need more info. and many things can cause this.
 

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
22,625
Reaction score
900
Finally signed up for fibre optics plan with Starhub. My installation is due 31st of Jan.

Some interesting points:

1) The filipino fella who attended to me first told me my home wasnt ready for fibre optics service yet, even though OpenNet said otherwise. Went to reception and got them to double check and presto! It was indeed ready for fibre optics! :mad:

2) They basically shot themselves in the foot by having to waive $40 instead of my initial demand of $20. There was a miscommunication in the midst of transferring ownership of services(personal reasons) and the starhub staff accepted responsibility for the error. $40 was for the cancellation of ONT installation for rebooking, as name had to be changed.

3) Starhub originally allocated me a Huawei HG2365 on the form. Luckily spotted that and straight away requested for the D-Link DVGN54025P, which they acceded to.
 

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,530
Reaction score
2
the DLINK router cannot do port forwarding? :s11:
It can. Just that there is some bugs on some specific ports. Eg. Port 21 forwarding doesn't work in N5204SP with the firmware 1.0 build 43.

Refer to the thread on this router.
 
Last edited:

misato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,148
Reaction score
0
Finally signed up for fibre optics plan with Starhub. My installation is due 31st of Jan.

wow, you must be lucky to get such a early date.
I was told by a few forumer here that waiting for 2 months to your actual installation date is normal.
 

dreamybutterfly

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I think I am so noob or dumb...Sad...

I called star hub n kept asking me to wait for technician to return my calls but a few days Liao still NO NEWS! Haizzzz

Then I called Dlink n ask me change this n that channel, try n try n still get 20-30MBPS even for direct connection. Then 1 cute fellow asked me if I got additional router at home which I have, asked me to connect my DIR 615 n the DvG so i need 2 wireless meh? Also configure here n there n speed still the same.

In the end, I have to call up star hub n told them flatly, pls...I gg crazy to wait for yr calls n I felt so silly to connect 2wireless router n speed still very bad. Moreover, I have to wait so long for someone to pick up the call....I am gg crazy Liao...Lastly, the operator told me that they CAN arrange a technician down n change a new router for me! Aiyo, I pray very hard...Pls hor...

Y should it be so difficult de huh?
 

MarkChenTW

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
0
I think I am so noob or dumb...Sad...

I called star hub n kept asking me to wait for technician to return my calls but a few days Liao still NO NEWS! Haizzzz

Then I called Dlink n ask me change this n that channel, try n try n still get 20-30MBPS even for direct connection. Then 1 cute fellow asked me if I got additional router at home which I have, asked me to connect my DIR 615 n the DvG so i need 2 wireless meh? Also configure here n there n speed still the same.

In the end, I have to call up star hub n told them flatly, pls...I gg crazy to wait for yr calls n I felt so silly to connect 2wireless router n speed still very bad. Moreover, I have to wait so long for someone to pick up the call....I am gg crazy Liao...Lastly, the operator told me that they CAN arrange a technician down n change a new router for me! Aiyo, I pray very hard...Pls hor...

Y should it be so difficult de huh?

not really difficult. just tell them the following and that might end in 1 call...

I did speed test (from starhub utility) and traceroute via your rg direct here are the screenshot where to email them to?
I am willing to see if the RG is having issue. please sent someone down asap to change it.

end of story.. lol the issue is your issues lies in wireless which they can't justify anything on, direct connection is another story.

frustration helps nth. just ask we will tell you what you need and everything would go just fine :)

of course its not a 100% it will solve your issue :/
 

dreamybutterfly

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
not really difficult. just tell them the following and that might end in 1 call...

I did speed test (from starhub utility) and traceroute via your rg direct here are the screenshot where to email them to?
I am willing to see if the RG is having issue. please sent someone down asap to change it.

end of story.. lol the issue is your issues lies in wireless which they can't justify anything on, direct connection is another story.

frustration helps nth. just ask we will tell you what you need and everything would go just fine :)

of course its not a 100% it will solve your issue :/

Tks Mark for being ao kind! Juz tat I am helpless when I cannt use my iPhone or iPad to post pics etc...

The technician will b down 2moro n I get my bro who knows more abt IT to be here so can ask n try to fix the issue.

Actually, today then I know must direct wire to the router n not the nucleus connect modem. Anyway, connect properly also poor signal. The operator says to exchange a router but what happens if it's the huawei modem problem?

The Dlink guy also got abit frustrated with me when he is explaining the home plug cos I dun really understand mah..However, I felt like a fool to also hear his advise to connect 2wireless router to 1modem lor...In the end, the speed also the same.

I guess I was such a noob that when I called star hub, the operator said, can only test on their website! Hey, speed test results also same same lor.

Anyway, I hope my stupid electrician will come n fix my cat6 point in the room ASAP so I can have a wireless router in the room...

Update you once the technician came n rectify the issue...tks ya!
 

heng_alvin

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2001
Messages
882
Reaction score
0
Hmmm... Once on Mixed B/G/N mode, most router's performance drop tremendously.

Highly recommends either pure N mode or at the most mixed G/N mode.

And for your info, the speedtest app for iOS platform has limitation. It isn't designed for accurate testing of fast broadband like FTTH connection. It's designed for 3G and 3.5G mobile network. Notice the cap at 20Mbps on the speedtest app GUI?

Erm,how to ensure both router n device are on pure N mode? thanks,noob in networking here.
 

loony

Member
Joined
May 10, 2000
Messages
497
Reaction score
1
Just had my installation done. But the SE screw up and gave me a Huawei RG for 100Mbps plan....

Here is the results connect using wifi. My laptop is in my study which is 6m away from the RG.

1685139635.png


Thank god the installation quite smooth. Now contemplating whether to get a stronger router to boost the wifi.
 

wengweng

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
361
Reaction score
0
Added Linksys E4200 to Huawei Router but still the same! Wasted money and time and efforts!

Hi

I decided to get the Cisco Linksys E4200 router hoping it would boost the wifi signal for my Starhub Fibre for my house. I had earlier posted here complaining that I could no longer receive any wifi signal in my study and bedroom as the Termination Point is located at my house main door. My house is a 3 bedroom condo and the distance between the bedroom and main door is not that far.

I went to Challenger in Funan and bought a Cisco Linsys E4200 router. I followed the instructions given by the salesman at Challenger. He showed me the instructions prepared by Challenger's IT experts. I did the exact same thing and I would like to seek the advice of experts here whether I did the right thing. There were some problems getting to the setup page (because of lack of Internet access according to the message on the screen) and I spent almost an hour doing it last night before I finally got the thing running. The disappointment was terrible, as the signal strength was the same!

It was a two-step process. Step 1 to configure my Huawei router. Step 2 to connect the E4200 router with the wireless home gateway.

Step 1: I made sure the Huawei was connected to my laptop via any of the LAN ports labeled 1-4. Then I opened my Internet explorer and entered 192.168.1.1 on the address bar.

Then I keyed in "admin" for both the username and password and clicked on Login. I then Logined to the web-based configuration utility. I clicked BASIC and then WLAN in the navigation tree to display the WLAN configuration page. I keyed in the desired wireless network name on the SSID field. I assigned my own wifi password by changing the WPA PRE-SHARED KEY.

Step 2: to connect the Starhub home gateway to the Linksys E4200 Router.

I connected the laptop to one of the ports (1-4) of the D4200. Once the laptop is connected, I launched the web browser Internet explorer and typed in http://192.168.1.1 on the address bar. Then typed admin for both username and password. In the setup page, I changed the LAN IP address of the E4200 from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3. This is supposed to prevent network IP conflict with the Huawei router as it is using also 192.168.1.1. Then I clicked "Saving Settings" to save the changes I made.

Then I accessed again the setup page of the E4200 by typing the IP address that was changed to the address field. Then in the setup page, I clicked on Wireless and then Basic Settings and chose Manual . I made sure that the name in the SSID field is the one being used by Huawei wireless router for seamless roaming. I then clicked Save Settings.

After that, I clicked Wireless Tab and then Wireless security. I made sure that the security mode of the E4200 is the same as the Huawei router for seamless routing. Finally I disabled the DHCP server of the E4200 by going to Setup and then Basic Setup.

After I did all these configurations, I connected the Linsys E4200 to one of the local ports of the Huawei router.

I then tried using my iphone, laptop and also my desktop for which I had bought a Linksys USB AE2500 wireless adapter to connect to the Internet through wifi.

Alas, I found that the strength of the wifi is the same, no difference between having the additional Linksys E4200 router added onto the Huawei and using just the Huawei alone!!! :s27:

And the E4200 is supposed to be very strong and its signal is touted to be able to penetrate walls and go up to second or third level of a house.

Wasted all my money. Perhaps the way I connected the two routers and the configuration used (which I followed exactly according to the instructions given by Challenger Funan) are incorrect or inadequate?

I hope some expert bros here could kindly advise and help?

THANKS a zillion!
 
Last edited:

Frontiers

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
351
Reaction score
0
Hi

I decided to get the Cisco Linksys E4200 router hoping it would boost the wifi signal for my Starhub Fibre for my house. I had earlier posted here complaining that I could no longer receive any wifi signal in my study and bedroom as the Termination Point is located at my house main door. My house is a 3 bedroom condo and the distance between the bedroom and main door is not that far.

I went to Challenger in Funan and bought a Cisco Linsys E4200 router. I followed the instructions given by the salesman at Challenger. He showed me the instructions prepared by Challenger's IT experts. I did the exact same thing and I would like to seek the advice of experts here whether I did the right thing. There were some problems getting to the setup page (because of lack of Internet access according to the message on the screen) and I spent almost an hour doing it last night before I finally got the thing running. The disappointment was terrible, as the signal strength was the same!

It was a two-step process. Step 1 to configure my Huawei router. Step 2 to connect the E4200 router with the wireless home gateway.

Step 1: I made sure the Huawei was connected to my laptop via any of the LAN ports labeled 1-4. Then I opened my Internet explorer and entered 192.168.1.1 on the address bar.

Then I keyed in "admin" for both the username and password and clicked on Login. I then Logined to the web-based configuration utility. I clicked BASIC and then WLAN in the navigation tree to display the WLAN configuration page. I keyed in the desired wireless network name on the SSID field. I assigned my own wifi password by changing the WPA PRE-SHARED KEY.

Step 2: to connect the Starhub home gateway to the Linksys E4200 Router.

I connected the laptop to one of the ports (1-4) of the D4200. Once the laptop is connected, I launched the web browser Internet explorer and typed in http://192.168.1.1 on the address bar. Then typed admin for both username and password. In the setup page, I changed the LAN IP address of the E4200 from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3. This is supposed to prevent network IP conflict with the Huawei router as it is using also 192.168.1.1. Then I clicked "Saving Settings" to save the changes I made.

Then I accessed again the setup page of the E4200 by typing the IP address that was changed to the address field. Then in the setup page, I clicked on Wireless and then Basic Settings and chose Manual . I made sure that the name in the SSID field is the one being used by Huawei wireless router for seamless roaming. I then clicked Save Settings.

After that, I clicked Wireless Tab and then Wireless security. I made sure that the security mode of the E4200 is the same as the Huawei router for seamless routing. Finally I disabled the DHCP server of the E4200 by going to Setup and then Basic Setup.

After I did all these configurations, I connected the Linsys E4200 to one of the local ports of the Huawei router.

I then tried using my iphone, laptop and also my desktop for which I had bought a Linksys USB AE2500 wireless adapter to connect to the Internet through wifi.

Alas, I found that the strength of the wifi is the same, no difference between having the additional Linksys E4200 router added onto the Huawei and using just the Huawei alone!!! :s27:

And the E4200 is supposed to be very strong and its signal is touted to be able to penetrate walls and go up to second or third level of a house.

Wasted all my money. Perhaps the way I connected the two routers and the configuration used (which I followed exactly according to the instructions given by Challenger Funan) are incorrect or inadequate?

I hope some expert bros here could kindly advise and help?

THANKS a zillion!

nv finish readin...

juz like i think you did not do enough research and got yourself a crappy internal antenna router
 

MarkChenTW

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
0
nv finish readin...

juz like i think you did not do enough research and got yourself a crappy internal antenna router

same to you I can't bring myself to finish reading it. btw just change the SSID of the linksys and connect to it to test first.
 

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
38,896
Reaction score
251
Signal and resultant is very dependent on where you place your AP as well as your receiving wireless adapter. E4200 wifi is decent, so unfortunately its either you move or you run the wire and put the linksys elsewhere, either more centrally or preferable nearer to your pc

More "powerful" ap, "boost" etc are not effective solutions when inplement one sided
 
Last edited:

NHT

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2001
Messages
1,437
Reaction score
0
Just had my installation done. But the SE screw up and gave me a Huawei RG for 100Mbps plan....

Here is the results connect using wifi. My laptop is in my study which is 6m away from the RG.

1685139635.png


Thank god the installation quite smooth. Now contemplating whether to get a stronger router to boost the wifi.

you can still call them to change if you are not satisified with the huawei performance since you are on 100Mbps.
 

NHT

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2001
Messages
1,437
Reaction score
0
Hi

I decided to get the Cisco Linksys E4200 router hoping it would boost the wifi signal for my Starhub Fibre for my house. I had earlier posted here complaining that I could no longer receive any wifi signal in my study and bedroom as the Termination Point is located at my house main door. My house is a 3 bedroom condo and the distance between the bedroom and main door is not that far.

maybe you sh. read & try out bro marinex's steps in the first post in this thread.

Connection:
(ONT) LAN Port 1 -> (HG256s ) WAN Port
(HG256s) LAN Port 1 -> (router E4200) WAN Port

DHCP LAN: Disabled on Huawei RG HG256s (if you want to connect devices as well on the Huawei RG HG256s, do not disable this)
DMZ: Configure DMZ of your router WAN IP @ 192.168.1.2 in Huawei RG HG256s
 

MarkChenTW

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
0
Signal and resultant is very dependent on where you place your AP as well as your receiving wireless adapter. E4200 wifi is decent, so unfortunately its either you move or you run the wire and put the linksys elsewhere, either more centrally or preferable nearer to your pc

More "powerful" ap, "boost" etc are not effective solutions when inplement one sided

I suspect he is not even on the new router :/
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top