Syfe REIT+

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i realized the fact sheet for iEdge Sreit Leaders index has 26 REITS.

However Syfe only has 20 REITs in REITS+ portfolio..

Anyone knows the reason for excluding 6 REITS?
https://help.syfe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054576714-How-does-Syfe-REIT-work-
Syfe REIT+ is a Singapore REIT portfolio that tracks the SGX’s iEdge S-REIT Leaders Index. The index measures the performance of the most liquid REITs in Singapore.

REIT+ invests in 20 of Singapore’s largest REITs. Designed for investors seeking passive income, you’ll get exposure to REITs like Mapletree Commercial Trust, CapitaLand Integrated Commercial Trust, Ascendas REIT and more.

As to their exact rationale, not mentioned.

Kojo0403

Reaction score
i see. so it does not seek to fully track the index then. a little bit of active than passive

dappermen

Banned
Reaction score
as i mentioend abv, i m rather disapted w Syfe reits, anyone still holding to this blindly?

the last column is Syfe! nt Only it cant outperform the rest , it is with too MUch volatility! too much
image-1.png

blindly imitatg the Iedge doesnt help! https://www.sgx.com/indices/products/sreitlsp#Product Information

some ask why m i wdrawg / transf out of my SYfe reits?
which is why i told u i will cut Reits More
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...alanced-journal.6491191/page-5#post-135680086
I m slowly shifting out some portion out of syfe
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...alanced-journal.6491191/page-5#post-135735356
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...pdates-part-3.5575909/page-223#post-135836173

https://endowus.com/insights/webina...g+7pm&utm_campaign=100821-Webinar-China250821
Comparison-s-reits-other-markets-market-cap.PNG

Last edited:

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So you're using one years worth of data, collated by a direct competitor, and using that as the reason for moving out of reits+?

Just one question. Instead of one years worth of data, have you done your own due diligence to at least track how the various funds have been doing over the past 5, 10, 20 years?

Disclaimer: I actually intend to move out of reits+, but for an entirely different reason altogether.

Kojo0403

Reaction score
So you're using one years worth of data, collated by a direct competitor, and using that as the reason for moving out of reits+?

Just one question. Instead of one years worth of data, have you done your own due diligence to at least track how the various funds have been doing over the past 5, 10, 20 years?

Disclaimer: I actually intend to move out of reits+, but for an entirely different reason altogether.
agreed..
Endowus has gotten rather agressive lately in bashing their competitors.
including nasty remark at FSMone when they reduce their fees to 0.30%. not very professional.

dappermen

Banned
Reaction score
diff pp has diff needs & profile, to ea his own
Why is there a need to find a same reason?
Who has nt done their due diligence/ some funds r Not evn 1 yr old

Kojo0403

Reaction score
as i mentioend abv, i m rather disapted w Syfe reits, anyone still holding to this blindly?

the last column is Syfe! nt Only it cant outperform the rest , it is with too MUch volatility! too much
image-1.png

blindly imitatg the Iedge doesnt help! https://www.sgx.com/indices/products/sreitlsp#Product Information

some ask why m i wdrawg / transf out of my SYfe reits?

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...alanced-journal.6491191/page-5#post-135680086
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...alanced-journal.6491191/page-5#post-135735356
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...pdates-part-3.5575909/page-223#post-135836173

https://endowus.com/insights/webina...g+7pm&utm_campaign=100821-Webinar-China250821
Comparison-s-reits-other-markets-market-cap.PNG

interestingly none of the active fund managed to outperform MSCI US Reits Index of 38.1% 1Y return ending 30-June.
Probably that’s why benchmark was mentioned but not the benchmark return.

s0crates

Reaction score

That's true. Quite biased of them to share the funds' performance that way, they might just have downselected funds based on recent outperformance. I think in general the consensus is that beyond broad based equities market, active management from fund managers do better than index, passive investing.

Sure S&P 500 or MSCI ACWI is hard to best consistently long term, but when it comes to fixed income investing or even something like emerging market, sector specific investing, having an active manager is more likely to bring in better returns

agreed..
Endowus has gotten rather agressive lately in bashing their competitors.
including nasty remark at FSMone when they reduce their fees to 0.30%. not very professional.

Where is it at? I want to see see look look and jiak popcorn lol. I rather have more cut throat competition than playing nice and not delivering/articulating value. I can see the aggression quite a few times by Endowus... Got a webinar at safra with other robos... The Endowus boss no give face just critique the pooled investment structure and active asset allocation of syfe and stashaway.

dappermen

Banned
Reaction score
some of them r just Apac or Euro focused nt fair to compare w 1 pure US Reits MSCi? & i believe the horizon is More than 3yr-5 or Longer

Kojo0403

Reaction score
That's true. Quite biased of them to share the funds' performance that way, they might just have downselected funds based on recent outperformance. I think in general the consensus is that beyond broad based equities market, active management from fund managers do better than index, passive investing.

Sure S&P 500 or MSCI ACWI is hard to best consistently long term, but when it comes to fixed income investing or even something like emerging market, sector specific investing, having an active manager is more likely to bring in better returns

Where is it at? I want to see see look look and jiak popcorn lol. I rather have more cut throat competition than playing nice and not delivering/articulating value. I can see the aggression quite a few times by Endowus... Got a webinar at safra with other robos... The Endowus boss no give face just critique the pooled investment structure and active asset allocation of syfe and stashaway.
if you look at their slide on outperformance of active fund managers- the % of outperformance has dropped from 3% to 1% across 1 to 7 yrs. this has only proven one thing. it’s hard for active manager to outperform over the long run. if you project it out to 10-15 yrs, probably underperformance starts to show up.

Kojo0403

Reaction score
some of them r just Apac or Euro focused nt fair to compare w 1 pure US Reits MSCi? & i believe the horizon is More than 3yr-5 or Longer
best approach is to show the benchmark returns so that investor would know if the fund indeed outperform.

Nonetheless, if the context is to show that investing in overseas REITS can delivery better return at lower/comparable volatility.
1Y return is a very weak argument if not misleading to investors.

MSCI China has performed much better in 2020 than S&P 500 with 30%+ return. But that does not guarantee/reflect it’s performance in 2021 or over the long term.

JetStorm

Reaction score
Investors may also prefer to invest something they know about and closer to home. Sure world reits may super perform, but I dont know those companies.

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some questions we may ask:

- What are the performances of the funds if we look back more than 1 year? 5, 10, 20 yrs? Year-by-year?

- What is the geographical distribution of the funds? Eg. The US is now talking about housing bubbles. It should be quite easy to see why a fund that is heavy in US reits would be doing well over the past year, but at the same time, it would also carry much heavier risk.

- What is the management cost (or even Initial Charge) of the funds? We should also look at performance *after* the charges have been factored in, not before.

- Are there other fees involed? (Some funds I have seen charge 'performance fees', where if the fund does well, they take an additional fee for doing well.) Again, do the performance figures include that? Because it will certainly fit into investor performance.

- And because these are all actively managed, we should also be looking at what is the past performance of the managers working on the funds? Do they have strong, above average historical returns in this or other funds? If not, why would we believe that they can outperform in this fund?

I'm sure there are many more.
The point is not to make a decision because of 1 table that only looks at 1 year's results.
Do our own due diligence.

Kojo0403

Reaction score
Some questions we may ask:

- What are the performances of the funds if we look back more than 1 year? 5, 10, 20 yrs? Year-by-year?

- What is the geographical distribution of the funds? Eg. The US is now talking about housing bubbles. It should be quite easy to see why a fund that is heavy in US reits would be doing well over the past year, but at the same time, it would also carry much heavier risk.

- What is the management cost (or even Initial Charge) of the funds? We should also look at performance *after* the charges have been factored in, not before.

- Are there other fees involed? (Some funds I have seen charge 'performance fees', where if the fund does well, they take an additional fee for doing well.) Again, do the performance figures include that? Because it will certainly fit into investor performance.

- And because these are all actively managed, we should also be looking at what is the past performance of the managers working on the funds? Do they have strong, above average historical returns in this or other funds? If not, why would we believe that they can outperform in this fund?

I'm sure there are many more.
The point is not to make a decision because of 1 table that only looks at 1 year's results.
Do our own due diligence.
well-said

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://investmentmoats.com/money/c...ome-robo-advisers-full-year-2020-2021-update/
Coincidentally, kyith also did a one year analysis on some robo portfolios. But said right out that deciding based on one year performance is stupid.

It's a good read to see what he does with one years performance and what he thinks people should think about when selecting portfolios.

It's also good to note that Kyith is employed by Providend and they advocate long term investing with DFA and low cost index funds. I don't think this affects his analysis but it is always good to know the background of the commenter so we can look out for bias.

In my opinion, it's much better than most of the youtuber analysis out there.

s0crates

Reaction score
https://investmentmoats.com/money/c...ome-robo-advisers-full-year-2020-2021-update/
Coincidentally, kyith also did a one year analysis on some robo portfolios. But said right out that deciding based on one year performance is stupid.

It's a good read to see what he does with one years performance and what he thinks people should think about when selecting portfolios.

It's also good to note that Kyith is employed by Providend and they advocate long term investing with DFA and low cost index funds. I don't think this affects his analysis but it is always good to know the background of the commenter so we can look out for bias.

In my opinion, it's much better than most of the youtuber analysis out there.
What he didn't highlight was that stashaway and Syfe has basically no track record relative to the funds used by moneyowl and Endowus.

If you actively tweak the portfolios, you need a track record else how else people gonna assess you? By performance la.

If you passively invest, then the performance of the fund you use is your track record.

Many people can just use VWRA or whatever index as their "track record" IF they can invest passively.

Unfortunately no one see it's that way.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.