Where to tailor clothes, continued...

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Ascottage trunk show in Singapore this weekend through Benjamin Barker tailors

I wonder what the prices will be like?

 

Baggio10

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
7
Hi a lot of guys here has very good figures so I think it makes it easier to get good tailors to do it.
Any good tailors for large big size guys?
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Hi a lot of guys here has very good figures so I think it makes it easier to get good tailors to do it.
Any good tailors for large big size guys?
Actually size is less of a factor compared to posture. You may be slim but have bad posture or uneven shoulders which may be more challenging to fit.

If you're worried about your size, get a good shirt tailor and just go for it!
 

Reddit

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
734
Reaction score
147
Hi a lot of guys here has very good figures so I think it makes it easier to get good tailors to do it.
Any good tailors for large big size guys?


Me! I'm a big guy with a lot of meat. I just made this jacket at lai en. My wife took these two candid shots of me while I was chatting with the tailors, so what you see is what you get.

The jacket fits well and seems very neat, especially since this is the first jacket I made with them.

If you like to know more about my experience with lai en, let me know!
 

Baggio10

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
7
Actually size is less of a factor compared to posture. You may be slim but have bad posture or uneven shoulders which may be more challenging to fit.

If you're worried about your size, get a good shirt tailor and just go for it!
I used to do my shirts at Kimdo and pants at xin en , however like you guys advise, you need to tell them what you want and I’m as clueless as them.

my fit is between Uniqlo XL and XXL.
Is it better to get from Uniqlo and alter?

how is the size wise for Kamakura?
 

Baggio10

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
7


Me! I'm a big guy with a lot of meat. I just made this jacket at lai en. My wife took these two candid shots of me while I was chatting with the tailors, so what you see is what you get.

The jacket fits well and seems very neat, especially since this is the first jacket I made with them.

If you like to know more about my experience with lai en, let me know!

Hey that really looks good.
You chose the fabric yourself?
 

Reddit

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
734
Reaction score
147
Hey that really looks good.
You chose the fabric yourself?
Yes. They have lots of small swatches to choose from. I picked a brownish fabric as I already have a blue jacket made by another tailor.

The lai en one definitely fits better.

I don't have a front shot. I try take one for you tomorrow.
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Many trunk shows in Singapore recently…another one coming up. Again, I wonder what the prices will be?

 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60


Me! I'm a big guy with a lot of meat. I just made this jacket at lai en. My wife took these two candid shots of me while I was chatting with the tailors, so what you see is what you get.

The jacket fits well and seems very neat, especially since this is the first jacket I made with them.

If you like to know more about my experience with lai en, let me know!

Post here! Your jacket looks awesome!
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
I used to do my shirts at Kimdo and pants at xin en , however like you guys advise, you need to tell them what you want and I’m as clueless as them.

my fit is between Uniqlo XL and XXL.
Is it better to get from Uniqlo and alter?

how is the size wise for Kamakura?
Is the gap in terms of fit or style? If it is a fit issue and you would still like to tailor, my suggestion is to get the best fitting cheap shirt such as one of Uniqlo's wear it to the tailor and tell then what you don't like about the fit so they have a good base to work from.

If it is a style issue then you'll have to do your own homework, whether in terms of tuition fees to the tailors or just browsing through good looking shirts until you know what sort of details fit your aesthetic.

Kamakura is RTW so it really depends on your body type. When I was slimmer, their shirts used to fit me in the body but not the neck and sleeves. Thankfully I'm more prosperous now and can comfortable fit into one of their OTR style. Their value proposition for me is that they are extremely good value for their price point. Nothing else at that price point comes close.
 

Reddit

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
734
Reaction score
147
TADAA! Front pics!

The sleeves are all crumpled as I bend my arms quite a lot when I teach.

Things I would like to change
1.The jacket is shorter than I'd like.
I'm definitely going back to make another, so I would request that they make it at least 2 inches longer.

2.The armholes are slighter lower.
However, that could very well be due to the fact that I asked for bigger sleeves as my arms are thick. I'm not sure if anything can be done at all, because I need my sleeves to be more loose.

3. Button stance
For my next jacket, I would also like to lower my button stance by an inch or two

Things I like
1.I'm really happy with the lapel width and roll.
The head honcho lady was very careful when she measured my chest, so that the lapel rests flat. It takes a lot of effort of ensure the front lies neatly against my chest as my moobs are large.

2. A reassuring experience
They are experts. At no point do I feel that I'm being measured by inexperienced tailors. All I had to do was tell them what I wanted and stand straight and look pretty.

3. The front, back and shoulders look neat
I have little knowledge as this is only my second jacket. Nonetheless the overall look is tidy, without strange creases and folds.

4. Value for money
I shan't say much about this, except that the jacket is excellent value.

Overall, I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
TADAA! Front pics!

The sleeves are all crumpled as I bend my arms quite a lot when I teach.

Things I would like to change
1.The jacket is shorter than I'd like.
I'm definitely going back to make another, so I would request that they make it at least 2 inches longer.

2.The armholes are slighter lower.
However, that could very well be due to the fact that I asked for bigger sleeves as my arms are thick. I'm not sure if anything can be done at all, because I need my sleeves to be more loose.

3. Button stance
For my next jacket, I would also like to lower my button stance by an inch or two

Things I like
1.I'm really happy with the lapel width and roll.
The head honcho lady was very careful when she measured my chest, so that the lapel rests flat. It takes a lot of effort of ensure the front lies neatly against my chest as my moobs are large.

2. A reassuring experience
They are experts. At no point do I feel that I'm being measured by inexperienced tailors. All I had to do was tell them what I wanted and stand straight and look pretty.

3. The front, back and shoulders look neat
I have little knowledge as this is only my second jacket. Nonetheless the overall look is tidy, without strange creases and folds.

4. Value for money
I shan't say much about this, except that the jacket is excellent value.

Overall, I would recommend them wholeheartedly.


Honestly the jacket looks great! Much better than what Lai En was making 5 years back.

I agree with your pointers too, although the virtue of working with a mtm block might not allow for amendments as detailed in the things you would like to change.
 

Reddit

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
734
Reaction score
147
Honestly the jacket looks great! Much better than what Lai En was making 5 years back.

I agree with your pointers too, although the virtue of working with a mtm block might not allow for amendments as detailed in the things you would like to change.
Oh yeah that's a good point. I'll have to ask them the next time.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top