Where to tailor clothes, continued...

Rong626

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
181
Anyone has experience with collaro? I want to make use of their trial price but I'm not confident in doing self measurements
 
Last edited:

Moratia

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
62
Anyone has experience with collaro? I want to make use of their trial price but I'm not confident in doing self measurements
I've made quite a few items with them when they were still at Chinatown, but I've never had to measure myself before. Always pretty satisfied with the items I got
 

Rong626

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
181
So I decided to try collaro. They said if I make x3 items, I could head down to their office to be measured. Went for a shirt and 2 pants. A bit pricey to what I'm used to but I kinda like their attention to detail
 

fabiaN__

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2001
Messages
6,320
Reaction score
24
Anyone has experience with collaro? I want to make use of their trial price but I'm not confident in doing self measurements
Dangerous once they nail the fit. I never visited them physically before but have entered my own measurements.

Happy with the final products but their pricing is not the cheapest... And I noticed it's creeping upwards.
 

zerodddd

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2016
Messages
131
Reaction score
13
Hi there. I need your input. Comparing half-canvassed and full-canvassed, is there any reason I should choose the former one, despite price?
I heard from more than one that full-canvassed is too soft (while half-canvassed is kinda rigid) so more folds and pleats may show as I move. Is it true?
I am also curious on which one is more breathable?

Thanks a lot!
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Hi there. I need your input. Comparing half-canvassed and full-canvassed, is there any reason I should choose the former one, despite price?
I heard from more than one that full-canvassed is too soft (while half-canvassed is kinda rigid) so more folds and pleats may show as I move. Is it true?
I am also curious on which one is more breathable?

Thanks a lot!
Canvas is at front side and lapel of jacket, usually the folds at arm and groin area, not front side of jacket.

half canvassed got 2 types, 1 type is bottom half is fused, the other type bottom half is empty, ie zero inter layer. My half canvassed suits belong to the latter. They are actually lighter and softer than full canvassed. Likely more breathable too, but maybe not as good as full canvassed to keep you warm.

https://www.oliverwicks.com/article/half-vs-full-canvas
depends how price sensitive you are, most of the time when you pay full canvassed, the handwork more ( half canvassed maybe 80% while full canvassed can be 100%, even woven label also hand sewn) and already included in the price. E.g if you go for bespoke, it always full canvassed. The price already factor in. Half canvassed may have to top up. I go for full canvas if fabric is super 140 and above because fabric is very thin and need some structure but l prefer soft construction.

other than that, I cannot tell you till 10 years later whether which one has higher durability.
 
Last edited:

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Hi there. I need your input. Comparing half-canvassed and full-canvassed, is there any reason I should choose the former one, despite price?
I heard from more than one that full-canvassed is too soft (while half-canvassed is kinda rigid) so more folds and pleats may show as I move. Is it true?
I am also curious on which one is more breathable?

Thanks a lot!
Lining will be the biggest factor for breathability. Get your jacket self or unlined. Will you ne wearing the jacket often? If not, then go for half canvassed.
 

Rong626

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
181
Bought some on sale fabrics and was relieved to hear from the tailor that there's enough to make shirt/pants

8Zw7z0h.jpg
hvVr8YH.jpg

JZPduHI.jpg
M32cpU7.jpg


I was thinking top 2 for pants and bottom 2 for shirts
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Bought some on sale fabrics and was relieved to hear from the tailor that there's enough to make shirt/pants

8Zw7z0h.jpg
hvVr8YH.jpg

JZPduHI.jpg
M32cpU7.jpg


I was thinking top 2 for pants and bottom 2 for shirts
From Collaro? If fabric is 150 cm width, normally 1.3m enough for anyone 180 cm and below, more may be needed if you are adding trousers cuffs. 1.5m enough for someone 1.9m tall.

for shirt, for 140cm width, normally 170 cm enough for L size

just a caution, unless part of a suit, plain weave like hopsack not recommended for trousers as they do not age well due to loose weave
 
Last edited:

Rong626

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
181
I didnt know about the draping issue for hopsack. But im casual these days so I hope won't be too glaring
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
I didnt know about the draping issue for hopsack. But im casual these days so I hope won't be too glaring
The hopsack is a strange piece if it doesn’t include a woven label. It doesn’t have a selvedge which most European retail version fabrics have. I can only think of it as a direct OEM factory batch and it’s an overrun that came into the retail market.
 

zerodddd

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2016
Messages
131
Reaction score
13
Thank you.
Finally I chose to get a half canvassed one. Just think it is my first jacket but wont be the last, so can leave the full-canvassed for future.

Regarding lining, I find it needs to even top up an amount if choose unlined, do you know why?
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Thank you.
Finally I chose to get a half canvassed one. Just think it is my first jacket but wont be the last, so can leave the full-canvassed for future.

Regarding lining, I find it needs to even top up an amount if choose unlined, do you know why?
More effort to sew/seal the seams with lining nicely.
 

bbbbbw

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
348
Been going to Oxford since 2015. Since 2015 till now, made 20 shirts and 6 pants
 

Greysky

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
25,620
Reaction score
550
Does anybody has a recommendation for 2 piece suits? Am considering CYC but also hoping if there are others?

Budget is 700-1.2k
 

Greysky

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
25,620
Reaction score
550
Used to tailor at Dylan and son, but post covid I put on a lot of weight and my shirts, trousers and suits don't fit anymore.

I visited Esquire tailor for a shirt and trousers but yet to collect.

Anyone has a under 150 per shirt tailor to recommend? Hybrid working condition and also no longer in CBD, so prefer value for money

CYC 3 shirts 150 ea
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top